550 replies to this topic

#41 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

If having one Miguel Gonzalez is good, then having two must be great.

Haven't we talked about this guy before somewhere? $400,000 is a decent chunk of money. Good frame, mid 90's fastball. Sounds like a good signing.

Now trade the other one to avoid confusion.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Haven't we talked about this guy before somewhere? $400,000 is a decent chunk of money. Good frame, mid 90's fastball. Sounds like a good signing.

A 3rd Miguel Gonzalez signed with Philadelphia last year.

• BobPhelan likes this

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

At least we have one that counts as an international signing now.

#44 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I say we go the other way and acquire as many as we can.

• BobPhelan and Matt_P like this

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Is Miguel Gonzalez the John Smith of Latin America?

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Wow...im shocked we spent that much money.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Baltimore Sun: O's sign two players to IFA deals

http://articles.balt...ign-two-players

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Keep getting those 100K+ guys and pop the big one every once in a while.

8-20 100K-400K type guys would work nicely.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#49 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Keep getting those 100K+ guys and pop the big one every once in a while.

8-20 100K-400K type guys would work nicely.

Yes, and actually stop dipping your toe in the adult pool and outbid everyone for the Darvish's and Abreu's, etc. We sure as hell would be better off with those types in tow.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yes, and actually stop dipping your toe in the adult pool and outbid everyone for the Darvish's and Abreau's, etc. We sure as hell would be better off with those types in tow.

Yep...What if we had been able to do that deal Jeff Long talked about with Oak?  Davis over to Oak for Russell and others.

Sign Abreu.

Now, you have Abreu and Russell(etc..)...You then could just let JJ walk easily and take the comp pick.  

A lot more youth and lesser salaries here all of a sudden.

Still contending this year and look better long term.

Do something like that AND spend Internationally....this organization would have such a better long term outlook.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#51 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Rob, what you are saying revolves around a GM having the foresight to not necessarily go into a rebuilding, but rather a re-tooling. There is a big difference. We should have dealt Wieters and Davis this off-season, outbid everyone for Abreu and would be far better off for it. The talent we'd have now from those two trades would be pretty damn impressive.

Some will say it's easy to go back and bitch about what we didn't do, but you, I, and a few others could see even then it was the right thing to do. Just because you deal a good (still young) veteran player doesn't mean you're giving up on anything.

Are we, or am I, right all the time. Far from it. Justin Smoak, Brandon Wood, and many other young players stand testament to that. I just wish we had someone with broader vision in charge- than we have or have had. I hope DD shows me he's capable of such vision.

#52 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

It's always irked me that the O's FO and the media has referred to the MGon signing as an example of how the O's have changed and how they're making a play in the international market. Yes, I know he's from Mexico and Ferreira watched him pitch in the Mexican League. However, I also know that he signed out of college and spent 5 years in the minors - including the season before (2011 with the Red Sox) the O's picked him up. 

That being said, with the signings of MGon2 and Barcendas, the O's have 1.75M left. I look for them to make a move with this money...most likely trading away some of the international bonus slot values in an upcoming trade. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

It's always irked me that the O's FO and the media has referred to the MGon signing as an example of how the O's have changed and how they're making a play in the international market. Yes, I know he's from Mexico and Ferreira watched him pitch in the Mexican League. However, I also know that he signed out of college and spent 5 years in the minors - including the season before (2011 with the Red Sox) the O's picked him up. 

That being said, with the signings of MGon2 and Barcendas, the O's have 1.75M left. I look for them to make a move with this money...most likely trading away some of the international bonus slot values in an upcoming trade. 

I hope not...For once, spend that damn money....but do agree that is the likely outcome for some of it.

I will say this...if they trade say, 250K of it and still wind up getting 5-10 guys with the remaining money, I won't be too upset about that.

#54 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

I hope not...For once, spend that damn money....but do agree that is the likely outcome for some of it.

I will say this...if they trade say, 250K of it and still wind up getting 5-10 guys with the remaining money, I won't be too upset about that.

The O's traded away approximately 250K in international bonus slots values last year. The Cubs trade involved us sending over our #3 and #4 international slots. We then swapped slot #2 for Alex Liddi and the Mariners #3 slot. And finally, the O's got the Astros #4 international slot value in the Bud Norris deal. 

We should be making moves like this, except in reverse. We shouldn't be giving up our #2 international slot for somebody like Alex Liddi. We should be trading those players away, for whatever amount we can get. And then spend that. Spend all of it. Keep in mind, the O's spent 1.23M last year after starting with slightly under 1.96M. After the trades mentioned above, the O's had 1.71M in spending room. And decided it wasn't worth it to spend the extra bit of money: 480K or so. Silly, in my mind. 

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Let's not act like Abreu was a sure thing or anything close to it. And let's especially not act like we had much of a clue of how good he'd be.

#56 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Let's not act like Abreu was a sure thing or anything close to it. And let's especially not act like we had much of a clue of how good he'd be.

Right, mostly because I read somewhere that Jerry Reinsdorf had said he would not be outbid for Abreu.  

@fuzydunlop

#57 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

I certainly had no idea. Like the Dodgers with Puig, however, I do believe the White Sox knew the upside they were paying for and believed they had a good chance of getting that production in short order. 

The Dodgers believed 100% in their investment in Puig, and I believe the White Sox did, as well. I don't really have a point outside of saying that these are the type of decisions that give insight as to how well an org evaluates talent and handicaps it, from an investment standpoint.

Ancillary to that, I'd prefer an org not make a move that grandiose if it isn't sure it has the ability to make that large an investment wisely. To close the circle, this was an issue I had with giving Jimenez the fourth year, particularly at that salary. If that contract works out, I think that is a huge feather in this front office's cap, because it is pretty clearly outside the industry "consensus" as to what would be considered a solid investment package for Jimenez (no different than the industry flaming the Dodgers for their huge investment in Puig). 

• Greg Pappas likes this
@NickJFaleris

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

No, we didnt know...But the gamble was worth it IMO...said it at the time.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#59 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

There are very few "sure things", and no one said Abreu was... I've always said we needed to be "in" on the top international FA's, because they cost nothing besides money to be worth the inherent risk. http://www.baltimore...e-4#entry212786

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

No, we didnt know...But the gamble was worth it IMO...said it at the time.

It's silly to say a 6/70+ million dollar gamble was worth it based on so little. It's one thing for a team to be confident to Stotle's point, but for one of us to reach that conclusion is poor, but I guess that won't stop you from bragging about being right on your mostly non educated guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=