#1 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Any golf fans on here? Today was a pretty cool Sunday. Tiger shoots his best ever Sunday round, an 8 under 62, but falls just short as Rory McIlroy wins and becomes #1 in the World Golf Rankings.

I think its going to be an excellent year on the PGA Tour. Without Tiger, a lot of other guys have had opportunities to step up and be the focus. Rory is the next big thing. Young guys like Bill Haas, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, and others have stepped up and played well. Phil is playing some excellent golf.

Tiger is very close to being 'back'. He's not there yet, but there absolutely have been glimpses. I'm very interested to see what he can do next week.

@AdamWolff

#2 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

If Tiger would have had his putter working in the first 2 rounds, he wins that tourney with his performance on Sunday.

I'm glad to see him getting his game back together and it is good for golf in general. It will help for ratings and should drive crowds back to the courses as well, plus Saturdays and Sundays are so much better with Tiger in contention.
@brobey1

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Next weekend's tourney should be really good...hopefully Tiger is ready to be great again.

The scary thing about yesterday is I had a dream on Sat night that Tiger won the tourney and for him to shoot that 62 and come that close was really weird.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Tiger being back would be the best thing in the world for the PGA. I love golf, and it's 100X more interesting when Tiger is on his game. Him being back to near peak form would be pretty special, going against Rory who really is going to be something special himself.

#5 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Tiger WD mid fourth round due to a lower left leg injury...brutal.

Could his career be over??
@brobey1

#6 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Word is that the injury is to his Achilles. I hope he is able to make a comeback for the Masters.
@brobey1

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Body is breaking down. It certainly makes you wonder about A. PEDs and B. how much the injury at the '08 US Open took out of him( I know the injuries now aren't the knee)C. Just how much his scandal has effected him in the long run. From a pure talent perspective it's a shame how this as all come crashing down. Jack's 18 seem pretty darn safe right now. I think he'll be a legit contender at Augusta pretty much every time he plays but outside of that course it's hard to see him being a favorite in any other major.

#8 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I remember when he hurt his knee back in 2008, I read an article about a golfer who had the same exact injury that Tiger did and he developed Achilles problems soon after getting back on the course and was never able to play at the same level again. It seems like Tiger is now experiencing the same effects and I don't think he will ever be the same again...

Back when Tiger was dominating, he only needed to play at 60% of his ability to win a tournament...with fields much deeper and the top talent much stronger, he needs to play to at least 80-85% of his ability and I don't think his body is able to withstand the strain he is putting on it now.
@brobey1

#9 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Truly my second favorite sport....

Tiger's problems go way back to the Butch Harmon days, maybe even to the days with his father as his instructor. He generated so much torque in his swing, so strong, that he torqued his lower half for years in a controlled violent manner. Your body can only handle so much that he needed oil changes.

He had a long layoff and is trying to play more rounds, which increase the wear and tear that some have already suggested that he cannot keep pace with it.

I do not think it is Tiger game going to the toilet as I think a handful of players are really hitting their groove. Rory, Arron, Justin Rose, Bubba Watson, are riding the wave. Last season it was Dustin Johnson, year before that it was Lee Westwood... basically this is a new golden era of quality golfers from around the globe. It is not the cake walk that Tiger and Phil had from 1999 to 2006, where it was an older Els and VJ that were not even in the same class weekly.
@Olsen_Don

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Had my first ever eagle on Friday!!

Drove the front of the green on a short (~275 yard) par 4, sank about a 50 foot putt that had to traverse up two big ridges (although it was pretty straight) to a back pin location. Perfect speed and line, dropped right into the cup!

#11 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Had my first ever eagle on Friday!!

Drove the front of the green on a short (~275 yard) par 4, sank about a 50 foot putt that had to traverse up two big ridges (although it was pretty straight) to a back pin location. Perfect speed and line, dropped right into the cup!

Congrats!!! I get an eagle putt once every other round or so, and most of the time, they are the 50 foot variety, like the one you had, and have never sunk one.

The closest I've ever come was driving a 330 yard (downhill) par 4 and was about 30 feet away...proceeded to 3 putt for a par :(
@brobey1

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Closest I ever got to a hole in one was a par 4. 280 ish yards with a false front. I knew I had rolled the ball up on the green off the tee but with the false front I had no idea how close I was to the hole. Get up on the green( hole is cut is front center ) and I'm 4 or 5 inches behind. SO I either rolled right past it or hit the pin. Yes, I made the eagle putt.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'd really like to start actually practicing golf more instead of just going and playing. I think I've gained all the consistency I can from playing a lot and now need to do some real work if I wanna get better. Right now I typically shoot in the upper 80s or low 90s depending on how tough the course is. Would love to get that down to typically in the low 80s and maybe occasionally breaking 80. Best round ever is currently an 81, although on a very easy course (Clifton Park).

I bought a net and a range mat and put them up on my roof of my rowhome in Canton, but there isn't much feedback on whether or not I'm making good swings even with golf tape on the clubs, and I can't really use any lofted clubs for fear I'll pop one over top of the net and send it flying into someone's house. I need a better system!

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

GO to the range and hit a small bucket while focusing on 1 or 2 things. For example I'll go and just work on 80 -100 yard shots, or just work on drawing the ball., etc. I'll never hit more than 30 or 40 balls in one practice session. Repetition and muscle memory is the key to being a consistent ball striker. So yes, practicing will help you considerably more than just going out and hitting the course. My downfall is the putter. I'm extremely inconsistent. I should probably be in the high 70's consistently but instead I'm in the mid to upper 80's.

BTW....you should be able to have a good idea on how well your hitting the ball just hitting into a net. When you consistently strike the ball pure the feedback is in the feel of the ball off the club.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

I am just starting to play again after not playing for years.

Went out and played The Hayfields on Sunday...have my first lesson this saturday...video tape my swing, etc...

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Golf Channel: 76th Masters most anticipated in recent memory?
http://www.golfchann...-recent-memory/

#17 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm super excited for this Masters. There is nothing better than the Masters with Tiger on his game...will be interesting to see if Tiger can control his driver. If he does and has the ability to hit clear 2nd shots into the greens, the tourney is his.

If he's spraying the driver all over the course and not able to place his 2nd shots into the greens the way he needs to, the tourney is wide open.
@brobey1

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Tiger Tiger Tiger!!

Can't wait for this tournament. He's played very well at Augusta recently even when he was playing badly otherwise (T-4 both of the last two years following his scandal, and has been top-6 every year since 2005). I think he's gonna win it. Will be very interesting to see what happens on Sunday if he's in the lead. Remember, before the scandal, he blew his first ever 54-hole lead at a major at the PGA to YE Yang.

I'm excited.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yahoo Sports: The 'next big thing': Didn't think a Tiger - Rory rivalry could happen? Think again.
http://sports.yahoo...._masters_040312

#20 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think Tiger has full momentum heading into the masters and has a great oppurtunity to claim victory. Experience is key for courses like augusta and the three i believe are the early favorite, although on lacks experience, is Mickelson, Mcilroy and Woods. My money is on Woods right now because i watched him play the arnold palmer invitational and from what i saw, he played his best golf in probably 5-7 years. It was great to watch.

On another note, is anyone else irritated that they wont be showing it on tv until 3? Thats pretty messed up considering most of the good pairings are in the morning. We'll hardly get to watch some of the great pairings.
@Langley486

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=