#101 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Why don't the nats just shut down Strasburg for the next 3-4 weeks?

I was talking to Craig Heist last night and he was saying that the medical experts out there, think it would be bad for him get out of his everyday routine and start up again at that point. Any doctors here want to disagree with that point? I don't need to hear from a bunch of arm-chair doctors on this, it's bad enough listening to armchair GMs sometimes
@levineps

#102 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

If the Nats do indeed shut Strasburg down, I hope it utterly and completely blows up in their face.

Unless they win the World Series, you'll hear about it, don't worry. The worst case scenario(to me) at this point is if they lose Game 7 of the WS with Stras on the bench. Then will hear from all Nats fans crying sour grapes that they would've won the World Series "if."

Now if they win it all, they'll look like geniuses and it will be "look how good this team is without Strasburg."
@levineps

#103 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Cause they are being stubborn and don't want anyone to tell them what to do.

Sidenote, there is a possibility they aren't going to shut him down at all...but they are keeping that quiet.

Never say never, but that possibility is very, very small. Every single Nats blogger/media member I've talked to says he'll be shut down and they know much better than any of us. If this happens, Rizzo has thrown off the whole country here. Don't worry i'll be the first one to give you credit for even remotely suggesting this was possible, but the odds are so small.
@levineps

#104 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Never say never, but that possibility is very, very small. Every single Nats blogger/media member I've talked to says he'll be shut down and they know much better than any of us. If this happens, Rizzo has thrown off the whole country here. Don't worry i'll be the first one to give you credit for even remotely suggesting this was possible, but the odds are so small.

I have VERY good Nats contacts. Nothing is set in stone, they are talking about it internally daily.
@JeremyMStrain

#105 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I have VERY good Nats contacts. Nothing is set in stone, they are talking about it internally daily.

I know you have "very good" contacts with all the local teams, I read what you write.
@levineps

#106 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Are they taking the Boras threats seriously?

#107 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Are they taking the Boras threats seriously?

Boras isn't as hard line about this whole thing as he has let on. He wants to protect his client, he also wants him to prove he's durable. Part of his getting in things was to defend the cautious approach, but the real game plan once competition was obvious was to watch him each start and take it day by day. If he's holding up and looks healthy at that 180 mark they are going to let him go, but if he shows signs of fatigue or slowing down they might still do it. They are being cautious but want to keep him happy too.
  • Russ likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#108 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Forbes: Stephen Strasburg Likely Won't Be Shut Down; Nationals Just Being Coy

http://www.forbes.co...just-being-coy/

Well this article is the most pro-Strasburg not getting shutdown I've seen. I still think it's very unlikey and we have six weeks to go, but interesting nonetheless.
@levineps

#109 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Forbes: Stephen Strasburg Likely Won't Be Shut Down; Nationals Just Being Coy

http://www.forbes.co...just-being-coy/

Well this article is the most pro-Strasburg not getting shutdown I've seen. I still think it's very unlikey and we have six weeks to go, but interesting nonetheless.

Like I said, nothing is officially decided either way, but to say I have a good source is an understatement.
@JeremyMStrain

#110 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Like I said, nothing is officially decided either way, but to say I have a good source is an understatement.

Interesting.
@beginthebegin71

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I was talking to Craig Heist last night and he was saying that the medical experts out there, think it would be bad for him get out of his everyday routine and start up again at that point. Any doctors here want to disagree with that point? I don't need to hear from a bunch of arm-chair doctors on this, it's bad enough listening to armchair GMs sometimes

Then put him in the pen and just have him pitch a few innings here and there...still throwing on the side, etc...

They don't need him...so, you can work with him anyway you want.

Or, why not just start him like normal but just let him go 3 innings or so the next 3 weeks?

#112 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

How is Teddy? Is he going to finally win a race this year? ;)

#113 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Nope, he's running on a bum knee, and is going to have surgery in the offseason ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#114 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Mark Lerner said that if they win the pennant tht he'll personally see through that Teddy wins.
@levineps

#115 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Washington Times: Got a Stephen Strasburg idea? Let Davey Johnson know

Johnson has spoken with general manager Mike Rizzo and has a rough idea when the shutdown will come.
“It depends on how many innings I let him pitch leading up to it. He's been averaging right around six innings. You guys should be able to do the math on that,” Johnson said. “I don't think the innings number is cut in stone. The science is not that exact. There's a little leeway there. But that's down the road.”
Strasburg is expected to be able to make at least four more starts, going until Sept. 12 at the New York Mets, or perhaps five, going until Sept. 19 vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Johnson said he thinks he'll need another pitcher to fill in for Strasburg for two or three regular-season starts. Lefty John Lannan figures to be the leading candidate for that spot.

Read more: Got a Stephen Strasburg idea? Let Davey Johnson know - Washington Times

http://ht.ly/da90g
@levineps

#116 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

CSN Washington Strasburg likely gets 4-5 more starts

http://www.csnwashin...69&feedID=10376
@levineps

#117 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8294265

#118 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Baseball Analytics: Harper Hampered by Low Stuff
http://www.baseballa...-low-stuff.html

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,371 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

SI: Davey Johnson shouts at Mike Rizzo after Nationals meltdown
http://tracking.si.c.../?sct=obnetwork

#120 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

SI: Davey Johnson shouts at Mike Rizzo after Nationals meltdown
http://tracking.si.c.../?sct=obnetwork

Kind of gave you a glimpse of what goes on *usually* behind-closed-doors between a GM and manager.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=