Photo

EDIT: 2017 Vacations -- Where are you going?

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#181 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,977 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

Creating the illusion he's got friendz... Nice.

I'm actually sleeping on the street in a cardboard box.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#182 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

I at least thought you'd find a van near the river or something. At least the flight sounds nice.

#183 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

I'm actually sleeping on the street in a cardboard box.

If you haven't been to SF recently, you should know you will have a lot of company. Good luck finding a decent box for a reasonable price. Oh, and you might want to consult this map before setting up camp.

#184 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Just got home last night from Germany/Italy/Croatia. Pretty wiped out, but an awesome time! I'll try to share some pics when I have a chance. Only 10 days before Alaska.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this

#185 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

My sister is moving to Germany in about a month, Stuttgart.  Not sure when, but imagine I'll be visiting at some point in the not too distant future.

#186 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

My sister is moving to Germany in about a month, Stuttgart.  Not sure when, but imagine I'll be visiting at some point in the not too distant future.

My sister too, just outside Munich. The main reason I was over there was to attend her wedding ceremony, which was held in Verona, Italy. But I'm already trying to figure out how soon I can get back.

#187 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Just got home last night from Germany/Italy/Croatia. Pretty wiped out, but an awesome time! I'll try to share some pics when I have a chance. Only 10 days before Alaska.

Where in Croatia did you go?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#188 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Where in Croatia did you go?

Part way down the Dalmatian coast. I made it to Zadar, and then followed some good advice and took the ferry from there out to Dugi Otok. That was gorgeous and relatively quiet compared to the rest....tons of tourists.

Sadly, and as often happens, I ran out of time to do everything I wanted (had hoped to make it all the way to Dubrovnik). But if I had done that there would have been a couple very long days of driving, not seeing the sights in between, which isn't really how I prefer to travel. And I would have missed out on two really fun days hanging out with my sister and (new) brother-in-law in Munich at the end. Just gives me more incentive to go back though, is how I see it.

#189 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Part way down the Dalmatian coast. I made it to Zadar, and then followed some good advice and took the ferry from there out to Dugi Otok. That was gorgeous and relatively quiet compared to the rest....tons of tourists.

Sadly, and as often happens, I ran out of time to do everything I wanted (had hoped to make it all the way to Dubrovnik). But if I had done that there would have been a couple very long days of driving, not seeing the sights in between, which isn't really how I prefer to travel. And I would have missed out on two really fun days hanging out with my sister and (new) brother-in-law in Munich at the end. Just gives me more incentive to go back though, is how I see it.

Yup.

I want to go back too, the furthest north I made it was Split.

When you go back, look into flying into and out of Podgorica, Montenegro. Much cheaper than flying into Dubrovnik and Kotor is an awesome place to spend a night or two. Crossing the border was a cinch and there's a shortcut to avoid the main crossing into Croatia too, especially at peak times.

So hit me up if you ever head back there.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#190 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Yup.

I want to go back too, the furthest north I made it was Split.

When you go back, look into flying into and out of Podgorica, Montenegro. Much cheaper than flying into Dubrovnik and Kotor is an awesome place to spend a night or two. Crossing the border was a cinch and there's a shortcut to avoid the main crossing into Croatia too, especially at peak times.

So hit me up if you ever head back there.

Cool, I will definitely do that. The lines at the borders in and out of Croatia (the only non-Schengen country I went through) were pretty rough. Though apparently they are working to join the Schengen region, so hopefully that makes things better eventually, at least for those coming from the north.

#191 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

We went in late August, like the 29th or something through mid September. No crowds whatsoever but Dubrovnik was crowded. But that could have been from cruise ships.

#192 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

Glad you're home safe from Munich:

http://www.usatoday....enter/87439922/

#193 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

Mercedes' home base... which means that's where their cool car museum is...  and Porsche's nearby...

My sister too, just outside Munich. 

BMW's home base... which means that's where their cool car museum is... up near the '72 Olympics site (where the massacre happened)...

Car trivia I learned at the Mercedes museum... until ~1921, they put the steering wheel the right (wrong?) side of the car where the British put it... but the Germans never drove on the British side of the road... they always on our side of the road...

The steering wheel moved because the threat moved... early on, the big danger was large holes along the outside edge of the road... so that's what they wanted the driver looking at... by the 20's, the roads had improved a lot... enough that speeds were higher... which meant the bigger threat became collision with oncoming traffic... so they moved the steering wheel over to that side of the car so the driver could pay better attention to that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#194 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

Glad you're home safe from Munich:

http://www.usatoday....enter/87439922/

And glad my sister and brother-in-law are honeymooning in Rome right now.

• You Play to Win the Game and NewMarketSean like this

#195 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Glad you're home safe from Munich:   http://www.usatoday....enter/87439922/
  And glad my sister and brother-in-law are honeymooning in Rome right now.
Yeah should have asked about that too.

#196 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hopefully booking a trip to Merida, Mexico today. Going to be in Sept or Oct. Will also be staying in Progreso, a beach resort town to the north of Merida. And taking day trips all around the area: Campeche, Izamal, Chichen Itza, etc... Hope it pans out. Yucatan is a truly awesome place...and underrated since people rarely every branch out from Cancun and the Mayan Riviera.

#197 aurelius

aurelius
  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:14 AM

Sablet later this month.

#198 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

Stuttgart, GER and just outside Marlborough, UK in December.  Haven't booked flights yet but probably about a week each visiting my sister and my wife's sister, respectively.

#199 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

Stuttgart, GER and just outside Marlborough, UK in December.  Haven't booked flights yet but probably about a week each visiting my sister and my wife's sister, respectively.

Why are they there?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#200 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,369 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Flying to Charleston for a quick trip Sept. 23-25 to visit a friend.

Can't beat it for $60...trading in coins at Coinstar for a Southwest gift card is a no brainer.

• NewMarketSean likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=