266 replies to this topic

#201 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

He's great around the bag. He's got one of the elite 2nd base arms in the game. He's got average ish range.

There are better 2nd baseman, but I don't see him as an issue at all defensively.

Defense peaks early. Hes been poor this year. I dont care if you have the greatest arm in the world. You need to be able to get to the ball and catch the ball. 

#202 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Defense peaks early. Hes been poor this year. I dont care if you have the greatest arm in the world. You need to be able to get to the ball and catch the ball. 

If he becomes a liability at 2nd, he can move to 3rd eventually.

#203 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

If he becomes a liability at 2nd, he can move to 3rd eventually.

For a year, once Manny leaves. Manny shouldn't and isn't  moving off 3b. Im tired of the Manny to SS BS. He's already one of the Top 3 defensive 3b ever. If you move him to a different position you're an idiot. 

#204 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

For a year, once Manny leaves. Manny shouldn't and isn't  moving off 3b. Im tired of the Manny to SS BS. He's already one of the Top 3 defensive 3b ever. If you move him to a different position you're an idiot. 

Well... agree and disagree with you there. My preference if Machado stays with the O's is to keep him at 3rd. However, I'm not totally opposed to him moving to SS. If Hardy stays past '17, it's at a year-to-year basis at this point.

You can't say you've seen enough of Machado at SS to really know what he is there. He hasn't had the opportunity to spend an off-season preparing for SS, get all his ST reps at SS...  he's been moved there a few times out of need in the middle of seasons after all his prep time has been at 3rd.  He's been better at 3rd, but he's still been above average at SS.

So, while I agree that Machado should be looked at as a 3rd baseman, I disagree with the notion that it makes one an idiot if they disagree.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#205 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,547 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

Manny may well be a fine SS given the opportunity to play there. But we know he is insane good at 3B. Just makes no sense to me to move him. And what I really don't get is why he would want to move. So he played there most of his life? He is getting all time kudos at 3B, why in the world would he want to potentially move back now?

#206 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Time to move Schoop up in the order? Or if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Highest OPS on the team...looking really good. A hot streak or is Schoop taking the next step?

I wouldn't mind seeing him bat 5th or 6th, above Castillo and Mancini when he plays. More AB's for our best [current] hitter.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#207 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

He's gonna be a star... dunno exactly when, but he will... just watch...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#208 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Time to move Schoop up in the order? Or if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Highest OPS on the team...looking really good. A hot streak or is Schoop taking the next step?

I wouldn't mind seeing him bat 5th or 6th, above Castillo and Mancini when he plays. More AB's for our best [current] hitter.

He's a great mistake hitter and it's obvious how hard he hits the ball when he squares it up. But he doesnt have the approach or contact skills to be a great all around hitter.

#209 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

He's a great mistake hitter and it's obvious how hard he hits the ball when he squares it up. But he doesnt have the approach or contact skills to be a great hitter.

Neither does about 6/9's of our line up and they're hitting higher in the order. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#210 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

PressBox: Jonathan Schoop Is A First-Time Orioles All-Star
https://www.pressbox...rioles-all-star

#211 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

PressBox: Jonathan Schoop Is A First-Time Orioles All-Star
https://www.pressbox...rioles-all-star

Well deserved and I think only one Oriole is fair.

Mancini was close but not there.

@mikeghg

#212 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Having some real consistency. Real nice ab tonight with his 2 run single.

#213 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,547 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Zero reason not to get him signed long term.

#214 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

Zero reason not to get him signed long term.

But why do that? He's going to want to play with Manny anyway, wherever he goes.

#215 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

But why do that? He's going to want to play with Manny anyway, wherever he goes.

I'd put the odds of he and Manny both signing in the same place elsewhere as about the same as the odds of the O's making the playoffs this year.

Agree that Schoop should be extended if he's open to it.  If not, then I'd put him on the trade block if we go into full rebuild mode (i.e. if we trade Manny).

#216 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'd put the odds of he and Manny both signing in the same place elsewhere as about the same as the odds of the O's making the playoffs this year.

Agree that Schoop should be extended if he's open to it.  If not, then I'd put him on the trade block if we go into full rebuild mode (i.e. if we trade Manny).

I don't believe in the idea that everyone has to be traded if Manny is traded.

Probably wouldn't be the 2001 Mariners losing ARod, finding Ichiro.... and winning 116 games...   but you could trade Machado and contend in '18 (and set yourself up better going forward), without those odds of contention being microscopic.

#217 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

Maybe someone could trade Manny, Britton, and others and still contend in 2018, but I don't think the Orioles and their management team can.  Microscopic, as you said, seems to be a good description of those odds to me.

#218 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

DD says they tried to extend Schoop in offseason and yet again, the team failed.

http://www.masnsport...years-club.html

#219 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Schoop hit .433/.438/.800 (13-for-30) with two doubles, three home runs, eight runs scored, and 16 RBI, in seven games during the week. He recorded an RBI in each game to set a new career-high of seven-straight games with an RBI. His 16 RBI led MLB, his three home runs were tied for the AL lead, and his eight runs were second-most in the AL. He collected five multi-hit games during the week; he leads the Orioles and ranks tied for fourth in the AL this season with 34 multi-hit games. This is Schoop’s first career Player of the Week Award.

20248119_10150879387334990_6126890029058

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#220 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,547 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Well deserved for a really good guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors