#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Saw it a while back, like how they can be loose from time-to-time, can never take anything too seriously.
@levineps

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Showalter has obviously done a lot of good for the organization overall, and this year.

I don't make it a priority to 2nd guess every move he makes, but I'm fairly irritated by the managing tonight.
I don't understand why it took Murphy's double, making it 4-1 Texas, with runners at 2nd and 3rd for the O's to get a reliever up in the pen.

You are carrying an extra reliever, and the team is off tomorrow. It should have been all hands on deck. After Cruz followed Beltre's 2nd homer with a single, I would have had someone up. I definitely would have had someone up after Young's single. After Murphy's double, I would have made the move.

Instead, Hunter remained in the game, and walked Soto, allowed the Slam to Moreland, and the single to Kinsler.

Buck has to take some responsibility for the results tonight.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Showalter has obviously done a lot of good for the organization overall, and this year.

I don't make it a priority to 2nd guess every move he makes, but I'm fairly irritated by the managing tonight.
I don't understand why it took Murphy's double, making it 4-1 Texas, with runners at 2nd and 3rd for the O's to get a reliever up in the pen.

You are carrying an extra reliever, and the team is off tomorrow. It should have been all hands on deck. After Cruz followed Beltre's 2nd homer with a single, I would have had someone up. I definitely would have had someone up after Young's single. After Murphy's double, I would have made the move.

Instead, Hunter remained in the game, and walked Soto, allowed the Slam to Moreland, and the single to Kinsler.

Buck has to take some responsibility for the results tonight.

Yep...no way Hunter should have faced Moreland.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

Buck better hope the O's offense finds a run or more to win tonight, or he is going to get a lot of questions about letting Strop stay in the game after the 4 pitch walk to Dickerson.

#25 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Now that the O's have ended 14 consecutive losing seasons, when do they start talking to Showalter about an extension? He has one year remaining on his original deal.

Roch: New contract not a hot topic for Showalter or Orioles

Talks could take place over the winter or during next season. There's no timetable - I certainly tried to uncover one - but it's going to happen.

A high-ranking official said the Orioles "obviously want him to stay."

Showalter has done "a fantastic job and that will be taken up in due course," the official said. "We don't want him to leave. We want him to stay and he's going to stay. He's a special guy."

It's been a special season. Showalter eventually will be rewarded for it beyond the wins and accolades, assuming he wants to be here.

http://www.masnsport... ... ioles.html
@MKlein76

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Now that the O's have ended 14 consecutive losing seasons, when do they start talking to Showalter about an extension? He has one year remaining on his original deal.

Roch: New contract not a hot topic for Showalter or Orioles

http://www.masnsport... ... ioles.html

I think giving him a two-year extension and a nice salary increase is in order. Not too concerned about this, I think this can be handled in the offseason.
@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

ESPN: Buck Showalter changed

http://espn.go.com/m...er-same-changed
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@levineps

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

ESPN: Buck Showalter changed

http://espn.go.com/m...er-same-changed

Good stuff.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

I think giving him a two-year extension and a nice salary increase is in order. Not too concerned about this, I think this can be handled in the offseason.

When Angelos is the owner, I am always concerned, but not locking up Buck will be on par with losing Davey Johnson. Real baseball managers are not as available as many think.

Perlozzo, Mazz, Trembley, Miller etc. are all good baseball people but do not equal top shelf managers.

Buck changed the culture....pay the man.
@mikeghg

#30 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

That article is good... and it references this one: http://www.mensjourn... ... l-20120904

Towards the end of that one, it mentions that when Brenley replaced him to manage the Desertsnakes, he mad a show of tearing up Buck's baseball manual in front of the team. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that manual. I bet it's pretty much an updated version of The Oriole Way manual. IMO, lots of us think we know a whole lot more about baseball than we really do. Not talking about stats about baseball, but about baseball itself. I bet everybody here would learn a ton of stuff we had no clue about if we could study either the old O's version or the newer Buck version.

If anybody here knows somebody who knows somebody, if you can somehow get a copy of either one, I will do anything for you to get a copy of it.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

When Angelos is the owner, I am always concerned, but not locking up Buck will be on par with losing Davey Johnson. Real baseball managers are not as available as many think.

