#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

MLB Network covered did a show on the top 10 for every position. That featured Brian Kenny (recent guest of Sports Tonight), a projection system (not sure specifically what goes into this) called The Shredder, Bill James, and one MLBN analyst that played that position or a similar one.

Rob and I have also been doing our top 10's on the show.

I'll post the lists in this thread.

I'll start with catcher:

Me: 

1. Posey

2. Molina

3. Lucroy

4. Gomes

5. Perez

6. McCann

7. Wieters

8. Castro

9. Martin

10. Ramos

Rob:

1. Posey

2. Molina

3. Perez

4. McCann

5. Wieters

6. Lucroy

7. Castro

8. Martin

9. Gomes

10. Salty

Kenny: 1. Posey 2. Molina 3. Santana (we didn't list him at C) 4. McCann 5. Perez 6. Lucroy 7. Castro 8. Ruiz 9. Martin 10. Montero

Shredder: 1. Molina 2. Posey 3. Perez 4. Santana 5. Castro 6. Lucroy 7. Ruiz 8. Montero 9. Rosario 10. Ramos

Dave Valle: 1. Molina 2. Perez 3. Posey 4. Wieters 5. Ramos 6. Martin 7. McCann 8. Ellis 9. Lucroy 10 Castro

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

These shows were frustrating to watch, they never really gave a good explanation on "the shredder", yet the Shredder top 10 was the focus of each show.

There was a glaring omission on the Right Field one that almost made me not watch any more of the shows.

@beginthebegin71

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

These shows were frustrating to watch, they never really gave a good explanation on "the shredder", yet the Shredder top 10 was the focus of each show.

There was a glaring omission on the Right Field one that almost made me not watch any more of the shows.

What omission?

And I thought the shows were good even though I agree that a more thorough explanation of the Shredder would have been nice.

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

What omission?

And I thought the shows were good even though I agree that a more thorough explanation of the Shredder would have been nice.

Jay Bruce. i was stunned he wasn't even on the list. i think Bill James had him #2 or 3..Wieters as well. John Hart had him #3, and he wasn't on the Shredders list at all.

Brandon Phillips was another one.

@beginthebegin71

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Well I think those are pretty easily defensible. Especially Phillips.

#6 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Maybe Phillips, but not Bruce..I can't remember the list off the top of my head, but I had Bruce much higher.

@beginthebegin71

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Maybe Phillips, but not Bruce..I can't remember the list off the top of my head, but I had Bruce much higher.

No Bruce for me so come at me. ;)

#8 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

No need, as there's no right or wrong, it's just an opinion anyway. I'm obviously higher on him than Mike "The Shredder" Weber.

• KWebz likes this
@beginthebegin71

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

No need, as there's no right or wrong, it's just an opinion anyway. I'm obviously higher on him than Mike "The Shredder" Weber.

Ha. My lists varied a lot from the Shredder. I just don't think the examples you listed are ones that should lead to mocking the show. I'd say the players lists and James' lists were generally the least good.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Bruce is interesting. He's 15th of the 23 rightfielders listed as qualified by Fangraphs in OBP, 13th in SLG and 12th in wOBA. He also has the second-highest strikeout rate (behind Stanton). But both FG and BR give him good-to-great defensive numbers.

He seems like he should be higher. I would guess he was first man out.

Wieters and Phillips make much more sense. Phillips is highly overrated.

@DJ_McCann

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Ha. My lists varied a lot from the Shredder. I just don't think the examples you listed are ones that should lead to mocking the show. I'd say the players lists and James' lists were generally the least good.

i loved the shows, just a few choices were frustrating..The weird thing with Bruce is that he was pretty high on their "Top 100 right now" show, but just low on the Shredders list...James had him, Kenny had him...etc.

@beginthebegin71

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

they never really gave a good explanation on "the shredder"

This is an issue I have with CC and the "Top X Right Now" shows. You know how you don't go about winning over people who complain about numbers, including lack of transparency? By introducing another opaque number into the mix.

@DJ_McCann

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

i loved the shows, just a few choices were frustrating..The weird thing with Bruce is that he was pretty high on their "Top 100 right now" show, but just low on the Shredders list...James had him, Kenny had him...etc.

I don't think Kenny had him. I don't think the top 100 show is related to the top 10 shows at all.

One of the worst choices was Kenny having Jeter like 7th, but I'm guessing you didn't have an issue with that. ;)

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I don't think Kenny had him. I don't think the top 100 show is related to the top 10 shows at all.

One of the worst choices was Kenny having Jeter like 7th, but I'm guessing you didn't have an issue with that. ;)

Well Machado was 10th on the shredder 3B list, but #29 in their top 100 right now, so you're definitely right about the shows not being related.

The Jeter thing was clearly a "lifetime achievement' type award, but yeah, that was pretty weak.

@beginthebegin71

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

This is an issue I have with CC and the "Top X Right Now" shows. You know how you don't go about winning over people who complain about numbers, including lack of transparency? By introducing another opaque number into the mix.

Agreed. I guess the fun of it is the debates, but they should explain it at least a little.

@beginthebegin71

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Agreed. I guess the fun of it is the debates, but they should explain it at least a little.
Well it considers a players recent performance using advanced stats and factors in age; just like other projection systems. They're not specific with how they do it and that's unfortunate, but we do have an idea of what it is.

#17 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

I did like how Bill James had many of the Orioles ranked pretty high!

@beginthebegin71

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

Any thoughts on the catcher rankings?

#19 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

I really love the fact that you have Gomes #4, but I'd probably flip flop Perez and LuCroy..Solid lists all around.

@beginthebegin71

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

I really love the fact that you have Gomes #4, but I'd probably flip flop Perez and LuCroy..Solid lists all around.
That's fair. Pitch framing played a fairly big role in my rankings. Gomes and Lucroy dominate there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=