• Please log in to reply
1602 replies to this topic

#1581 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:21 AM

The Ringer: Will a Juan Soto Trade Actually Happen?

#1582 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 June 2023 - 10:48 AM

Imagine someone telling you they're your friend then straight up stealing 245M from you.

#1583 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 June 2023 - 12:40 PM

Imagine someone telling you they're your friend then straight up stealing 245M from you.

Dude is on one today! Love to see it. Where’s Nickle.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1584 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 04:30 PM

Dude is on one today! Love to see it. Where’s Nickle.

You just keep him as occupied as possible in his fantasy trade thread. The less he stays out of the others the better.

#1585 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 10:16 AM

Strasburg set to retire. Only made 8 starts after signing that gigantic 7 year, $245 million contract.

#1586 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:58 AM

Strasburg set to retire. Only made 8 starts after signing that gigantic 7 year, $245 million contract.

And gets paid the entire contract.  I think that sets the standard as worst contract in MLB and possibly American sports history.

#1587 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:03 PM

And gets paid the entire contract.  I think that sets the standard as worst contract in MLB and possibly American sports history.

He won a WS MVP -- Nats fans don't care about the contract.

@bopper33

#1588 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:03 PM

Does he still get paid? I imagine Washington will try to come to some sort of settlement.

#1589 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

I feel like the O's may have unlocked the code, whether intentionally or not, by not signing guys in their late 20's early 30's to big contracts. We saw firsthand what happened with Chris Davis. I think we learned a lesson.

I think this team should be going after 3-4 year signings when possible but I am thankful we're not handing out 10 year deals for play money to guys who will never remotely live up to their contract.

It's crazy more teams aren't trying to do the same. Or refusing to sign guys to these mega contracts. They very rarely ever pay off.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1590 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

He won a WS MVP -- Nats fans don't care about the contract.

Wait until their ownership tells them they won't be able to secure any young talent until they financially recover and raise ticket prices.

#1591 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:08 PM

Does he still get paid? I imagine Washington will try to come to some sort of settlement.

He’ll get every dime on that contract. They knew the risks when they gave him that offer, and the man’s had a rib taken out and muscles removed from his neck in a surgical procedure to get past thoracic outlet syndrome. There’s a reason no insurance carrier would pickup that contract, which should be all you need to know as to why the Nationals are on the hook for the entirety of that contract.

#1592 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:28 PM

He’ll get every dime on that contract. They knew the risks when they gave him that offer, and the man’s had a rib taken out and muscles removed from his neck in a surgical procedure to get past thoracic outlet syndrome. There’s a reason no insurance carrier would pickup that contract, which should be all you need to know as to why the Nationals are on the hook for the entirety of that contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he forfeit the deal if he retires?  Or is there some clause like the O's are doing with Davis.

@bopper33

#1593 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he forfeit the deal if he retires?  Or is there some clause like the O's are doing with Davis.

Not if he retires due to injury suffered playing the game, and his thoracic outlet syndrome he suffered was due to his pitching mechanics.

If he walked away from the sport because his heart was no longer in it, then yeah, he’d be walking away from his contract.

The Nats could seek arbitration, but unless they have video evidence of a water skiing wipeout, it’s going to be a really tough sell since the man can no longer lift his children without needing to rest from numbness in his extremities. 

#1594 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 01:11 PM

Not if he retires due to injury suffered playing the game, and his thoracic outlet syndrome he suffered was due to his pitching mechanics.

If he walked away from the sport because his heart was no longer in it, then yeah, he’d be walking away from his contract.

The Nats could seek arbitration, but unless they have video evidence of a water skiing wipeout, it’s going to be a really tough sell since the man can no longer lift his children without needing to rest from numbness in his extremities. 

Didn't Prince Fielder have a similar situation when he "retired"?  Although I think the Rangers had insurance which Washington does not have.

#1595 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 August 2023 - 01:43 PM

It's crazy more teams aren't trying to do the same. Or refusing to sign guys to these mega contracts. They very rarely ever pay off.

I think every owner/exec knows they're not likely to get their full money's worth. It's just the price of doing business. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1596 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 01:53 PM

Didn't Prince Fielder have a similar situation when he "retired"?  Although I think the Rangers had insurance which Washington does not have.

Yeah. Spinal fusion surgery. Ouch. The key to all these really is the fact the Nationals assumed all the risk when no carrier was willing to take on that policy. 

#1597 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 August 2023 - 06:49 PM

I don't think this is exactly right.  There's no way for the Nationals to get anything if he keeps making some kind of effort. He has to be on the 40-man, 60-day IL, etc. 

My guess would be they go to some type of settlement (we saw this with Chris Davis) and they'll do something with the structure and/or total (whatever) so he can just go to the house.

All the worst ever contracts are Boras.  

#1598 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 08:46 PM

I don't think this is exactly right.  There's no way for the Nationals to get anything if he keeps making some kind of effort. He has to be on the 40-man, 60-day IL, etc. 

My guess would be they go to some type of settlement (we saw this with Chris Davis) and they'll do something with the structure and/or total (whatever) so he can just go to the house.

All the worst ever contracts are Boras.  

I'd guess settlements occur when a guy gets into an automobile accident coming home from church.

Strasburg's arm and body blew up pitching. Why on earth would he settle? This is why teams carry insurance on these guaranteed contracts. 

#1599 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:50 PM

I'd guess settlements occur when a guy gets into an automobile accident coming home from church.

Strasburg's arm and body blew up pitching. Why on earth would he settle? This is why teams carry insurance on these guaranteed contracts. 

One scenario is Strasburg signs some type of personal services contract for what he is still owed, which would then void his player deal, and therefore not count against the team's luxury tax.

• CantonJester likes this

#1600 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:08 AM

One scenario is Strasburg signs some type of personal services contract for what he is still owed, which would then void his player deal, and therefore not count against the team's luxury tax.

I think they outlawed those several years ago, at least as part of core contracts (applies to all of the crazy benefits guys used to ask for).

That doesn't mean they don't do something with the contract then give him some advisory role (whatever) in the Organization, but they'll be related, not some direct compensation.

Lux Tax calculation means nothing to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=