1601 replies to this topic

#1481 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

I was looking at something on the nationals salary today and I noticed something about Scherzer's contract where I'd guess he got paid all of him money this year.

HIs contract (if the terms are correct) had a 50M signing bonus which paid it in 15M increments in 2019-2021 (+5M back in 2015). 

His 35M salaries from 2019-2021 (105M) were used in the deferred portion of his contract so that is the 15M per for 7 years (105M).

His signing bonus shouldn't have been subject to the scaled payment (not 2020 salary) and all of his 2020 salary was deferred into the future and our understanding (National report) is that deferred money is paid out 100% in the future.

I don't see where Scherzer would have had salary subject to the structural salary changes of the 2020 season.  Huh.

Connolly says that deferred money on behalf of 2020 is prorated, FWIW.  We may have heard that deferred money from an earlier season to be paid in 2020 is what wasn't prorated (e.g. Bobby Bonilla wasn't prorated).

If Connolly is right, that means he receives the full $15M in 2020, but he loses about $22M in deferred money.

#1482 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:44 PM

Connolly says that deferred money on behalf of 2020 is prorated, FWIW.  We may have heard that deferred money from an earlier season to be paid in 2020 is what wasn't prorated (e.g. Bobby Bonilla wasn't prorated).

If Connolly is right, that means he receives the full $15M in 2020, but he loses about $22M in deferred money.

I know Connolly said this, but there's other National sources that have come out with specifics about specific players and how their 2020 commitments are handled.

It's possible he's right and the other sources are wrong, but it actually makes more sense (if anything makes sense this year) what other sources have reported.  The clear intent of salary adjustments this year was to mitigate expenses in a year where revenues were uncertain (and down).  Money deferred outside of 2020 is already being planned for (accounted) in a different year.

None of this is a big deal.  Just discussion.

The reasons I started this thought is I was looking at the Nationals spreadsheet in COTs and noticed Scherzer was being accounted for there as a 35M player this year (with associated adjustments)....but I tihnk his is a unique case where he may be affected differently and oddly, he's fallen backwards into a situation where he's likely one of the few players in MLB not taking a hit in the 2020 season.

Just interesting.  Could be wrong. Or not.

#1483 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:48 AM

CBS Sports: Could the Nationals trade Max Scherzer this winter? Cases for and against dealing three-time Cy Young winner
https://www.cbssport...y-young-winner/

#1484 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

Nationals trade for Josh Bell.

I'm jealous.  Like i said earlier, the Night Moves plan has likely never been more available.  This was one piece that supports that..

#1485 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:10 PM

Im baffled. Josh Bells career WAR is 2.6 over 552 games. He'll be 29 this year. Hes about to become relatively expensive. Hes a 1b. And you're jealous that this Orioles team didn't give up roughly the equivalent of Kremer and Luis Ortiz to get him. It makes some sense for a team like Was. Not us. Even if we didnt have Mancini and Mountcastle it wouldn't make sense but with those 2 it makes even less sense.

Im already skeptical of Night Moves and Ive only heard 1 part.. Maybe Turn the Page is better?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1486 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

Yeah I really don't think the success or failure of the Orioles rebuild will come down to if they can find a viable option at 1B because it seems like they're already got two

she/her

#1487 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 December 2020 - 05:42 PM

Im baffled. 

Don't be baffled.  You missed the point.

If you want to have a discussion (opinion) about different plans for winning, I'm good with that.  If you'd like to continue it here (probably not the right place) or anywhere else, I'll engage.

The only point I'd make (the one you missed) is when I project availability and cost of different players, I get a lot of "why it wouldn't happen", "it takes 2 to tango", etc, but when I say someone like Bell is readily available, this trade is, in fact, evidence of that analysis.  That's all you really need to take out of it.

Since you're on Bell's WAR, maybe you could tell me why it's 'only' 2.6?  It's sort of important to much of my thought on him.  Why he'd/Boras accept the things I'd propose, etc.

