Photo

BSL Fantasy Baseball League Thread 2 (2014 Season)

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#161 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:54 AM

On a different note, how many games does one have to play at a position to become eligible there?

#162 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

I'll take Archie Bradley with the final pick of the minor league draft.

#163 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

On a different note, how many games does one have to play at a position to become eligible there?

10 games or 5 games started for position players.

3 starts or 5 relief appearances for pitchers.

https://help.yahoo.c...ns-sln6766.html

#164 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I wasn't asked but as someone who has played fantasy sports for almost 20 years, any sort of ambiguity, at all, in a rule is a bad rule. Things like "it should be fairly obvious" are just asking for disaster.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

I wasn't asked but as someone who has played fantasy sports for almost 20 years, any sort of ambiguity, at all, in a rule is a bad rule. Things like "it should be fairly obvious" are just asking for disaster.

Agreed.

The only way to do it would be either way we've got it, which I think is fair, or to be the only people eligible for the minor league draft are players who have played in the minors before (or were drafted the previous year but didn't play) but have not played in the majors before.  Then no older international FAs would be eligible, even ones who are going to start the season in the minors.

But I don't see the problem with having guys like Abreu and Tanaka available in the minor league draft.  Nobody complained about Puig or would have if Ryu would've been taken last year.  No major league experience is a pretty easy rule to enforce, I think.  Any time someone major signs, the guys with the first couple picks still have to decide if they wanna sign a $8-15 player or go for a higher potential stud prospect.  It's not like Abreu or Tanaka were going to go for $30+ or anything.

#166 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Except when it is incredibly obvious and people can discuss it beforehand to eliminate the ambiguity come draft time. But if you guys insist on an exact rule, I'd say no players that haven't played a minor league game should be eligible for the minor league draft. That's not perfect, but it's better than players that clearly shouldn't be part of a minor league draft being included.

#167 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

So we've raised the standard from "fairly obvious" to "incredibly obvious"

Got it.

@bopper33

#168 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Agreed.

The only way to do it would be either way we've got it, which I think is fair, or to be the only people eligible for the minor league draft are players who have played in the minors before (or were drafted the previous year but didn't play) but have not played in the majors before.  Then no older international FAs would be eligible, even ones who are going to start the season in the minors.

But I don't see the problem with having guys like Abreu and Tanaka available in the minor league draft.  Nobody complained about Puig or would have if Ryu would've been taken last year.  No major league experience is a pretty easy rule to enforce, I think.  Any time someone major signs, the guys with the first couple picks still have to decide if they wanna sign a $8-15 player or go for a higher potential stud prospect.  It's not like Abreu or Tanaka were going to go for $30+ or anything.

Puig actually was going to start the year in the minors. That's not a good comparison. The purpose of a minor league draft is to draft minor league players, not guys who haven't and won't spend a day in the minors and can be rather old. You're right that these players aren't incredibly valuable and that's what makes this somewhat palatable. If this were an Ichiro situation, it would be completely ridiculous.

#169 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

So we've raised the standard from "fairly obvious" to "incredibly obvious"

Got it.

I'm glad you got it. You guys know that going over Tanaka with my rough criteria would have an obvious decision, but sure, lets waste a ton of time talking about it without one person disputing that.

#170 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

BTW, I obviously see where Weber is coming from -- this is why when you over complicate fantasy leagues it takes a turn for the worse -- you need concrete rules and the simpler the better -- having minors players, who are eligible for X contracts, but can only be resigned on the winter solstice at a rate of 1/2 x 53% of the largest deal given to another minor leaguer is just asking for trouble and for people to find loopholes around the rules.

@bopper33

#171 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Puig actually was going to start the year in the minors. That's not a good comparison. The purpose of a minor league draft is to draft minor league players, not guys who haven't and won't spend a day in the minors and can be rather old. You're right that these players aren't incredibly valuable and that's what makes this somewhat palatable. If this were an Ichiro situation, it would be completely ridiculous.

He signed a $40M+ contract, so he's a perfect example of someone who might be difficult to figure out if he's going to start in the minors or not.  Cespedes didn't start in the minors a couple years earlier in a very similar situation. 

