#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great American has never hosted before, so not much of a surprise.

For what it's worth, here is a list of current MLB stadiums that haven't hosted yet:

Tropicana (TB)
Great American (CIN)
Citizens Bank (PHI)
PETCO (SD)
Nationals (WAS)
Citi (NYM)
Target (MIN)
New Yankee (NYY)
Marlins (MIA)

Mets get the 2013 bid, as do the Twins in 2014 and Reds in 2015.

EDIT: Tropicana isn't getting it. Sorry, but that place is a dump and the fans don't deserve it.

I'm really surprised that Philadelphia hasn't gotten one yet. I would predict they get 2016. Yankees will probably have to wait longer since they hosted the final year of Old Yankee Stadium. So for 2017-2019 I could see the league going to San Diego, DC, and Miami in some order.
Hopefully MLB returns the ASG festivities to Camden Yards for the park's 30th anniversary in 2022, if not earlier.

I doubt that will be the order, since they like to rotate AL-NL. Philly had it in 1996?/SD in the early 1990s?, so it makes sense for Cincy to get it first and they'll probably be after the Marlins. As Selig has said, when the topic has come up the demand is a lot greater now than it was two decades ago. He has stated how he used to have to offer incentives to host.

Mark Lerner when he's asked about the subject has played the "age" card as in his dad is 87 and it be nice to allow him to see it. The area around the stadium is pretty boring and although they are expecting more development (which has been expected for the past 5 years), I'm sure MLB wants to see it actually completed before they award it.

I doubt Yankee Stadium is hosting anytime soon since the Mets are hosting and they just hosted 5 years ago. If this were the NBA, where they don't mind doing that, I could see it. The NBA seems to be big at keeping the All-Star games in warm cities since it's the dead of winter.

They'll probably want to NOT have it at OPACY and Nats Park in back-to-back years. OPACY would also be the first relatively new ballpark to host twice, but it was also the first. As you can see though, a lot more NL stadiums in demand than AL stadiums so that works in the Orioles favor.
@levineps

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

The Marlins won't host anytime soon. They were going to in 2000 but had it pulled after their 1998 firesale, and they were expected to get this one before this offseason.

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

The Marlins won't host anytime soon. They were going to in 2000 but had it pulled after their 1998 firesale, and they were expected to get this one before this offseason.

Don't remember that, but I'll have to take your word for it. I don't think it matters how the team is doing necessarily, since they award it 2-3 years in advance. If that were the case then KC/Pittsburgh would never get it and they've both hosted somewhat recently. I think having a new and/or relevant stadium matters much more than the off-field stuff, after all the Mets have had problems recently.
@levineps

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Don't remember that, but I'll have to take your word for it. I don't think it matters how the team is doing necessarily, since they award it 2-3 years in advance. If that were the case then KC/Pittsburgh would never get it and they've both hosted somewhat recently. I think having a new and/or relevant stadium matters much more than the off-field stuff, after all the Mets have had problems recently.

I saw it mentioned today in comments on the announcement.

It's not just being a bad team. It's acting in such an anti-competitive fashion that, even if they can't offer up real punishment, the league itself considers you a disgrace. Talk to Bud Selig away from a microphone or notepad, and I guarantee he says meaner things about Loria than Miami residents could come up with in two languages.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I saw it mentioned today in comments on the announcement.

It's not just being a bad team. It's acting in such an anti-competitive fashion that, even if they can't offer up real punishment, the league itself considers you a disgrace. Talk to Bud Selig away from a microphone or notepad, and I guarantee he says meaner things about Loria than Miami residents could come up with in two languages.

No doubt, I just don't buy that they'll never get it because Loria owns the team. I do think it might make it less likely though. There's a lot of teams waiting in line(almost all NL teams), so they'll probably wait even more as a result.

(http://www.sun-senti...0,6767418.story)

MLB awarded the 2000 All-Star Game to South Florida, but two years before the event Commissioner Bud Selig switched gears and gave it to Atlanta. Ultimately, MLB decided Dolphins Stadium was not a suitable facility.

So were the Marlins snubbed this time around for punitave reasons? The Marlins slashing payroll again probably didn't help their cause, and neither do all those vacant store fronts along the Marlins Park south garage. More likely, it came down to the Reds being in line longer.

@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

ESPN: Reds' Mike Leake gets 1-year deal

http://espn.go.com/m...cincinnati-reds
@levineps

#47 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

http://ftw.usatoday....view-no-hitter/

I just ****ing walked a guy.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Baseball Analytics: Comparing Bailey's two no-hitters
http://www.baseballa...no-hitters.html

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Fox Sports: Votto defends Phillips' comment

http://msn.foxsports...contract-072113

@levineps

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

While I think it's funny that over a month later the next topic that gets talked about with the Reds is yet again, something incendiary from Brandon Phillips, but here we go...

How did you all feel about his tantrum he through at the beat writer that pointed out his low OBP and suggested he be moved to the 8 spot instead of the 2nd spot like he was recently moved to?

Kinda reminds me of all the Hardy talk here, so I was interested to see what you all thought. A) Valid argument? B.) Is he just a knucklehead (after accusing players of racism in 2011, the Votto comments, and now this)

@JeremyMStrain

#51 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

He gets real dusty brainwashings, if you know what I mean.

@DJ_McCann

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

He gets real dusty brainwashings, if you know what I mean.

Yeah and Dusty watched the whole thing and was like, that's between you two, instead of taking him to task for being unprofessional.

Just interesting tidbits from the "other" side of the game that a lot of people don't know much about.

@JeremyMStrain

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Sports on Earth: A one-sided balance
http://www.sportsone...ticle/58907634/

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

ESPN: Mat Latos unavailable Tuesday

http://espn.go.com/m...-wild-card-game

The Reds are hopeful that with a couple of days of treatment, Latos' elbow might improve enough that he could pitch in the division series if Cincinnati advances.

Instead, Johnny Cueto will start for the Reds on Tuesday.

@levineps

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

CBS Sports: Dusty Baker out as Mgr.
http://www.cbssports...as-reds-manager

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

CBS Sports: Dusty Baker out as Mgr.
http://www.cbssports...as-reds-manager

Not that surprised assuming it's true, but I would've thought he'd get another season atleast.

@levineps

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

You're not surprised? I am.
@DJ_McCann

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

I just hope he doesn't retire. I'd hate to have him clogging the path to the Hall of Fame.
@DJ_McCann

#59 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Has there ever been such a successful manager (record wise at least) so universally unloved? 

AS a Cubs fan, I'll never forget the night Mark Prior threw 409 pitches in a blowout playoff game in '03, and then had nothing left in the "Bartman" inning a few nights later. A very underrated aspect of that whole Cubs collapse I might add.

@beginthebegin71

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Has there ever been such a successful manager (record wise at least) so universally unloved? 

AS a Cubs fan, I'll never forget the night Mark Prior threw 409 pitches in a blowout playoff game in '03, and then had nothing left in the "Bartman" inning a few nights later. A very underrated aspect of that whole Cubs collapse I might add.

Did you see the Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame... Steve Bartman?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=