Perlozzo, Mazz, Trembley, Miller etc. are all good baseball people but do not equal top shelf managers.

Buck changed the culture....pay the man.

Buck and Angelos are said to have a good relationship, something him/DJ didn't. Remember the stories that Angelos was going to give Buck too much power last year and many went ape-sh*t over it? I also think Angelos has mellowed down as well, like Buck.
@levineps

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

That article is good... and it references this one: http://www.mensjourn... ... l-20120904

Towards the end of that one, it mentions that when Brenley replaced him to manage the Desertsnakes, he mad a show of tearing up Buck's baseball manual in front of the team. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that manual. I bet it's pretty much an updated version of The Oriole Way manual. IMO, lots of us think we know a whole lot more about baseball than we really do. Not talking about stats about baseball, but about baseball itself. I bet everybody here would learn a ton of stuff we had no clue about if we could study either the old O's version or the newer Buck version.

If anybody here knows somebody who knows somebody, if you can somehow get a copy of either one, I will do anything for you to get a copy of it.

That's what I think every night with all the second guessing. It's a lot easier to talk from your couch than from the dugout, applies to any sport. And as Buck as referenced before, he's privy to information that doesn't get disclosed to the general public.
@levineps

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Unless Showalter suddenly decides to retire, he will be back, as his expiring contract is not an issue.

Here is my question. With the success the O's have had this year, is there anything that could happen going forward which would make you want to make Managerial change? Or with this success, would you like to see Buck have a LaRussa, Scioscia type run with the Birds, and only leave the organization at his own choice?

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Unless Showalter suddenly decides to retire, he will be back, as his expiring contract is not an issue.

Here is my question. With the success the O's have had this year, is there anything that could happen going forward which would make you want to make Managerial change? Or with this success, would you like to see Buck have a LaRussa, Scioscia type run with the Birds, and only leave the organization at his own choice?

I don't give him a blank check and let him stay however he likes. Who knows, this may be one magical season and then next year the team is awful.

But I definitely give him an extension. He's been very good ans has his players believing in his system.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

While it seems like a good idea now to let him serve as long as he wants, it may not be a good idea in a few years. Also, not sure if Scioscia is going to be able to leave on his own terms. It sounds like he'll be back no matter what next year, but if he misses the playoffs this year and next, I think Moreno might make a change. It's pretty obvious he doesn't enjoy the power he once did with the Mickey Hatcher firing.
@levineps

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

While it seems like a good idea now to let him serve as long as he wants, it may not be a good idea in a few years. Also, not sure if Scioscia is going to be able to leave on his own terms. It sounds like he'll be back no matter what next year, but if he misses the playoffs this year and next, I think Moreno might make a change. It's pretty obvious he doesn't enjoy the power he once did with the Mickey Hatcher firing.

Probably worded poorly with Scioscia, but as you said, he will be back for his 14th season next year. That is pretty much the definition of 'forever' in pro sports.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Probably worded poorly with Scioscia, but as you said, he will be back for his 14th season next year. That is pretty much the definition of 'forever' in pro sports.

Agreed, any coach that makes a decade in pro sports and even major college sports to a lesser extent, is doing something right. In the era, of "what have you done for me lately" and "instant gratification," it's very tough to have a long career at one place.
@levineps

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

It was never baseball that got Buck fired... it was either an a-hole owner or Buck's pushiness or some combination that did it... I am 100% sure Buck has learned stuff about Buck along the way... I think it's his job for as long as he wants it.

If he leaves on a sour note, I will be disappointed... it will mean somebody has effed-up... whether that will have been Buck or his boss, I dunno....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

It was never baseball that got Buck fired... it was either an a-hole owner or Buck's pushiness or some combination that did it... I am 100% sure Buck has learned stuff about Buck along the way... I think it's his job for as long as he wants it.

If he leaves on a sour note, I will be disappointed... it will mean somebody has effed-up... whether that will have been Buck or his boss, I dunno....

I think he keeps his Yankees job if he wins Game of the ALDS in 1995.
@levineps

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think he keeps his Yankees job if he wins Game of the ALDS in 1995.

Yeah, but for how long?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=