#61 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

If(when) Markakis is re-signed, I'd bat him leadoff.

Although he's never really batted 3rd, I'd likely keep DeAza nad bat him 3rd against RHers and add someone like Rickie Weeks to bat against LHers.  Weeks could add depth to 2B and 3B also.  Pearce goes from DH to LF against LHers.

There's no use in Lough if you are keeping DeAza.  Someone like Weeks (or another RHed bat) would be taking Lough's spot.  DeAza can play all the OF positions and has a better bat.  The only question is whether you think DeAza at 6M is better than Lough at 500k.  Don't need both, given the other roster needs.

#62 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

The other way to look at RF/LF at leadoff and 3-hole is through LAD.

Orioles could put together a quality package for LAD and if they were willing to take back some of Crawford's salary make a play to get Pederson.

Instead of Markakis for 10M and DeAza for 6M, we could have Crawford for 8M and Pederson for 500k.

Trust Pederson hit hit #3?  Walked 100 times last year at AAA.

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

I'd keep De Aza over Lough.  De Aza isn't nearly as good as he hit in his time in Baltimore, but he is a more or less league average bat, especially if you can limit him to mostly facing RHP.  Lough at best is a below average bat, and while he's better defensively than De Aza, I think De Aza is good enough to be your backup CF considering how little time Jones takes off.

Only reason I'd move De Aza is if we resign both Markakis and Cruz.  If Cruz leaves, then I am fine spending $6M on De Aza, platooning him with Pearce and another cheap lefty masher to cover LF and DH.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

The other way to look at RF/LF at leadoff and 3-hole is through LAD.

Orioles could put together a quality package for LAD and if they were willing to take back some of Crawford's salary make a play to get Pederson.

Instead of Markakis for 10M and DeAza for 6M, we could have Crawford for 8M and Pederson for 500k.

Trust Pederson hit hit #3?  Walked 100 times last year at AAA.

Hasn't the Dodgers trading Pederson as part of a salary dump ship already sailed?  Pederson will be in their OF next year.  You may be able to get someone like Crawford or Ethier for very little and have LA throw in a bunch of money, but they aren't also trading Pederson.

#65 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hasn't the Dodgers trading Pederson as part of a salary dump ship already sailed?  Pederson will be in their OF next year.  You may be able to get someone like Crawford or Ethier for very little and have LA throw in a bunch of money, but they aren't also trading Pederson.

I don't know....they haven't called me back yet and I've only gotten one stalker notice.  I usually don't stop calling until I get the second or third one.  It's excellent that Friedman called you back though. 

Nothing has sailed until they resolve the situation that has to be resolved.  The pieces don't fit....and every time it's discussed, you seem to have the approach where they don't have to bite the bullet somewhere.

If their OF is CF-Pederson, LF Puig, RF Kemp

then.....Crawford (3/62), Ethier (3/56) and VanSlyke are largely useless

IF that's the approach, then they are straight dumping (or releasing, 100% cost, no return) those guys and use someone like VanSlyke to help get something done (or trade him elsewhere too)

Still have to address C, one SP and bullpen (plus whatever they decide to do on the left side of the infield)

They certainly could choose to do that.

I'd suggest something like...

Wieters, MGon, Lough and Hunter for Crawford, 38M, Pederson and Windle

....would benefit the Dodgers more in terms of winning than (what appears to be) the more likely option above.

We agree it's not going to happen with the Orioles, although it's still not clear what the Dodgers will do....I do find it comical how the Dodgers OF situation is generally being reported.  They don't want to act desperate, but it's a desperately bad situation and I question how many teams are looking to help out the Dodgers.

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

Lough for 500k vs De Aza for 6.5M?

#67 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

I think Lough is better than a lot of people seem to think.  The problem is that people formed their first impression of him when he was lousy because of some combination of having his brain rattled and having the O's trying to change who he is at the plate.  Once he got past all that, he was fine... but lotsa folks seem to not have noticed that.

