HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...15-million-deal

hahahaha

Wow. That makes Flacco's deal look like a bargain.

#68 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Cincinnati is so screwed.
  • fishteacher likes this
@gabefergy

#69 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,879 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Flacco money and no real playoff run...good for Cincinnati...dbags. ;-)
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#70 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Man, in my next life I swear I'm gonna be a slightly above average NFL QB.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

His completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, and QB rating are all better than Flacco. Flacco has the playoff wins, but had some poor playoff games that they happend to win early in his career.

Better to pay Dalton now than $20-25M more if they go to the SB this year. Seems on par to me.
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I think Dalton is like a Matt Schaub....  I think the Bengals have a lot of talent, and that Dalton is good enough to give that team a chance to win.  I also think he is not good enough to be the 'reason' why they win.

I imagine some people Nationally look at Dalton and Flacco similarly, but Flacco's abilities are much stronger.

It's easy to say let Dalton go and look for someone better.... but there are only so many guys.  OTOH, if the talent around him drops off at all, is he going to be good enough at that point? Then you could argue they would be better off going with another rookie / young-inexperienced cheap guy that could keep the rest of the roster together.

This Bengals team should be capable of playoff wins. If they don't get back to the post-season and win games this year, Dalton's going to get (rightfully probably) crushed.

#73 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

They are so dumb they are really really dumb for real.

#74 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

His completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, and QB rating are all better than Flacco. Flacco has the playoff wins, but had some poor playoff games that they happend to win early in his career.

Better to pay Dalton now than $20-25M more if they go to the SB this year. Seems on par to me.

Dalton has one of the best OL in the league, a reliable run game, and the 2nd best WR in the NFL. He should put up MONSTER numbers and have no problem beating mediocre teams in the playoffs. 

He isn't close to Flacco's talent. 

It's better to let him walk because they will never win with him.

@gabefergy

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

They are so dumb they are really really dumb for real.

Are you suggesting they let Dalton play out his rookie contract then let him walk? Pick up a below average QB in free agency and play the lottery known as the NFL draft for a new rookie QB hoping that he can be better than Dalton in a few years?
@BSLMikeRandall

#76 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Numbers aren't telling the whole story, he's not particularly good.

#77 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Are you suggesting they let Dalton play out his rookie contract then let him walk? Pick up a below average QB in free agency and play the lottery known as the NFL draft for a new rookie QB hoping that he can be better than Dalton in a few years?

Absolutely I am, they'll never win with him, especially now that he's tying up that much cap space. He's not a qb that can take over games.

#78 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

Now that the numbers have come out, it's not a terrible deal. I should have expected it to be this way. It looks like it's similar to Kaepernick's deal. Not a big singing bonus, but it's kind of a pay as you go so he can get cut pretty much anywhere along the line and not have huge repercussions. 

Smart by Cincinatti not to invest that much in Dalton.

• Mike in STL likes this
@gabefergy

#79 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Dalton has one of the best OL in the league, a reliable run game, and the 2nd best WR in the NFL. He should put up MONSTER numbers and have no problem beating mediocre teams in the playoffs. 

He isn't close to Flacco's talent. 

It's better to let him walk because they will never win with him.

Whitworth is no doubt a stud but it doesnt mean Dalton has the 90s Cowboys O-Line in front of him. The reliable run game was ranked in the bottom half of the league. And he got Green almost a 100 catches. Its not like Larry Fitzgerald who saw his production cut in half when a bad QB was in for him

If I have my pick of Flacco and Dalton, I take Flacco all day. But Dalton isnt bad. And a not bad QB is hard to come by. The contract suggests that Dalton is worth slightly less than Flacco, and I feel thats the case in real life when you compare the two.

Besides, why waste the best years of Green, and soon to be Bernards careers by bringing in another rookie who will go through growing pains, or just plain suck, when Dalton is more than capable? Upgrade the defense maybe, then Dalton wont have to do as much. Like Russell Wilson's case.
@BSLMikeRandall

#80 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Absolutely I am, they'll never win with him, especially now that he's tying up that much cap space. He's not a qb that can take over games.

FWIW...Three years in, Dalton has more game winning drives than Flacco in his first three years. So he does have the ability to lead his team to tough wins.

Its certainly easy to say that they'll never win with him because only one QB a year can "Win". (And because its the Bungles of course) But I think we definitely have not seen the last of Andy Dalton in the playoffs, which is really all you can ask for. All bets are off at that point.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=