292 replies to this topic

#101 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

The Bengals have been gashed by the run as of late. Injuries to LBs and underperformance from Atkins and Peko. Their defense overall has proven vulnerable. I think both Monroe and KO will play but it will interesting to see how effective they are - that means running right will be the way to go. Week One the Ravens still almost ran for 100 yards on 20 carries. Not falling behind by two touchdowns early will help not going pass heavy so quickly.

The Ravens defense has refound it's pass rush, if they can replicate even half of what they did over the past few weeks Dalton will be forced into mistakes and they can take this game. I also have a feeling that if Green suits up he won't be able to do much.

#102 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

In Week 1, it looked to me like the Ravens were completely caught off guard by Cinci's offense. Guess they didn't know what to expect with Hue Jackson at the helm, and the Bengals came out running read option, quick screens, all sorts of misdirection, etc. They moved the ball at will most of the game. Have to think the Ravens will be ready for it this time around.

Our offense is light years ahead of where it was Week 1. We found out that Forsett can handle the load -- he's not a guy we just needed to use sparingly until Rice came back. Torrey Smith is getting things going again. Steve Smith is a monster.

This will inevitably be a hard fought game and I'll be surprised if it doesn't come down to the 4th quarter and/or a key turnover late in the game. Think our guys have just enough to get out of Cinci with the win this time.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#103 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

Is there a more Jekyll and Hyde act right now than the Bengals? Many people would contend that Cincy may have the most talented 53 man roster in the league but between injuries, poor performance and having knuckleheads like Burfict, they look like a completely different team than the one that was 3-0 just a short time ago.

The week 1 matchup was odd because the play of the WRs was just so pitiful that it killed any chances of the offense getting into a flow in the 1st half. Also, Cincy moved the ball all over the place but we kept them out of the end zone in the 1st half, which allowed us to get something going in the 2nd half and grab a lead, briefly albeit.

I generally agree with Rob's sentiment about the run game in matchups vs Cincy. Outside of the game to close out 2011 where Ray Rice had the 2 big TD runs, I can't think of a time where we stuck with the run in a close game that we trailed. That said, the WCO will use short, high percentage throws as an extension of the running game, which means that sometimes we appear less balanced.

Either way, given the success of our rushing attack and Cincy's sudden inability to stop anyone on the ground, I'll be mega annoyed if Joe throws the ball any more than 25-30 times. We need to pound them into submission and take control of the division,

• Hooded Viper likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#104 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think the Ravens are the better team right now in all facets, but that doesn't always equate to a win unfortunately. AJ Green is a hugely important player for them, and if he is out, I think the Ravens should win handedly. If he plays it will be a lot closer. The Ravens need to run the ball well and not make stupid mistakes.

@gabefergy

#105 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

I feel like it's been ages since we won there...or at least won there consistently.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens / Bengals heading in opposite directions

http://www.baltimore...1020-story.html

#107 MarkBullock

MarkBullock
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

I think Green will be key for them. They're just a completely different animal with him in the line up, which seems like an obvious thing to say. Sanu stepped up and played well in his absence, but the Bengals don't have the other receivers to be a threat on the outside. Without Green, the Ravens can play simple, stay over the top of Sanu, stay tight to Gresham and work to Bernard (if healthy) underneath and in the flat. With Green back, suddenly you have two outside threats that the Ravens have to account for, leaving more room for Gresham and Bernard to work.

#108 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

A big key for us will be good, solid tackling. The Bengals have using screens, WR screens, hitches and whatever else to get the ball out of Dalton's hands quickly. That is all well and good for keeping Dalton upright but if we can run to the football, wrap up soundly and quickly, thus limiting YAC, we'll be in good shape.

With that quick passing game in mind, we have to temper our expectations of the pass rush this week IMO. Unless Cincy all of the sudden decides to mix in a bunch of 7 step drops, I don't see another 5 sack game in the offing. But again, if we can get their WRs/TEs/RBs on the ground immediately, it won't matter if we don't get sacks. The Bengals aren't going to be able to win the game 2 1/2 yards at a time.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Sports Illustrated: Green misses 7th straight practice

http://www.si.com/nf...n-status-injury

#110 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

The Bengals Offense is not as good as Atlanta and

A big key for us will be good, solid tackling. The Bengals have using screens, WR screens, hitches and whatever else to get the ball out of Dalton's hands quickly. That is all well and good for keeping Dalton upright but if we can run to the football, wrap up soundly and quickly, thus limiting YAC, we'll be in good shape.