#1488 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 December 2020 - 05:48 PM

Yeah I really don't think the success or failure of the Orioles rebuild will come down to if they can find a viable option at 1B because it seems like they're already got two

Chris, see, I'm not going to engage on this point but it's again someone acting like 'the rebuild' is meaningful.  

Jordan, I'm not talking about the rebuild at all.

#1489 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:45 AM

Don't be baffled. You missed the point.

If you want to have a discussion (opinion) about different plans for winning, I'm good with that. If you'd like to continue it here (probably not the right place) or anywhere else, I'll engage.

The only point I'd make (the one you missed) is when I project availability and cost of different players, I get a lot of "why it wouldn't happen", "it takes 2 to tango", etc, but when I say someone like Bell is readily available, this trade is, in fact, evidence of that analysis. That's all you really need to take out of it.

Since you're on Bell's WAR, maybe you could tell me why it's 'only' 2.6? It's sort of important to much of my thought on him. Why he'd/Boras accept the things I'd propose, etc.

Its only 2.6 because he had a career year in '19 and put up 2.7 thar year. Otherwise, he'd be in the negative for his career.

I really dont know what your agenda is with him but I see no logical reason why he should've been a target for us at any point the last 2 or 3 years.

#1490 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

Source: The Nationals have signed Kyle Schwarber to a one-year deal pending a physical.

#1491 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

Source: The Nationals have signed Kyle Schwarber to a one-year deal pending a physical.

10 M seems about right, maybe a tad high.

@mikeghg

#1492 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:01 PM

10 M seems about right, maybe a tad high.

Little high. They paid for the bat and are secretly hoping the DH comes back.
@JeremyMStrain

#1493 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Zero downside other than this being a non-DH year in the NL and it's a one year deal. But Schwarber will be motivated, and this should add some protection for Soto if he's healthy and produces.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#1494 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

I don't like it that much for the Nationals.  At least not without a change in the DH status.

So they put Schwarber in LF, move Soto to RF and Bell is at first.

Scwarber has been a poor OF, Bell is among the worst defensive 1B each year.  Then you move Soto to RF.

I'd actually prefer to see them put Bell back in RF and let Scwarber learn 1B and leave Soto alone, I'd guess that would produce better defensive results.

I'd much rather seen the Nationals go after Gallo or Haniger or go after Santander/Mancini from the Os.

I like both Scwarber and Bell for offense, I'd just value what others may do defensively more and still get some offense.

#1495 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:13 PM

Also feels like a miss from the WhiteSox.  

Schwarber was a good fit there at DH and playing some left to let Jiminez DH.  They need a LHed bat with more OBP.  They could have made a fairly simple trade with the Cubs (who got nothing) and likely signed him for less than the Nationals did (ARB3).

#1496 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:15 PM

I don't like it that much for the Nationals.  At least not without a change in the DH status.

So they put Schwarber in LF, move Soto to RF and Bell is at first.

Scwarber has been a poor OF, Bell is among the worst defensive 1B each year.  Then you move Soto to RF.

I'd actually prefer to see them put Bell back in RF and let Scwarber learn 1B and leave Soto alone, I'd guess that would produce better defensive results.

I'd much rather seen the Nationals go after Gallo or Haniger or go after Santander/Mancini from the Os.

I like both Scwarber and Bell for offense, I'd just value what others may do defensively more and still get some offense.

she/her

#1497 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:26 AM

Well...Bell started as a RFer and they forced him to 1B with a full outfield of Polonco, Cutch and Marte.  Schwarber came in as a catcher and they forced him into the OF because he wasn't going to survive behind the plate and Rizzo was at 1B.

Bell should have never left RF, Schwarber should have gone to 1B or DH.  

#1498 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:23 AM

Sources: Lester, Nationals agree to 1-year deal

#1499 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

Strasburg: Numbness in hand led to surgery

#1500 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:42 AM

CBS Sports: Nationals 2021 season preview: Projected lineup, rotation and four things to know
https://www.cbssport...things-to-know/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=