• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Bleacher Report: MLB International FA: Preview, Predictions and Prospects to Watch

http://bleacherrepor...-period-preview

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

As Jeremy alluded to, today marks the start of the International signing period.

Here is a look at how the Yankees might operate:

It's About The Money: IFA Primer: Spend, Spend, Spend!
http://itsaboutthemo...asyleaguegm.com

From the link above...

"July 2 marks the start of the international free agent signing period. Beginning today and through June 15, 2015, amateur players from outside the U.S. and Canada are eligible to sign contracts with a major-league club. Players must be at least 16 years old or turn 16 by September 1 in order to sign a contract.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, teams have an international spending budget that is based on the reverse order of the previous season’s standings. Teams can exceed their spending pool but incur penalties if they do so.

The Yankees have been assigned $2,193,100 to spend on international bonuses this year, but according to multiple reports, are expected to far exceed that number.

Most sources indicate the Yankees are willing to spend roughly $15 million in the international free agent market, which would result in $10-15 million in tax penalties and the inability to sign any players for more than $300,000 over the next two signing periods.

Because the Yankees did not have a draft pick this year until No. 55 overall, these extra expenses are justified to bolster a Yankees farm system that is currently lacking in top-tier prospects. With a highly-regarded international pool of players available and an international draft at least two years away, the Yankees have decided to go all-in this year to get the best talent."

How much are the O's going to spend? (The O's have been assigned $2,253,100.)

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

If we spend our full allotment, I'll be surprised.

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

If we spend our full allotment, I'll be surprised.

If we sign anyone over 100k I'll be surprised.
@JeremyMStrain

#25 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

The Orioles march to their own beat in the international market under general manager Dan Duquette and international director Fred Ferreira. Their $575,000 contract in 2012 for Korean non-prospect Seong-Min Kim fell apart when Major League Baseball ruled they didn’t perform a standard status check on him, they signed Cuban outfielder Dariel Alvarez for $800,000 last year based off one look when some teams thought about moving him to the mound and they haven’t been active for the top players in Latin America since Duquette arrived. Yet again, the Orioles haven’t been tied to any of the premium prospects on the international market, so it’s not clear what they have planned.
-BA

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

So they'll find their next Cano and we get stuck with the Poop...er...Schoop.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

The way the O's operate in the International market has been -and continues to be- an embarrassment. There was hope that DD would make serious inroads to positive change. Uhhhhh, no. And we wonder why our farm system -outside of a few prospects, sucks.

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Here's (click here) the Baseball America team-by-team international signings tracker.

First 4 BA top 30 guys reported (top 30 tracker here) are 2x TOR, 1x NYY, 1x BOS

Indications from several of the projections is that the AL East, outside of the Orioles, are going to clean up on this market.

#29 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

On the plus side, if we spend nothing then maybe we'll be the only ones with money when this guy becomes available.

http://www.mlbtrader...eaves-cuba.html

Silver linings!

@JeffLongBP

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

On the plus side, if we spend nothing then maybe we'll be the only ones with money when this guy becomes available.

Silver linings!

I'm guessing this is somewhat sarcastic, but obviously there are quite a few teams that care nothing about the spending limits.

#31 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

BA is 12 for 13 (top 30) on getting the projected teams correct and the only one they didn't get, they didn't predict (Ynoa, MIN).

They included another 20-30 players outside of the top 30......no predictions for the Orioles on anyone.

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

The way the O's operate in the International market has been -and continues to be- an embarrassment. There was hope that DD would make serious inroads to positive change. Uhhhhh, no. And we wonder why our farm system -outside of a few prospects, sucks.

What's the Dominican Republic?

@bopper33

#33 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm guessing this is somewhat sarcastic, but obviously there are quite a few teams that care nothing about the spending limits.

Yeah it is. I think blowing up your budgets is a good strategy in that many of the young players are so far out you have no idea how good they'll be.

So your model goes like this...

Y1: Spend over max on high end players

Y2: sign as many $300K and below players as possible

Y3: sign as many $300K and below players as possible

Y4: spend over max on high end players

etc.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

You have lost 3 top 70ish picks in a deep draft.

You traded Hader and Delmonico.

You elected to keep vet talents that had high value despite having a top heavy but not deep farm system.

Your three best prospects are pitchers...1 coming off TJ surgery and 1 is at least 2 years away from making a major contribution.

To say this organization needs an infusion of young talent would be an understatement. This is how you get it done....and I have zero faith they will do much.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

And btw, please spare me the bs that we have done so much in International free agency and using Urritia as a prime example.

Duq talks about improving the Intl signings, looking for talent everywhere, etc...but he isn't doing that.

Yes, they have done some things with vet guys like Chen but obviously we are talking about something different here.

#36 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

And btw, please spare me the bs that we have done so much in International free agency and using Urritia as a prime example.

Duq talks about improving the Intl signings, looking for talent everywhere, etc...but he isn't doing that.

Yes, they have done some things with vet guys like Chen but obviously we are talking about something different here.

We have done so much in international free agency.   Urrutia is a prime example.

Duq is improving the international signings, and has looked for talent everywhere, etc.  And he is doing that.

They have signed vet guys too like Chen, which is basically the same thing.

• BobPhelan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

We have done so much in international free agency.   Urrutia is a prime example.

Duq is improving the international signings, and has looked for talent everywhere, etc.  And he is doing that.

Troll of the Year lol.

@bopper33

#38 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

This is sarcasm....right?   I didn't see the sarcasm emoticon.

#39 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Yeah it is. I think blowing up your budgets is a good strategy in that many of the young players are so far out you have no idea how good they'll be.

So your model goes like this...

Y1: Spend over max on high end players

Y2: sign as many $300K and below players as possible

Y3: sign as many $300K and below players as possible

Y4: spend over max on high end players

etc.

I expect things will change next year. It's one thing to break the rules but this is just ridiculous.

#40 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

If having one Miguel Gonzalez is good, then having two must be great.

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=