When's the cutoff?  Should Alex Guerrero be eligible?

You gotta pick one way or the other.  Either older/veteran international FAs are eligible since they haven't played in the majors yet, or they aren't.  Can't do guys that you think are going to start in the major or minors, because what if the team changed plans after the draft?  You could do it by age if you like, that'd be fair, just like MLB does with international FA signings.

#172 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I dont' agree at all with Pedro that the system is complicated.  It's not.  We just gotta make sure the rules are clear (which they are) and that everyone knows what they are (which not everyone does/did).

#173 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

He signed a $40M+ contract, so he's a perfect example of someone who might be difficult to figure out if he's going to start in the minors or not.  Cespedes didn't start in the minors a couple years earlier in a very similar situation. 

When's the cutoff?  Should Alex Guerrero be eligible?

You gotta pick one way or the other.  Either older/veteran international FAs are eligible since they haven't played in the majors yet, or they aren't.  Can't do guys that you think are going to start in the major or minors, because what if the team changed plans after the draft?  You could do it by age if you like, that'd be fair, just like MLB does with international FA signings.

Then just don't have any of these players included as I already said. I just don't see any reason to have players like Tanaka eligible for a minor league draft. Why should they be in that draft rather than the auction?

#174 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I dont' agree at all with Pedro that the system is complicated.  It's not.  We just gotta make sure the rules are clear (which they are) and that everyone knows what they are (which not everyone does/did).

Well we need a better rule in this case. Btw, the commissioner didn't even think Tanaka and Abreu could be drafted.

#175 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

I just never considered them. That's different than saying I didn't think they could be drafted. Though, I lean with Weber that if we know a guy is coming over and starting in the bigs from day 1 that he shouldn't be eligible for the minor league portion of the draft. That's probably why I never thought to consider them.

I honestly can't remember what we ruled on that last year, or if we did make a ruling.  We'll just have to take a vote going forward. What we could do is push the minor league draft back to after the 25 man rosters are set for the season. Any INT FA  not breaking camp on the 25 man roster is therefore eligible. If there is one on the 25 man roster like Tanaka, Darvish, Abreu,etc they are ineligible.

#176 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Just a quick reminder, anyone who has made their ML debut is not eligible (Gausman, Archie Bradley, Walker, etc).

I'll take Archie Bradley with the final pick of the minor league draft.

Hate to throw another wrench in the discussion. I wan't sure if Bradley debuted or not last year, so when I saw bnick's post I didn't bother thinking of selecting him. I might have, but I'm happy with Syndergaard. They are probably about the same June 1 callup, projected to be aces, etc... I should have looked on my own. But still deceiving. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#177 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hate to throw another wrench in the discussion. I wan't sure if Bradley debuted or not last year, so when I saw bnick's post I didn't bother thinking of selecting him. I might have, but I'm happy with Syndergaard. They are probably about the same June 1 callup, projected to be aces, etc... I should have looked on my own. But still deceiving. 

Yea, I fucked up again. I looked at Bradley and saw what apparently are his ST stats this year and thought they were 2013 reg season stats.

#178 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

If you want I'll trade guys with you, I'd prefer Bradley, but I'm cool with either.

#179 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think we should have a Minor league player draft, Cuban player draft, Japanese player draft. Dominican player draft, Korean player draft, and "other country" player draft. That will take the guess work out it.  :grin:

I think keeping it the way it is, has the player played a major league inning or not, is the way to go. Call the two rounds the MiL/IFA draft to take the ambiguity out of it. You can't say your going to take IFA player X because he's going to be in the minors, but not IFA player Y because he won't start in the minors. Puig wasn't going to be a lock to start in the minors until near the end of camp. I took Gyorko as well knowing that he was going to be a major leaguer on Opening day last year. He wasn't a "minor leaguer" by definition when the draft was held.

Keep it simple. If the team with the worst record the previous year has first chance to draft the top IFA, or MiL guy that he thinks will make the most impact, they should be able to. 

• Icterus galbula likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#180 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

If you want I'll trade guys with you, I'd prefer Bradley, but I'm cool with either.

Nah, it's all good. Not a big deal, unless Syndergaard needs tommy john after i promote him.

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=