330 replies to this topic

#161 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Any chance we can raise the char-limit on karma-comments?

There's been a few times where I really wanted to say something complimentary to folks about their posts, and 100 chars is just a soundbite. Do we even need a limit? If we do, then a limit of, say, 500 chars would be swell.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#162 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Any chance we can raise the char-limit on karma-comments?

There's been a few times where I really wanted to say something complimentary to folks about their posts, and 100 chars is just a soundbite. Do we even need a limit? If we do, then a limit of, say, 500 chars would be swell.

If we can make the change, glad to do it. I'll get Sam to take a look when he gets the chance.

#163 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

If we can make the change, glad to do it. I'll get Sam to take a look when he gets the chance.

Thanks... I'm not writing paragraphs, just a couple of sentences... honest...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#164 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

I realize that Sammy found no obvious way to do this... but just an FYI...

I finally gave up and just marked everything as read... that way, I won't have "false reds" because of some unread thing on p3... anyway, when I did that, the confirmation message did *not* say "all forums marked as read"... instead, it said "selected forums marked as read"... which kinda implies that there is some way to select them, does it not? Or maybe that confirmation msg is just a tease, Louise...

Oh, I get it now, I was being a dope... you can be selective about marking things as read, but only at the forum level... you can nuke just a subforum but you can't be selective within a forum. Probably everybody else knew that, but it just now dawned on me... I was thinking it was all or nothing for the whole board...

#165 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks... I'm not writing paragraphs, just a couple of sentences... honest...

Yeah, same here. I've had to change things a time or two...sometimes just doesn't have the same ring with a character limit.

#166 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

I do appreciate the Sammy-tweak that auto-prevents posts from including quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes. But I often kinda wish it still would let you go 2 quotes deep rather than just 1 quote... especially when you're quoting somebody who is crediting another source.

Re: the desire to permit quotes that are 2-deep rather than just 1-deep: Is this just me, or do other folks like that idea too?

ps: This is small potatoes, not a big deal...

#167 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

I do appreciate the Sammy-tweak that auto-prevents posts from including quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes. But I often kinda wish it still would let you go 2 quotes deep rather than just 1 quote... especially when you're quoting somebody who is crediting another source.

Re: the desire to permit quotes that are 2-deep rather than just 1-deep: Is this just me, or do other folks like that idea too?

ps: This is small potatoes, not a big deal...

The alternative is to post the two (or more) quotes as separate quotes in your post. You can have more than one quote, just not nested.

If you click the "Post Reply" button, you can then scroll down and click the quote button for as many posts as you like. They will all be included in your new post.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#168 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

The alternative is to post the two (or more) quotes as separate quotes in your post. You can have more than one quote, just not nested.

If you click the "Post Reply" button, you can then scroll down and click the quote button for as many posts as you like. They will all be included in your new post.

Thank yewwwww....

#169 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

Just a random suggestion:

For the timestamp on each forum, where it says when the last post was underneath who posted it, could that be changed to something other than just the date and time?

At a quick glance, it's not exactly easy to tell how recently a topic has been bumped. If it said "Today, 9:47 am" instead of "Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 9:47 am" it would remove any confusion with a similar forum that says something "Tuesday, Oct 16 2012, 9:38 am".

So maybe "Today, time", "Yesterday, time", "2 days ago, time", "3 days ago, time", etc.

#170 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Just a random suggestion:

For the timestamp on each forum, where it says when the last post was underneath who posted it, could that be changed to something other than just the date and time?

At a quick glance, it's not exactly easy to tell how recently a topic has been bumped. If it said "Today, 9:47 am" instead of "Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 9:47 am" it would remove any confusion with a similar forum that says something "Tuesday, Oct 16 2012, 9:38 am".

So maybe "Today, time", "Yesterday, time", "2 days ago, time", "3 days ago, time", etc.

Thanks Mackus for the suggestion, something for us to review.
However, does not the red ring indicating new posts accomplish the idea that there are new posts?

#171 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm talking about looking from the index page when you can see all the various forums. The red ring on the side is red for all of them for me at least, even though some haven't been updated in a couple weeks.

#172 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,532 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Great suggestion Mackus - I've run into the same thing. There are some dormant threads in some sections due to the off-season in those respective categories... so sometimes I get tricked into thinking it's a new post when it's not.

My remedy was just to use the "View New Posts" link, but it would be nice if the index page showed a "Today, yesterday, etc." type of format.

#173 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm talking about looking from the index page when you can see all the various forums. The red ring on the side is red for all of them for me at least, even though some haven't been updated in a couple weeks.

It is red for you, because it is showing that there is at-least one 'new' post you have not read in that in section.

Going back to the board index, in the upper right corner you can mark 'all read'. That will eliminate the red rings until the next subsequent post.

#174 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

The "time" for posts on the board appear to be off right now. I'm guessing it has something to do with DST ending?

#175 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

The "time" for posts on the board appear to be off right now. I'm guessing it has something to do with DST ending?

Thanks, we attempted to make that change, but obviously it has not been corrected on the board. We will look at it further and get it addressed.

#176 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

If you go to your User CP, then Board Preferences, it asks you if Summer DST should be in effect.

Check "No" and you'll be all set.

#177 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you go to your User CP, then Board Preferences, it asks you if Summer DST should be in effect.

Check "No" and you'll be all set.

Yeah, but then you'll have to manually put it back on next spring, or the time will be off again.

#178 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, but then you'll have to manually put it back on next spring, or the time will be off again.

Well, yeah. But until Stoner can figure out how to automatically fix this minor issue, I'm not too worried about going to my Board Preferences and clicking a button twice a year.

#179 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,507 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Sorry if this question is long-winded, but here goes...

Is it possible to turn off the function where if someone posts a message in a thread while you are composing a post of your own, and when you try to submit your post you get sent to a message page where you are alerted about the other post before you can submit yours? This gets particularly annoying in game threads, where it will occasionally happen 2 or 3 times back-to-back due to heavy activity before you can finally make one post. I looked through the control panel but didn't see anything pertaining to that. Thanks. :)

#180 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sorry if this question is long-winded, but here goes...

Is it possible to turn off the function where if someone posts a message in a thread while you are composing a post of your own, and when you try to submit your post you get sent to a message page where you are alerted about the other post before you can submit yours? This gets particularly annoying in game threads, where it will occasionally happen 2 or 3 times back-to-back due to heavy activity before you can finally make one post. I looked through the control panel but didn't see anything pertaining to that. Thanks. :)

I think that is turned off for game threads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=