With that quick passing game in mind, we have to temper our expectations of the pass rush this week IMO. Unless Cincy all of the sudden decides to mix in a bunch of 7 step drops, I don't see another 5 sack game in the offing. But again, if we can get their WRs/TEs/RBs on the ground immediately, it won't matter if we don't get sacks. The Bengals aren't going to be able to win the game 2 1/2 yards at a time.

Agree with this.  We should essentially have the same defensive gameplan we had against Atlanta last week.  Their attempt to ticky tack down the field was a abysmal and they have a much better QB who has better weapons than Dalton.  The only glaring difference is Cinci's line is pretty good.  So follow the same gameplan of covering the short stuff and sounds tackling and I think we could win pretty easily.

#111 MarkBullock

MarkBullock
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

BSL: Bengals Offense Different From Week One

http://baltimorespor...erent-week-one/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#112 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Owen Daniels out. AJ Green Doubtful. Losing Daniels hurts but not as much as losing Green. 

@gabefergy

#113 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Osemele and Monroe are probable.

Canty still out.

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

Baltimore Ravens.com: Ravens need to run more to beat the Bengals

http://www.baltimore...6f-6c1238d312b6

#115 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

Looks like no AJ Green, no Malaluga for the Bengals; and of course Marvin Jones is done for the year. Burfict will post up but given the neck/concussion issues he's dealt with this year, there's a good chance he doesn't make it through all 60 minutes.

It sucks about Owen Daniels but the return of the left side of the OLine cannot be undersold. Chris' link to Eisenberg's piece on Ravens.com alludes to it but given Cincy's inability to stop the run the last 4 games (in which they given up a staggering 171 yds/game on the ground), we should be doing everything we can to literally pound the Bengals into submission. Effectively running the rock early, should force the Bengals to bring a safety into the box, which will in turn create opportunities for big plays in the passing game.

I know we've had some tough games vs the Bengals over the last few years, particularly at Paul Brown Stadium but this is sure looking like a game that the Ravens should not merely win but dominate. I don't want to get overconfident or get too far ahead of myself but I'm having a tough time trying to find a logical, analytical way that Cincy can make a game of this.

Of course, there's always "any given Sunday" and we know that any team can pretty much beat anyone else in this league. However, the match up itself is that of a team with superior health (relatively), the best point differential in the NFL and one that appears to be really finding its stride on both sides of the ball; versus a team that is riddled with key injuries, pretty lost on defense and suddenly out of whack offensively. I like this to be the proverbial "statement game" for the Ravens.

@primetime667083

#116 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

Cincy controlled the first game. In this one, there is no reason we shouldn't control it. It feels like it's whatever Ravens team shows up will decide the outcome.

#117 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Cincy controlled the first game. In this one, there is no reason we shouldn't control it. It feels like it's whatever Ravens team shows up will decide the outcome.

Or even which Flacco shows up.  Then again...the most frustrating part during the regular season over Flacco's career is that this has always been the case.  

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

With Burfict back, the run defense should be better.

I don't expect us to dominate but we should win this game given how the 2 teams are playing, injuries, etc...

That being said, Cinci is at home(where they are very good), Joe has struggled vs them and, perhaps more importantly, Cinci is the more desperate team.

A win by Cinci today makes the division tough to win for us but not impossible...a win by the Ravens today and Cinci will really have an uphill climb.

#119 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Cincy hasn't lost in 12 games at home and they just have our number. Or Joes number. Im concerned even though I feel we should control the LOS.

#120 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

This is the real Kubiak test, right?  Pees too. Can Kubiak's offense overcome Marvin Lewis's defense.  Can Pees continue to dial up an aggressive defense using stunts and blitzes effectively?  We're getting healthy, we've got Will Hill back at FS now.  There's no AJ Green most likely.  

This game will be a really strong measure of this team.

I'm guessing we're going to need to go on the road to beat the Colts or the Broncos in the playoffs at some point (if not both) and this is going to tell us about how the team will respond to big road games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=