100 replies to this topic

#61 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:29 PM

I find that the more mainstream the sport, the less I care about it in the Olympics. Basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, boxing...just not as interesting when the Olympics aren't the biggest stage for the competitors like they are for the other sports. Or maybe I'm just ignorant as to how important Worlds and other non-Olympic competitions are for the other events.

I can see that. It’s supposed to be amateur, so the best in the world in team sports aren’t playing there whereas the best skiers, skaters, etc are. Except basketball is the best players in the world and USA often wins in runaway fashion so that is uninteresting as well.

I do like hockey. It feels like a winter sport. Basketball is also a winter sport, but played at the summer olympics for some dumb reason.

I like the obscure sports at both, and anything a record time can be set in. Something about swimming with the swimmers chasing that WR line in the home stretch that makes it more interesting. I don’t think there is much of that in the winter games. All the skiing and sledding stuff is on different courses, so there is no WR time to beat.

I’m limited to just what NBC is showing in prime time right now due to our current living situation. Bummed I can’t follow the mens and womens hockey tournaments
@BSLMikeRandall

#62 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:30 PM

I find that the more mainstream the sport, the less I care about it in the Olympics. Basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, boxing...just not as interesting when the Olympics aren't the biggest stage for the competitors like they are for the other sports. Or maybe I'm just ignorant as to how important Worlds and other non-Olympic competitions are for the other events.

Yeah, this is me too, though I do like olympic hockey.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:37 PM

M. Shiffrin. That's rough.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 08:09 AM

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 08:10 AM

#66 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:52 AM

M. Shiffrin. That's rough.

Yeah, that was tough to watch.  You have to think the pressure after giant slalom got to her.  I hope she gives it another shot this Olympics but she sounds defeated.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 09:42 AM

Medal Tracker

https://www.espn.com...ter/2022/medals

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 09:43 AM

ESPN: Winter Olympics 2022: Nathan Chen is golden, Chloe Kim goes back-to-back and more live updates from the action in Beijing

https://www.espn.com...-action-beijing

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:36 AM

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:41 AM

CBS Sports: Winter Olympics 2022: Day 9 schedule, what to watch, results and more from Beijing

https://www.cbssport...e-from-beijing/

#71 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 February 2022 - 12:03 PM

Best part about the Olympics for me is just flipping on NBC and whatever is on I’ll watch. With the exception of figure skating, I am into all these crazy ass competitions.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 12:20 PM

Best part about the Olympics for me is just flipping on NBC and whatever is on I’ll watch. With the exception of figure skating, I am into all these crazy ass competitions.

Figure skating would be great if it was like snowboarding or freestyle skiing and they just went and did the jumps and spins. Leave the pageantry and choreography to ice dancing. As it is, I'll still watch because the jumps and things are cool enough to sit through the announcers discussing the wardrobe.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:09 AM

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:09 AM

ESPN: Winter Olympics 2022: Jacobellis and Baumgartner win gold, U.S. men's hockey beats Canada and more live updates from Beijing

https://www.espn.com...updates-beijing

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:22 AM

I think winter is more fascinating cause it’s a lot of events I couldn’t even do, much less to the level they do it at. Summer games, I can run, jump, swim, throw things. I 1000% can’t do a snowboard or ski anything. Gymnastics is probably the only summer sport I couldn’t physically do.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:22 AM

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:23 AM

ESPN: Winter Olympics 2022: Erin Jackson makes history, Kaillie Humphries in medal hunt, USA hockey downs Germany and more updates

https://www.espn.com...ny-more-updates

#78 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:28 AM

I enjoy and will watch literally all of it.  Especially the winter games where there's so much less going on and it's easier to follow more sports.

Much prefer any sport that doesn't include judges though.  Give me alpine skiing, speed skating, short track, bobsled, hockey - any sport where the fastest/highest/strongest athlete wins.

As I said:

https://www.espn.com...alfpipe-big-air

I think you can appreciate the skill that these X-games type of events have, but it's hard to take the results seriously at all.

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:30 AM

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:36 AM

ESPN: Winter Olympics 2022: Team USA women face Finland for shot at hockey gold, Americans go 1-2 in monobob and more from Beijing

https://www.espn.com...updates-beijing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=