Photo

EDIT: 2017 Vacations -- Where are you going?

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#201 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,977 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Why are they there?

My sister just moved a couple weeks ago.  Took a job as contractor to EUCOM working Missile Defense projects.  She used to work at the same place I do (different department, not space) and live about 3 blocks from me, so it's been a big change.

Her sister has been overseas for several years now.  She married a British Army...I think he's Lt Col now.  They've lived in several overseas spots over the years, but have been back nearish to London for about 3 years now.

#202 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hopefully booking a trip to Merida, Mexico today. Going to be in Sept or Oct. Will also be staying in Progreso, a beach resort town to the north of Merida. And taking day trips all around the area: Campeche, Izamal, Chichen Itza, etc... Hope it pans out. Yucatan is a truly awesome place...and underrated since people rarely every branch out from Cancun and the Mayan Riviera.

So our friends bailed and we wanted to go with another couple on this trip so I guess it'll have to wait.

Flirting with San Antonio and Austin later this month.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#203 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Sablet later this month.

Sweet. Check out Nimes and Avignon if you can. I wanted to visit when I was in France but couldn't make it work.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#204 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Flying to Charleston for a quick trip Sept. 23-25 to visit a friend.

Can't beat it for $60...trading in coins at Coinstar for a Southwest gift card is a no brainer.

Enjoy it.

Next season of Top Chef is filming there, not sure if they've shot it all yet so you may run into some of that.

#205 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

So it's been a crazy few weeks deciding where my wife and I wanted to go. We knew we wanted to do a trip, wanted it to be relatively inexpensive, so we settled on Amsterdam in early November. We booked through WOW Air, which flies out of BWI and connects through Iceland. Tickets are cheap -- it is a budget airline -- but it ended up costing us around $750 for us both to fly, round trip. Decent priced air to Europe is more than that -- for just one person.

#206 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,977 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

You including baggage?  Wow gives you the tiny personal item for free, like a purse or backpack, but think it's about $30 for a carry-on and $50 for a checked bag each way.

Still, it's often way cheaper if you don't mind the connection.  Or if you are intending to travel to Iceland, which seems like a cool place to go.

#207 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

Yeah we're probably going to have to buy a check in, which is $68 each way. A rip off but even then we're still flying for much less than any other airline.

We've flown through Iceland before -- it's not bad. Small airport so the layovers are usually only an hour or so and it looks neat flying into it. It's about 5 hrs to Iceland and another 2.5 to Amsterdam so about 9 hrs total.

Definitely want to go Iceland at some point.

#208 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

So it's been a crazy few weeks deciding where my wife and I wanted to go. We knew we wanted to do a trip, wanted it to be relatively inexpensive, so we settled on Amsterdam in early November. 

Frites!   Then later... more frites!

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#209 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,977 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

Stuttgart, GER and just outside Marlborough, UK in December.  Haven't booked flights yet but probably about a week each visiting my sister and my wife's sister, respectively.

Just booked this.  Was almost $300 a ticket cheaper to leave Wednesday night instead of Friday night, so my vacation has grown by 2 days!

#210 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Just booked this.  Was almost $300 a ticket cheaper to leave Wednesday night instead of Friday night, so my vacation has grown by 2 days!

Must be nice.

#211 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Not sure about now... but back when I was flying a lot, the cheap days were Tues and Wed... and cheap tickets appeared once it got down to 50 days in advance...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#212 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Amsterdam this Sunday thru Saturday. Pretty stoked. 

• Russ, Mackus and Nigel Tufnel like this

#213 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

I went to the Anne Frank House today. So moving...I've never been that moved from a museum or memorial...it stayed with me all day and probably will for a long time.
  • RShack likes this

#214 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Amsterdam's one of my favorite cities for just walking around, especially on the canal streets... when I'm tired of walking I'd take a canal boat ride along the same streets... it's one place I felt instantly at home...

Plus...  frites!  (They have some magic something that our french fries just don't... I think it's the mayo-like frite sauce...)

Plus... incredibly amazing Indonesian food... with a bunch of good places clustered on whatever that street is...

#215 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:44 AM

Friendliest people I've ever experience abroad. It was an amazing trip. Sucks I missed all the WS excitement but it was worth it. Can't recommend this city enough.

#216 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:25 AM

^^^^^

Plus, they all speak English better than we do   ;-)

#217 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Quick turnaround, going to Punta Cana with the folks for their 40th anniversary 12/3-12/10. PC has been getting drenched with what is looking to be the early stages of a hurricane that will hopefully be long gone by then. I could use some time at the beach with a cold Presidente or a hundred.

Hard to believe I'm going to need to start a new thread in a few weeks for 2017...

But next year it's looking like a couple of big trips are possible. I have a friend who is turning 40 and wants to take a big trip, either to Hawaii or a smaller Caribbean island, and I've been trying to steer her toward St. Maarten since there's a Home Away I really want to rent there and it's surprisingly not that expensive although the airfare is. Then, in late August, early September we're thinking of doing another long trip, either Spain, or Argentina. I really want to go somewhere new (we've been to Europe 7 times) and Argentina has been on my list forever, but the flights are brutal and pretty expensive. And, I would like a reason to buckle down and really try to learn some Spanish.

Iceland always looms large, too.

#218 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

Sean are you hiring yet?

#219 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

I know it'll be 2017, but I'm officially heading to Vegas for the first time in February. Can't wait. My wife is more excited than I am.

Gambling, strip clubs, drinking...can't really ask for much more.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#220 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:34 PM

We have all that in Baltimore though. 🤓

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=