#121 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

I'll tell you what, leaving Rondon in to start the 7th in a 5-5 game yesterday when you knew Betances and Miller were on the horizon AND you had Givens ready was a very bad error in judgement. 

I'm the most positive, Orange colored glasses guy I know, and rarely, if ever criticize Buck, but I was yelling at my TV before the walk and the single. Forget being mad at Matusz yesterday, that one was on Showalter. 

I said this in the game thread: I don't care if you're out of the playoff picture, and just want to play spoiler, you have to still try to win games, and put guys in position to do so, for one of the first times I can remember, he didn't do that. 

Overall though, this slump isn't on him, the unspectacular starting rotation did us in here. 

@beginthebegin71

#122 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Was there anything to suggest the pitching would regress so badly after last year?

I mean, it seems like the Orioles and those that support this past offseason dont have any answers for the pitching but all the answers for the hitting aspect.

It goes back to an argument that Jeremy and RShack had earlier this year.

Should you expect a #4 starter to give you consistent, mediocre performances or do you expect them to give you excellent performances 20% of the time, good performance 20% of the time, average performance 20% of the time, bad performance 20% of the time and awful performance 20% of the time (the percentages are all made up)?

If Jeremy is correct then it could mean that pitching performance is hard to predict and that therefore there are no answers. Or more accurately, the answer is that pitchers have bad years and even the best teams don't win each year (just look at the Nats).

• Mike in STL likes this

#123 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

Was there anything to suggest the pitching would regress so badly after last year?

I mean, it seems like the Orioles and those that support this past offseason dont have any answers for the pitching but all the answers for the hitting aspect.

Why did they do nothing to get better if they were an 83 win team that got lucky and over achieved?

There was reason to think several guys might get worse, but not to this degree.  Last year Tillman, Chen, Norris,  Gonzo, Ubaldo and Gausman (listed in order of GS) had ERAs of 3.34, 3.54, 3.65, 3.23, 4.81, and 3.57.  If you want to look at FIP or xFIP as a projection of what they "should" have produced, the numbers are 4.01/4.20, 3.89/3.75, 4.22/3.98, 4.89/4.46, 4.67/4.48, and 3.41/3.93, so you might have expected the same cast of characters to pitch to about those numbers (but a bit lower considering our excellent defense that those stats attempt to isolate).  Every pitcher except Chen this year has not only been worse in ERA, but they have a worse ERA than they did FIP or xFIP last year.  ERAs of the same group are 5.15, 3.48, 6.69, 4.85, 4.24, and 4.59.  Even the absolute biggest pessimist never would have predicted this level of terrible pitching from this group, even if they included a couple of them getting injured (which didn't happen, everyone's been healthy this year for the most part).

They should have expected a little bit of a step back form the SP and made a move to improve the offense to counteract.  I don't think suggesting that they should ahve dumped 3 or 4 of the 2014 starters and replaced them with Guasman and 2-3 others is a reasonable suggestion.  At most, you could say they should have traded away two guys and added Gausman and a FA or trade acquisition (but that'd be costly in terms of either money or talent).  But even that plan would still have led to a disaster this season, because the complete meltdown (not just slight backslide) of 5 of the 6 SP we had in 2014 isn't something anyone could have really predicted..

• Mike in STL likes this

#124 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

?

Nothing suggested the pitching to regress "bad" but those peripherals that some say have no predictive value suggested a decent drop off.

Now, they suggested the same thing the last few years and, as a group, it didn't happen. They were able to out pitch them. What is ironic is the defense has stayed really good, although it wasn't the first 4 weeks or so of the season.

#125 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

I'll tell you what, leaving Rondon in to start the 7th in a 5-5 game yesterday when you knew Betances and Miller were on the horizon AND you had Givens ready was a very bad error in judgement. 

I'm the most positive, Orange colored glasses guy I know, and rarely, if ever criticize Buck, but I was yelling at my TV before the walk and the single. Forget being mad at Matusz yesterday, that one was on Showalter. 

I said this in the game thread: I don't care if you're out of the playoff picture, and just want to play spoiler, you have to still try to win games, and put guys in position to do so, for one of the first times I can remember, he didn't do that. 

Overall though, this slump isn't on him, the unspectacular starting rotation did us in here. 

I think it was a case of Buck under-managing... a while ago, I said that a decision of his was over-managing... usually, I think he does just-right managing, but I think he's been rattled by the recent and ongoing tailspin...  

IMO, he's not easily rattled, but the last few weeks have done it...  no matter how much he knows about baseball, he's still just a man...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#126 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

Winning a few games would help.  Come on Buck & The Gang, do it for BSL!

• Markus likes this

#127 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

The team sucks...people are pissed.

That being said, Mackus was dead on.

#128 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

Buck Showalter, after being asked if he was surprised that tonight was Dylan Bundy's first major league strike out:

"Really? Tonight was his first? (Pauses a perfect beat) Well, it won't be his last"

I love our goddamn manager.
  • Stringer Bell likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#129 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Buck Showalter, after being asked if he was surprised that tonight was Dylan Bundy's first major league strike out:

"Really? Tonight was his first? (Pauses a perfect beat) Well, it won't be his last"

I'm gonna say something that some people will find crazy, but I mean it. Buck is my favorite Oriole ever.

#130 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

Buck Showalter, after being asked if he was surprised that tonight was Dylan Bundy's first major league strike out: "Really? Tonight was his first? (Pauses a perfect beat) Well, it won't be his last" I love our goddamn manager.
I'm gonna say something that some people will find crazy, but I mean it. Buck is my favorite Oriole ever.
I'm on board with that thought. Buck's importance to the organization simply cannot be overstated in my opinion. He brings an air of legitimacy that no one else could. And he really knows his stuff.

#131 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

draft pickz :D
@DJ_McCann

#132 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

SVP and Timmy K wish Showalter a happy Six-Oooooooooooo! Never gets old. https://www.facebook...50632929749990/
  • fishteacher likes this

#133 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:04 PM

Jones isn't close to statue worthy.

Buck is. 

#134 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:06 PM

Buck is.

He hasnt won anything yet and hasn't been here long enough.

#135 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:08 PM

Buck is. 

He needs a ring and a few more years here...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#136 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:08 PM

Weaver won 1. Buck's work with this oragnization after 13 shitty years has been remarkable. 

#137 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

Weaver won 1. Buck's work with this oragnization after 13 shitty years has been remarkable. 

I should have said he needs to get to the WS... he needs to be here a bit longer... and he needs to be a lock for the HOF...

#138 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

Weaver got to more and won a bunch of games
And division titles.

Not comparable right now.

#139 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

Are retiting numbers and statues equivilant in your mind. Maybe just retire his number and not a statue. I know this, he deserves more than just the O's HOF where every scrub form the 70s gets in. 

#140 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

Are retiting numbers and statues equivilant in your mind. 

They are for the Orioles...  other teams have lesser standards for retiring a number... the O's require being a lock for the HOF...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=