Golf General

• Please log in to reply
4232 replies to this topic

#61 Larry Sheets

Larry Sheets
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

Anyone go to Congressional last year? Went on Sunday with my dad (Father's Day). When Rory made the putt and hugged his dad it was just an awesome awesome experience.

I remember sitting in the stands by the 18th green and hugging my dad

I had 2 Greens passes for Sunday, although the wife kibashed that idea since it was Fathers Day. The passes were given to me on friday, and were $125 each. I asked the guy if he wanted them back and hesaid sell them and we'd split the money. Craigslist had them for face value mostly, so I posted them for $125 for the pair, and they sold in 15 minutes.

#62 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

I had 2 Greens passes for Sunday, although the wife kibashed that idea since it was Fathers Day. The passes were given to me on friday, and were $125 each. I asked the guy if he wanted them back and hesaid sell them and we'd split the money. Craigslist had them for face value mostly, so I posted them for $125 for the pair, and they sold in 15 minutes.

Yeah I'm not surprised. We got our tickets through Amex so we had access to the Amex tent as well. It was just an unbelievable experience all around.

Golf is, in my humble opinion, one of the best sports to watch live - if for no other reason that the awesome atmosphere.
@JeffLongBP

#63 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Tiger was so machine driven in in his first few years on tour that anything he does now has everyone running for the hills when he fails to win and every time he wins "is he back".

What Tiger has done this season alone 150 PGA golfers would instantly take as a "career year".

I would never bet against him, because his iron play is the one of the best in the history of the game. If he holes them, it will always be his tournament to lose.
@Olsen_Don

#64 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Anyone go to Congressional last year? Went on Sunday with my dad (Father's Day). When Rory made the putt and hugged his dad it was just an awesome awesome experience.

I remember sitting in the stands by the 18th green and hugging my dad

I went with my brother, who got the tickets at the last-minute then invited me, not much of a golf fan, but had a great experience there. I ran into Bob Costas as I was leaving and got to have a brief exchange with him.
@levineps

#65 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Anyone have any picks?

Tiger is an easy one, but I expect good tournaments from Westwood and Kuchar. Westwood is WAY too good to have not won a major.

@AdamWolff

#66 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Seems like long off the tee and then accuracy into greens will be a big factor this year, although I admit I haven't followed the Pre tourney coverage like I used to.

IIRC, Olympic has those "sloping" greens where balls just roll right off and into the rough if you don't hit the exact part of the green you need to hit. And with them supposedly running fast, those 2nd (3rd on par 5s) shots are going to be crucial to victory this year.
@brobey1

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Seems like long off the tee and then accuracy into greens will be a big factor this year, although I admit I haven't followed the Pre tourney coverage like I used to.

IIRC, Olympic has those "sloping" greens where balls just roll right off and into the rough if you don't hit the exact part of the green you need to hit. And with them supposedly running fast, those 2nd (3rd on par 5s) shots are going to be crucial to victory this year.

The first 6 holes are going to be a bitch. They have lengthened some of them. 247 yard par 3 is one. Length wll be important but the talk is guy like Phil and Tiger don't plan on using driver a lot, at least that's the plan.

#68 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yeah a lot of guys are complaining about that 660 yard par 5. Almost makes it a guaranteed 3 shot hole to get to the green even for Bubba.
@brobey1

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Yeah a lot of guys are complaining about that 660 yard par 5. Almost makes it a guaranteed 3 shot hole to get to the green even for Bubba.

I just love that it is in prime time. If Tiger is contention, the ratings will be through the freakin roof.

#70 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'll take Rory in this tournament.

Agree with SG, the fact that this is on the West Coast is great for us East Coasters, especially Thursday and Friday when there will still be a ton of golf to watch after work.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#71 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

Yeah a West Coast major is awesome. I mean, coverage on ESPN tomorrow is 5-10. How perfect!

@AdamWolff

#72 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm taking Tiger. It may be the "easy" pick but he's 23rd in driving accuracy right now and we all now how good is iron play is.
@JeffLongBP

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yeah a West Coast major is awesome. I mean, coverage on ESPN tomorrow is 5-10. How perfect!

It's on earlier than that too! So glad I don't have a real job!

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'll take Rory in this tournament.

Agree with SG, the fact that this is on the West Coast is great for us East Coasters, especially Thursday and Friday when there will still be a ton of golf to watch after work.

I was at Nottinghams on Sat night when Tiger won in Torrey Pines. That was the round when he was making chip ins and things like that. The whole bar was watching and going crazy. Definitely a good time.

#75 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

I was at Nottinghams on Sat night when Tiger won in Torrey Pines. That was the round when he was making chip ins and things like that. The whole bar was watching and going crazy. Definitely a good time.

Ugh. Great story, terrible bar*

*If you're talking about Nottingham's in Columbia

@bopper33

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ugh. Great story, terrible bar*

*If you're talking about Nottingham's in Columbia

I am..used to love that place..haven't been in a few years though.

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Early on, Tiger is very much under control and playing well.

Phil bogeys first 3 holes and Bubba 2 of first 3.

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Watching the Bubba/Phil/Tiger group. It's amazing how aggressive Phil is.

@bopper33

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Golf Channel: Zoeller: Tiger, Phil, Bubba won't win