Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, but for how long?

Not sure, maybe the ALCS the following year? If you remember, it's not like the Yankees had much success between 1982 and 1993 (the whole Don Mattingly era). 1994 was a good year but marked by the strike.
@levineps

#42 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

USA Today had a nice article today about Buck Showalter. Talked about his professionalism, his attention to the basics, and the importance of peer pressure and how the players should care what their teammates think of them. I've always heard that you shouldn't care what people think, but in team sports, it makes sense. Don't want to let your teammates down.

http://www.usatoday....oles/57845626/1
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mrbeanage

#43 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Even babies love Buck.

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#44 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Angelos in clubhouse. Congratulating players. Says no extension talks yet with Buck but certainly wants him to stay.

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Extend the man.

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Extend the man.

While I am down with that, part of me keeps thinking about the Buck curse where he leaves a team and they win the WS. NYY and AZ.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I wouldn't worry about that, not yet. Doesn't seem like there's any hostility at all in that locker room. Seems like the best environment we've had in a very long time.

#48 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,856 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about that, not yet. Doesn't seem like there's any hostility at all in that locker room. Seems like the best environment we've had in a very long time.

Any reports, videos, etc that discuss what Buck said to the team in the clubhouse following the loss? He seemed pretty emotional at the press conference after the game. You could tell he really was caught up in the moment.
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

http://www.cbssports... ... his-winter

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

No brainer. Had to get done and seems it will.

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Well deserved. We have a good manager who can work with DD and Peter. Has to happen.
@mikeghg

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

ESPN: Orioles manager Buck Showalter is the Marylander of the Year

http://articles.balt...er-orioles-team
Good choice IMO.
@levineps

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

CSN Baltimore: Buck experimenting w/ switching positions
http://www.csnbaltim...ching-positions

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Bump.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Bump.

I hear ya Stoner... after a loss like that, I could go for one or two.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

I hear ya Stoner... after a loss like that, I could go for one or two.

I had my doubts about Buck before he was hired (not in his ability, but I had preconceived notions about his communication skills... and wondered how long he could last here), and was pretty much immediately proved wrong.

He has been great, really great in a lot of facets since he was hired.

I also was not exactly sure I loved where the organization was before Duquette was hired, and there were rumors of Buck becoming the GM, or sharing GM responsibilities as the Mgr. I wondered how things would work with him and Duquette.

Again, my worries were proven to be wrong. Him and Duquette have developed a strong working relationship, and they've done outstanding work building the organization together.

To me, game management is pretty low on the totem pole of my concerns about a Mgr.  Maybe that is counter-intuitive to many. To me, most managers would operate pretty similarly in most game situations. I think where people separate themselves in the industry is by how they communicate with their players, coaches, front office, media.... the accountability they have for their own actions, and demand from others.... the preparation that is done before events arise.... the ability to provide a calming influence, and a voice for the organization... the ability to keep a team mentally prepared... putting tough losses (or great wins) behind them, and focusing on the next day.

Bnickle believes Buck has cost the O's a handful of games this year, and he could be right about that. I certainly didn't love the decision tonight to leave Chen in to face Hosmer in the 8th, when you were going with a short bench, and extended bullpen. That said, I think even if Buck has cost the O's particular games this year.... he continues to deserve significant credit for building the winning atmosphere that currently exists with this team.

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

I don't like the idea of assuming that most managers would react the same way to most situations and so we should be OK with it. That just means the team should be looking for someone different than "most" managers.

I mean, that's the kind of thinking that gives Ned Yost and Clint Hurdle multiple managing jobs, and excuses Ron Washington from his part in losing two World Series.

@DJ_McCann

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I had my doubts about Buck before he was hired (not in his ability, but I had preconceived notions about his communication skills... and wondered how long he could last here), and was pretty much immediately proved wrong.

He has been great, really great in a lot of facets since he was hired.

I also was not exactly sure I loved where the organization was before Duquette was hired, and there were rumors of Buck becoming the GM, or sharing GM responsibilities as the Mgr. I wondered how things would work with him and Duquette.

Again, my worries were proven to be wrong. Him and Duquette have developed a strong working relationship, and they've done outstanding work building the organization together.

To me, game management is pretty low on the totem pole of my concerns about a Mgr.  Maybe that is counter-intuitive to many. To me, most managers would operate pretty similarly in most game situations. I think where people separate themselves in the industry is by how they communicate with their players, coaches, front office, media.... the accountability they have for their own actions, and demand from others.... the preparation that is done before events arise.... the ability to provide a calming influence, and a voice for the organization... the ability to keep a team mentally prepared... putting tough losses (or great wins) behind them, and focusing on the next day.

Bnickle believes Buck has cost the O's a handful of games this year, and he could be right about that. I certainly didn't love the decision tonight to leave Chen in to face Hosmer in the 8th, when you were going with a short bench, and extended bullpen. That said, I think even if Buck has cost the O's particular games this year.... he continues to deserve significant credit for building the winning atmosphere that currently exists with this team.

I cant deny this. I love Buck and what he has meant to this organization but he pisses me off sometimes. I'm never going to stop be demanding and critical even when I'm a fan.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Roar from 34: Has Buck Showalter worn out the O's?
http://roarfrom34.co...out-the-Orioles

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Roar from 34: Has Buck Showalter worn out the O's?
http://roarfrom34.co...out-the-Orioles

I don't agree here. I think fatigue may have contributed (although I don't share that belief so much) to the team not making the postseason but I don't think it's the primary factor. I think the main reason is their talent level (or lack of). I think a worse bullpen is the biggest reason. Unless something has changed in the last week, they are the worst team in one-run games. The games they were winning last year that they aren't this year are because of the bullpen performance I believe.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=