1602 replies to this topic

#1461 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

Only reason this is such big news is because it's the fact that the person who tested positive is a young, star player, on the defending World Series champion's team, playing in the nation's capital, with their first game of the season (which just so happens to be the first MLB game of the season) happening in mere hours.

Kind of a perfect storm.

You mean Rob didn't post the news as part of his liberal agenda?

#1462 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

I think it’s insane that they don’t have instant test results. THAT could be a problem

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1463 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

It'd be really devastating if he infected all the Orioles players this week and we have to forfeit games rather than just lose them.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#1464 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

It'd be really devastating if he infected all the Orioles players this week and we have to forfeit games rather than just lose them.

If all your players have negative WAR, then the team would actually improve.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#1465 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

I think it’s insane that they don’t have instant test results. THAT could be a problem

Agreed.

#1466 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

Oh JFC. A player tested positive. It was going to happen. It's happened already. He's asymptomatic and the rest of the team is available, presumably they do not have it.

And I would imagine, per the protocols, everyone on the O's has been tested since the games earlier this week.

Seriously, the drama because you all hate Trump is getting really old. Enjoy the season or wallow in misery because a handful of players are going to get the sniffles and miss two weeks. I don't care.

I still love you all.

Rant over.

Well the panic is that they don’t KNOW if anyone else has it after being around him because the test results are a few days behind. And if they don’t know if people have it or not, is it responsible to play and potentially expose even more people?

You are right, this was going to happen and I think this was a lot of the concern that the procedures to deal with it were pretty weak.

I just don’t understand how hospitals have 2 hour results and sports have 2-5 day delays? Why can’t they use the same test the hospitals are using? Money? Access? Supply?
@JeremyMStrain

#1467 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

I do agree. I thought they guys were going to get immediate results. Those tests exist. Why cant MLB use them?
  • JeremyStrain likes this

@bopper33

#1468 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

I do agree. I thought they guys were going to get immediate results. Those tests exist. Why cant MLB use them?

My friend works for Amazon and they have the immediate result test and test their staff every other day. But MLB can't do the same? Ridic. It must be all those taxes Bezos pays. Oh, wait...

#1469 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

So apparently the Nats got Soto the rapid test themselves cause they didn’t want to sit and wait. Took two of them, one saliva and one nose swan and both came back negative. So looks like it may have been a false positive, but he still has to test negative with the 2 day test twice before he can play.

The whole thing just shows that they still have a lot to figure out.
@JeremyMStrain

#1470 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

What? That's wild.

#1471 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:30 PM

Yeeeesh. Reliable fast testing is absolutely paramount. Cmon.

@bopper33

#1472 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:00 AM

The false positives and false negatives are happening everywhere. MLB isn’t going to be immune from that.

#1473 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:38 AM

Nats: Strasburg nerve issue 'hopefully' day-to-day

#1474 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

Scherzer left the game today after 1 inning.   A possible injury

@mikeghg

#1475 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:55 PM

I was looking at something on the nationals salary today and I noticed something about Scherzer's contract where I'd guess he got paid all of him money this year.

HIs contract (if the terms are correct) had a 50M signing bonus which paid it in 15M increments in 2019-2021 (+5M back in 2015). 

His 35M salaries from 2019-2021 (105M) were used in the deferred portion of his contract so that is the 15M per for 7 years (105M).

His signing bonus shouldn't have been subject to the scaled payment (not 2020 salary) and all of his 2020 salary was deferred into the future and our understanding (National report) is that deferred money is paid out 100% in the future.

I don't see where Scherzer would have had salary subject to the structural salary changes of the 2020 season.  Huh.

#1476 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:30 AM

I was looking at something on the nationals salary today and I noticed something about Scherzer's contract where I'd guess he got paid all of him money this year.

HIs contract (if the terms are correct) had a 50M signing bonus which paid it in 15M increments in 2019-2021 (+5M back in 2015). 

His 35M salaries from 2019-2021 (105M) were used in the deferred portion of his contract so that is the 15M per for 7 years (105M).

His signing bonus shouldn't have been subject to the scaled payment (not 2020 salary) and all of his 2020 salary was deferred into the future and our understanding (National report) is that deferred money is paid out 100% in the future.

I don't see where Scherzer would have had salary subject to the structural salary changes of the 2020 season.  Huh.

I suspect that his contract terms were incorrectly reported.

#1477 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:10 AM

I suspect that his contract terms were incorrectly reported.

Don't think so. dude is right.  All of Scherzer's 2019-2021 salary ($35M/year, $105M total) is deferred until 2022-2028 ($15M/year, $105M total).

https://legacy.baseb...gton-nationals/

I think it's possible that he may have to prorate 1/7th of the $50M bonus.  MLB accounts for signing bonus in luxury tax calculations as being equally applied across the guaranteed years of the contract.  I don't know if there is language in his contract or the MLBPA or the agreement about 2020 that would apply to signing bonuses.  But it would make sense if there were.

• Old Man likes this

#1478 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:43 AM

Don't think so. dude is right.  All of Scherzer's 2019-2021 salary ($35M/year, $105M total) is deferred until 2022-2028 ($15M/year, $105M total).

https://legacy.baseb...gton-nationals/

I think it's possible that he may have to prorate 1/7th of the $50M bonus.  MLB accounts for signing bonus in luxury tax calculations as being equally applied across the guaranteed years of the contract.  I don't know if there is language in his contract or the MLBPA or the agreement about 2020 that would apply to signing bonuses.  But it would make sense if there were.

Dang, got a headache from trying to reach the information on that link about his contract. :)

Take an entire team of lawyers to figure that contract out to get it approved by the player, the team and finally MLB. :)

Deferred money, but still calculated in their payroll numbers.

#1479 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Deferred money, but still calculated in their payroll numbers.

This part is for MLB luxury tax and revenue sharing calculations.  MLB calculates the total salary for each team each year.  Deferred money makes that complicated, since it is money a player is earning in a given season but not being paid until some time in the future.  Signing bonuses are similarly complicated, as they are being paid all the money up front (or at some agreed-upon date) but it is money that is earned over the course of the years covered by the contract.

Signing bonuses are easier, as they are just evenly split across the years regardless of when the payments are made.  Scherzer got a $50M signing bonus on his 7-year deal.  So the luxury tax implications of that are that $7.14M counts for each of the 7 years (50/7).  

The deferred money is more complicated.  The way they do it is the determine the net present value (NPV) of the money.  Apologies if you already know this, but it is a basic economic term that answers the question of "how much is it worth to me today if I know someone is paying me tomorrow".  A dollar tomorrow is not worth the same as a dollar today, it's worth less.  MLB and MLBPA have agreed upon a discount rate to use when calculating the value, so that part is fixed (I believe it's around 4%).  So you determine the current value of future payments by applying the discount rate any come up with 2020-dollar value of the future payments.

I don't know why this minutiae interests me so much, but it does.  Same with salary cap rules in the NFL.

#1480 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

These things interest me too.  None of this ever really has anything to do with the Orioles because they won't ever push the Lux Tax threshold, but still interesting to me just in terms of structure.

I would guess....and that's all we're doing since there's so many small rule applications that likely had to be negotiated inside of these agreements that never see the light of day....that signing bonus money wouldn't be subject to 2020 rules.  

As it would also apply to the Orioles, in the 2020 Baseline thread, we identified 10.85M (I think) that was likely paid out at the full, not the partial, rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=