http://www.cbssports...l-of-fame-track

#82 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

I gotta say - I'm fairly shocked.  Not making the playoffs is one thing, but I never expected a Buck-led team to tank like this.  This is about as bad as the year we signed all the Victors.  Not even competitive.  What the heck is going on?  This team is not this bad.

#83 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

Buck's time here has followed the script to a tee. He inherited a disaster, made sense of it, took them to the doorstep of the championship, then lost the team. I'd love to think that this team would make the WS after he left but that's not happening here so I guess it's not following the script after all.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

This isn't remotely on Buck. Man I might have to avoid O's talk if this is going to be a thing. That's certifiably insane.
  • Dr. FLK, BobPhelan and SammyBirdland like this

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

Just saw your remark in the game thread. If you're really just asking the question is fair I guess. I mean his past trends are on my radar too. But he's earned the benefit of the doubt for sure either way.

#86 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Completely agreed. Just grasping at straws no matter how hard I need to grasp. Just trying to make sense of this mess.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#87 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

This isn't remotely on Buck. Man I might have to avoid O's talk if this is going to be a thing. That's certifiably insane.

To be clear, I'm not remotely blaming Buck.  I'm just surprised the team is tanking the way it is.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Tanking implies they are doing it on purpose.  Does anyone actually think that?  They're certainly playing like complete dogshit, I just don't think tanking is the right word to use. 

Imploding, perhaps?  This mostly feels self-inflicted.  It's not like we had a rash of injuries in mid-August that sparked this streak.  It's the same guys that were getting the job done to at least a modest degree through mid-August and now the wheels have completely come off.  Those that have struggled all year aren't getting any better (worse perhaps in a few cases) and the guys that have been good are falling off a bit recently.  And while the schedule is getting much harder, that's not nearly a drastic enough change to justify or explain this level of struggle.  Add up all the things that have gone wrong and are going wrong with this team, and it still shouldn't add up to 1-12 or whatever we've been the last couple weeks.

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

And as far as Buck is concerned, when did he become an issue for people?  Ridiculous to even suggest he's a root cause of this or is doing something that led to the dip or isn't doing something that would fix it. 

I think people constantly make the mistake of thinking things are simple and there is an obvious explanation for why something is going well or going poorly.  It's an incredibly complex mechanism with lots of moving parts.  "Buck has lost them" isn't a good explanation.

• RShack likes this

#90 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

People want an explanation that fits on a bumper-sticker...

• tennOsfan likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#91 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

It's just interesting. Buck's past has followed a similar script in NY, ARZ and TEX...and so far that script has played out similarly in Baltimore.

Not saying he's lost the team or this is his fault. Far from it. Just looking at this bad stretch of baseball and comparing it to those previous experiences.

Like I said, it could be grasping at straws...just trying to make sense of all this.

#92 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Tanking implies they are doing it on purpose.  Does anyone actually think that?  They're certainly playing like complete dogshit, I just don't think tanking is the right word to use. 

I think you can use the word "tanking" either way,  Either way, that's just semantics.  If you want to say imploding, that's fine.

• Mackus likes this

#93 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Buck's time here has followed the script to a tee. He inherited a disaster, made sense of it, took them to the doorstep of the championship, then lost the team

Not saying he's lost the team or this is his fault.

Does not compute.

I'm not really sure what Buck could do - the starting pitching is imploding, the entire lineup is in a slump, and there's no depth anywhere.  I don't see what plan B even would be.  The three catcher gambit was just a cry for help.

#94 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

Does not compute.

Because you left out the second half of my first post:

I'd love to think that this team would make the WS after he left but that's not happening here so I guess it's not following the script after all.

#95 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

It's just interesting. Buck's past has followed a similar script in NY,

What script did he follow in NY?   

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#96 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

Sean's point is right. There has been a consistent pattern with Buck's tenures in other organizations.

It doesn't mean it will happen here or anything like that but you can't bury your head in the sand about it either.

I find it interesting that the talk now is that we need more vet leaders and that is the issue. Isn't Buck supposed to be that? Isn't he supposed to be good enough to rise above all that?

Btw, I think that's just something to lean and isn't really a legit reason why you are losing, so I'm not buying into that theory.

#97 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Sean's point is right. There has been a consistent pattern with Buck's tenures in other organizations.

What did he do in NY that supposedly fits a pattern?

#98 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

The reason they are losing is because the talent on the field is not playoff-adequate.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#99 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

I think you can use the word "tanking" either way,  Either way, that's just semantics.  If you want to say imploding, that's fine.

My 401k is tanking as we speak. I'm not doing it on purpose.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#100 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

The reason they are losing is because the talent on the field is not playoff-adequate.

Basically the same talent was playoff-adequate last year. 

Last year the same 6 starting pitchers we've had this year pitched to a 3.63 ERA over 956 IP (161 GS).  This season, they've combined for a 4.58 ERA over 735.2 IP (124 GS).

I think that's by far the biggest reason for the team's record falling off. 

Was anyone's offseason plan to have any less than 4 of those guys in the rotation?  I know many (including myself) suggested trading away a SP for help elsewhere (or salary relief in Ubaldo's case if possible).  Some, but fewer, suggested trading away two of those guys for help elsewhere and signing/trading for a better pitcher to join the rotation.  I can't remember anybody suggesting we only move forward with 3 of the 6 from 2014 and bring in two new (hopefully front-end) SP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=