90 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Which folks are saying that?

I'm only ambiguous when people don't want their info being attributed back to them. That said, saying 'everyone' was bad form from me.

I've been told by several people that it would be Gausman if he was there. I've been told by several people it is the strong preference of the FO to take a college pitcher, with the assumption that Buxton will be gone.

Have had two people tell me Giolito and Fried, will not happen, because both players camps would refuse to sign.
  • ChaosLex likes this

#42 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm only ambiguous when people don't want their info being attributed back to them. That said, saying 'everyone' was bad form from me.

I've been told by several people that it would be Gausman if he was there. I've been told by several people it is the strong preference of the FO to take a college pitcher, with the assumption that Buxton will be gone.

Have had two people tell me Giolito and Fried, will not happen, because both players camps would refuse to sign.

Very interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I like Gausman quite a bit, and would be cool with his selection at #4.

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

That is pretty much what I expect to go down, which is not how I would play it, but I don't think Fried is worth the pick at that slot, Giolito is going to be a ??? with the CBA. I think Gausman, Appel, and Buxton go 1-3 though, so it would make #4 interesting. I was hoping if they are focused on college SP that they'd reach a bit and take Stroman over Zimmer, maybe save $500k to spend later.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 Woody Ball

Woody Ball
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

So if Appel, Buxton and Gausman go 1,2,3, I wonder if there's still a strong preference for a college pitcher.

Do we see a dropoff from Appel/Gausman to Zimmer/Stroman, where may Correa fits in? If not, I hope they go with Stroman and not Zimmer.

#45 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

So if Appel, Buxton and Gausman go 1,2,3, I wonder if there's still a strong preference for a college pitcher.

Do we see a dropoff from Appel/Gausman to Zimmer/Stroman, where may Correa fits in? If not, I hope they go with Stroman and not Zimmer.

Baseball America has Zimmer as the top college pitcher. Some have mentioned him as a possible #1 overall at certain times. I think in the scenario you mentioned that Zimmer would be the pick. The consensus seems to favor Stroman as a closer even though he sounds like he has the package to be a starter. Height and maybe a tick better fastball seems to favor the other 3 guys.

#46 Woody Ball

Woody Ball
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

So if I follow your logic, the O's will end up with one of Appel, Gausman, Zimmer or Buxton.

Personally, that list + Giolito, Almora, Stroman and Correa and I'm ok. Even Zunino would be fine. So, there are 9 players that I'm fine with, though I'd prefer the high upside guys (Buxton, Giolito, Correa, IMO) most.

#47 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

I doubt we get supremely lucky and have Buxton fall to us - even with the questions surrounding the competition that he has faced, which in turn call into question his numbers - he is still the best pure athlete in the draft and can do pretty much anything on the field.

It also helps he has his head on right and is a yes sir, no sir kind of kid.

#48 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

I doubt we get supremely lucky and have Buxton fall to us - even with the questions surrounding the competition that he has faced, which in turn call into question his numbers - he is still the best pure athlete in the draft and can do pretty much anything on the field.

It also helps he has his head on right and is a yes sir, no sir kind of kid.

I would not be shocked if Buxton fell to us. I would also not be shocked if the O's still took a college pitcher. Kind of like last year with the talk of Rendon. He fell, We passed.

#49 Woody Ball

Woody Ball
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Right. It seems like someone falls every draft. Smoak, Wheeler and Matzek also come to mind.

#50 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I would not be shocked if Buxton fell to us. I would also not be shocked if the O's still took a college pitcher. Kind of like last year with the talk of Rendon. He fell, We passed.

Rendon fell because of medicals
@JeffLongBP

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Baseball America: Mock 2.0
http://ht.ly/ba4bk

4. Orioles: Kevin Gausman

#52 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Gausman makes sense for us, especially if he's available but a part of me is starting to think the Mariners don't pick Zunino and if they don't pick him than they will be picking Guasman.

Then again - a lot of this revolves around whether Buxton is available or not after the first two picks (which I don't think he will be).

#53 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

If Buxton falls to us and Gausman is not available then we'd have to take him, I would think anyway. Too much talent and athleticism to pass up - not to mention he's got a good head on his shoulders with a supportive family.

#54 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it is late after all, but I didn't see Giolito in BA's mock. If O's are truly going BPA then Giolito HAS to be in play at 4.
@JeffLongBP

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it is late after all, but I didn't see Giolito in BA's mock. If O's are truly going BPA then Giolito HAS to be in play at 4.

The experts are afraid to put Gio in mocks because of the injury and signing concerns.
@JeremyMStrain

#56 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

The experts are afraid to put Gio in mocks because of the injury and signing concerns.

Klaw has said that based on way he knows about the medicals that he'd take him and I think he said anything over $2 million and change would get it done. What a coup it would be to get Giolito & Bundy at 4 in back to back years
@JeffLongBP

#57 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm about to do a mock, and have no intention of touching Gio. If Buxton is there I will probably take him over the college pitchers, but don't believe he will be. Gio is far too risky, both with injuries and $ right now. The Orioles have also not had any conversations with his reps, or seen him throw (AFAIK), so I find it doubtful they would take him.
@bbhrusty

#58 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'm about to do a mock, and have no intention of touching Gio. If Buxton is there I will probably take him over the college pitchers, but don't believe he will be. Gio is far too risky, both with injuries and $ right now. The Orioles have also not had any conversations with his reps, or seen him throw (AFAIK), so I find it doubtful they would take him.

I don't believe that to be true (about the O's not seeing him) but here's what I know...

His injury isn't a TJ situation, so I'm not sure that worries me all that much honestly. He just saw Karsten Whitson turn down 1st round money and get hurt at UF, so I don't think he'd turn down $4.2 million (4th pick slot $$$).

You have a chance to get the 2 best HS (and maybe 2 best overall) guys in back to back years, you take that chance.
@JeffLongBP

#59 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ok. Well 3 round Mock:

Went Gausman in the first. Came back with a plus power HS bat in Mitch Nay in the 2nd and a slightly cheaper Tim Cooney, a lefty from WF in the 3rd.
@bbhrusty

#60 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

With 8 days til the draft, based on most projections which have Appel, Buxton, and Zunino going in the top 3 picks, the odds seem to be on Gausman. Correa is my first choice but under this scenario I'm down with Gausman. Do the O's take Gausman even if one of Gausman, Appel, and Buxton is avaiable? Suppose Appel, Gausman, and Buxton are gone. Do the O's take Zunino over Zimmer, Correa, etc? Suppose Appel, Zimmer, and Gausman go 1-2-3? I suppose Buxton is a no brainer at that point, or is he? I know the O's have Buxton in for a workout but no one knows just how high they are on him. Would they pick Buxton or Zunino? It's going to be pretty interesting, watching those first 3 picks.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=