#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

This is part of why I was glad they called him up and we were rid of Chavez. To me, there is just a much greater chance of McLouth being worthy of starting vs that same chance with Chavez. Nate hasn't been excellent at the plate, but he's been good enough, including a few big hits, has speed on the base paths, and plays a solid LF. I've been very pleased with what he's contributed since his arrival.

His biggest contribution was replacing Endy. He was killing us at the plate. I have been very surprised and happy with McLouth in the field. He is a gamer type which i like plus seems to know his limits.
@mikeghg

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

He has a 521 OPS..stop batting him third!

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

.683 with the Orioles, which might still make your point, but is a difference.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

.683 with the Orioles, which might still make your point, but is a difference.

Still awful.

His defense helps but hit him further down in the lineup.

Bat Wieters third.

I would rather see NM batting second vs Hardy though.

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

He's there because he has usually had good OBP... last year, it was higher than every Oriole except Nick

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

1). That's why he should bat second.

2). Comparing his obp to orioles hitters is pretty meaningless.

#27 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

2). Comparing his obp to orioles hitters is pretty meaningless.

When he's part of the Orioles lineup, that makes it very relevant and not at all meaningless...

SG, what the hell's the matter with you lately? You've routinely been pretty much quality this season, but lately not so much. What's up?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

When he's part of the Orioles lineup, that makes it very relevant and not at all meaningless...

SG, what the hell's the matter with you lately? You've routinely been pretty much quality this season, but lately not so much. What's up?

His OBP being better than everyone on last years team is meaningless. That isn't even worth something pointing out.

And his better OBP is a good reason to bat him second, not third. He should be in a table setting position in the lineup, not a run producing spot.

And if you want to talk about last years stats as if they matter, his slugging would have ranked way down the list on the team, tied with Andino.

So again, makes no sense to bat him third when we need a real second hitter and McLouth profiles well as a #2 hitter.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well, regardless of where he should be batting... or how likely we think it is for him to find and sustain his prior form; I'm enjoying seeing him play right now.

He has definitely improved the OF defense. With his crushed homer last night, he is up to a .753 OPS in his 55 ab's with the O's. (14 for 55, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 hr, 6 rbi, 5 bb's, 8 k's)

#30 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Well, regardless of where he should be batting... or how likely we think it is for him to find and sustain his prior form; I'm enjoying seeing him play right now.

He has definitely improved the OF defense. With his crushed homer last night, he is up to a .753 OPS in his 55 ab's with the O's. (14 for 55, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 hr, 6 rbi, 5 bb's, 8 k's)

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks of him as a #3 hitter, but I love what he's bringing to the team. Good defense, seems to have good overall at bats, can work the walk, and the speed.

The first inning is a perfect example of why you need to have SOME speed. He steals 2nd, the throw is wild and he advances to 3rd. Then a wild pitch and all of a sudden we've scored a run while only getting 1 single. It puts pressure on the defense and puts them in positions where they must execute, and sometimes they're going to make mistakes.

@AdamWolff

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

The Orioles are having Yankee-like luck this year with left for dead pick ups who have performed very well in big moments.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

His HR swing last night was picture perfect. Looked like Griffey, to me.

If he can give us a 700-750 OPS the rest of the way that would be huge. He's already dramatically improved what we were seeing defensively out there.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

And his better OBP is a good reason to bat him second, not third. He should be in a table setting position in the lineup, not a run producing spot.

So again, makes no sense to bat him third when we need a real second hitter and McLouth profiles well as a #2 hitter.

If it makes some sense to bat him second, then it cannot possibly make zero sense to bat him third. Second certainly may be a better option than third, and I would agree that it is, but there isn't nearly enough difference between the order with McClouth at #2 versus McClouth at #3 to justify one combination being smart and the other being stupid. They are very nearly the same thing.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks of him as a #3 hitter, but I love what he's bringing to the team. Good defense, seems to have good overall at bats, can work the walk, and the speed.

Not going to complain about his placement in the order as long as we are winning, that's all. I don't think of him in the such a crucial lineup position either.
@levineps

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I enjoyed his performance last night, very easy guy to root for.
@levineps

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

If it makes some sense to bat him second, then it cannot possibly make zero sense to bat him third. Second certainly may be a better option than third, and I would agree that it is, but there isn't nearly enough difference between the order with McClouth at #2 versus McClouth at #3 to justify one combination being smart and the other being stupid. They are very nearly the same thing.

Except they aren't the same thing. You want the 2 NM guys setting the table for Wieters, Jones, Reynolds, etc..

With Hardy up there, it makes it harder to set the table.

Plus, with Nick on base so much, having the lefty to exploit the hole between first and second is a nice luxury to have.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Except they aren't the same thing. You want the 2 NM guys setting the table for Wieters, Jones, Reynolds, etc..

With Hardy up there, it makes it harder to set the table.

Plus, with Nick on base so much, having the lefty to exploit the hole between first and second is a nice luxury to have.

You're talking two slightly different things when bringing Hardy into the discussion. I agree completely that Hardy and his embarrassing OBP have no business being anywhere near the top of the lineup.

I'm just saying that there really isn't that much difference between batting 2nd or batting 3rd in terms of impact on the team. Sure you can make the typical arguments about batting style - table setters v. run producers - and protection and the hole at 1B, those are all valid arguments. I just don't think it really makes that much difference over the long haul.

I do completely agree that we should be doing everything possible to optimize the lineup, since we're no longer in a long haul but a shorter sprint and those very few runs of difference may actually mean something this season while we're in a pennant race.

I still would lean towards Quintanilla batting 2nd, at least until he cools off, against RHP and Reynolds against lefties. And I like Wieters in the 3-hole for the reasons you've stated previously. If McClouth can stay or get hot (or if Q and/or Reynolds slump), I don't mind him at all at the top of the order.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

You're talking two slightly different things when bringing Hardy into the discussion. I agree completely that Hardy and his embarrassing OBP have no business being anywhere near the top of the lineup.

I'm just saying that there really isn't that much difference between batting 2nd or batting 3rd in terms of impact on the team. Sure you can make the typical arguments about batting style - table setters v. run producers - and protection and the hole at 1B, those are all valid arguments. I just don't think it really makes that much difference over the long haul.

I do completely agree that we should be doing everything possible to optimize the lineup, since we're no longer in a long haul but a shorter sprint and those very few runs of difference may actually mean something this season while we're in a pennant race.

I still would lean towards Quintanilla batting 2nd, at least until he cools off, against RHP and Reynolds against lefties. And I like Wieters in the 3-hole for the reasons you've stated previously. If McClouth can stay or get hot (or if Q and/or Reynolds slump), I don't mind him at all at the top of the order.

Bingo!

Quint has cooled off..and isn't that good.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Quint has cooled off..and isn't that good.

He's 0-16 or so right now, which obviously is an issue, but he was hot before that. I can see thinking that he's done riding his wave and on the way back down. And, McClouth has hit well recently, so I'm cool with making that change now. I would still like to see Reynolds there against lefties with McClouth replaced in LF by someone who can hit LHP.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Plus, according to sabermetrics, #2 is a more important spot than #3.

I'd rather him not hit in either of those spots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=