Given how lots of folks are preoccupied about how much money the O's should not-spend, I would think Lough would be much more of a preference than he seems to be.  

In addition to everything he brings in his own performance, having him in LF also begins a chain reaction that probably will make Nick have better D-stats.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

Vs Nick for 11 or so million per year for 4 years. Pick 2 and factor in Pearce. Nick is the odd man out there for me, at least if that saved money is used wisely.

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

Vs Nick for 11 or so million pretty year for 4 years. Pick 2 and factor in Pearce. Nick is the odd man out there for me, at least if that saved money is used wisely.

I don't want Nick for 4 years...but I would take him for 3 years over any of them.

#70 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

Vs Nick for 11 or so million pretty year for 4 years. Pick 2 and factor in Pearce. Nick is the odd man out there for me, at least if that saved money is used wisely.

I don't want Nick for 4 years...but I would take him for 3 years over any of them.

I wouldn't. De Aza/Pearce platoon is likely to out produce Nick IMO. Lough is likely to be at least close to as good as Nick overall for peanuts.

#71 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

I think Lough is better than a lot of people seem to think.  The problem is that people formed their first impression of him when he was lousy because of some combination of having his brain rattled and having the O's trying to change who he is at the plate.  Once he got past all that, he was fine... but lotsa folks seem to not have noticed that.

Given how lots of folks are preoccupied about how much money the O's should not-spend, I would think Lough would be much more of a preference than he seems to be.  

In addition to everything he brings in his own performance, having him in LF also begins a chain reaction that probably will make Nick have better D-stats.

I think Lough is one of those guys that looks good until he's given playing time and then falls apart. Someone like Ryan Flaherty. But I probably take him over De Aza if it saves 5 million dollars.

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

I'll take De Aza at $6M over Lough at $500k.

De Aza may only be a couple million better, but I think he's a pretty safe bet for at least a low 700s OPS, whereas with Lough that is more close to his ceiling, he's probably a safe bet for a 625 OPS if forced to play that much.  Lough is likely better defensively, but De Aza is a good defender so it's not a big enough offset to make up for the offense. 

If we go with Lough out there instead and save the money, I'm not sure where else we spend it besides perhaps on a bullpen arm.  I don't really think there is any move out there that we can't make with De Aza in LF that we can make with Lough in LF and an extra $5M or so to spend in 2015.  That's just a guess, maybe Angelos does have a hard ceiling, but I get the impression it's more of a soft cap that Duquette is working with.  If a big time move come along as a possibility, such as resigning Cruz for say 4/$60M, I don't think whether we are paying Lough or De Aza for 2/3 of the LF platoon is going to make much of a difference on the team convincing Angelos to spend that money.

#73 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

If we go with Lough out there instead and save the money, I'm not sure where else we spend it besides perhaps on a bullpen arm.

I'm presuming the savings will either be spent on someone different (player or prospect) or invested for future years (to build a warchest for 2015). Otherwise, I'd go with De Aza also.

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

MLBTR: Non-Tender Candidate De Aza

http://www.mlbtrader...dro-de-aza.html

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

MASN: De Aza's importance growing in quiet offseason

http://www.masnsport...-offseason.html

#76 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

I could see De Aza having a .275/.330/.420 type of season in this ballpark, if he's used sparingly against LHP. 

Also, before last season, his splits were not bad against LHP.   It just seems like he was really bad last season.

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

CBS Sports: Orioles, De Aza set for arbitration hearing Feb. 20

http://fantasynews.c...-hearing-feb-20

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

De Aza is my pick to surprise. Think he can be pretty productive in a full season here under Buck. 

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Can't believe they're going to arbitration over a $650k gap.  Good luck beating the O's, Alex.

#80 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

When I first saw this, I figured de Aza was just being a dope and digging in... but then DD was quoted as saying things that sounded to me like the O's began by giving him a take-it-or-leave-it offer... which seems kinda provocative to me... I'd think you'd leave a little wiggle room in there, just to show that you're a little bit flexible... unlike DD, I don't see the benefit of being rigid about it right out of the box...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=