Photo

BSL Fantasy Baseball League Thread 2 (2014 Season)

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#141 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

I'll take EdRod

#142 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Mark Appel

@beginthebegin71

#143 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

There was no way for me to put someone on the no draft list. If the computer drafts one I will have to just drop them from their roster after we are done.

You want to avoid nominating:

Gyorko
Bogarts
Tanaka
Oscar Tavarez
Nick Castellanos
Jose Abreu

You should do the first round or two by only nominating those guys (for each team that owns them) for $1 and no one else can bid. It'd be easier.
@JeremyMStrain

#144 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

You should do the first round or two by only nominating those guys (for each team that owns them) for $1 and no one else can bid. It'd be easier.

They aren't going to be on the regular rosters, just waiting in the wings at 0$.

#145 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

I was thinking that. Its still using money and a roster spot but it avoids the hassle of having the comp bid

#146 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I don't know why someone would think they wouldn't be eligible. It's a draft of players who haven't played in the bigs yet. Puig was taken last year. They are eligible for the ROY. Go to websites where keeper league prospects are ranked, they are there.(http://www.faketeams...rospects-part-1)

Obviously I'm biased but this seems like a case of people seeing a good pick and wishing they had thought of it.

I think it goes against the spirit of the rule to be able to take a player that isn't expected to see one day in the minors. I also didn't see that Abreu was picked. And it's a terrible rule if guys like that can be picked.

#147 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I agree (in my obviously biased fashion).  If Ricker says he didn't know they were available, that might sway my opinion, as he was the only new person.  But no returning players have a gripe here, as these were the rules last season.

Also, Abreu went third, so anyone after that should've known Tanaka was available.

Of course I have a gripe when a player that will never spend a day in the minors is picked in the minor league draft. At least Puig was a minor league player.

#148 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

I think it goes against the spirit of the rule to be able to take a player that isn't expected to see one day in the minors. I also didn't see that Abreu was picked. And it's a terrible rule if gutta like that can be picked.

I don't disagree, but that's on me for not making things clear. I honestly cant remember how we laid out the rules on that last year. We knew Puig wasn't going to start in the majors.

Ricker assumed they were available too. I got to let it go. Chalk it up to the commish neglect. Sorry.
  • Icterus galbula likes this

#149 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Fun draft, fellas. Auction drafts absolutely are much more fun than regular ones, so much more strategy.

I dropped Gyorko already..

Thanks to BNick for putting it together and moving the draft back an hour.

• Icterus galbula likes this
@beginthebegin71

#150 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Am I supposed to drop Tanaka?

#151 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Weber- what's your proposal? Where are you drawing the line? My understanding was ML PT is the line. That's simple and clear. What are you thinking is the proper "spirit?"

#152 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Am I supposed to drop Tanaka?

Yeah, just drop him and pick up a FA.

#153 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Weber- what's your proposal? Where are you drawing the line? My understanding was ML PT is the line. That's simple and clear. What are you thinking is the proper "spirit?"

For the future, my proposal would be for the minor league draft to be for minor league players. I know, crazy right. For now, I don't propose anything be done for the two cases that benefited from a loophole.

#154 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, just drop him and pick up a FA.

Done.

#155 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

For the future, my proposal would be for the minor league draft to be for minor league players. I know, crazy right. For now, I don't propose anything be done for the two cases that benefited from a loophole.

While your answer is cute and all, it didn't answer my question. What's the criteria you want to work with for eligible vs ineligible players? Suk Min Yoo is going to start the year at AAA. Is he ineligible for the draft automatically because he is an IFA? Or, at what exact point did he become eligible in the MiL draft?

#156 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

While your answer is cute and all, it didn't answer my question. What's the criteria you want to work with for eligible vs ineligible players? Suk Min Yoo is going to start the year at AAA. Is he ineligible for the draft automatically because he is an IFA? Or, at what exact point did he become eligible in the MiL draft?

It's not cute, it's pretty obvious. Everyone knows that Tanaka is not a minor leaguer. International players that are signed and expected to start the year in the majors or expected to at be up shortly should be drafted in the auction. It's not an exact rule as judgment is needed, but again, it's pretty obvious IMO which players should be in the minor league draft, which shouldn't be, and which we wouldn't even have to bother discussing.

#157 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

It's not cute, it's pretty obvious. Everyone knows that Tanaka is not a minor leaguer. International players that are signed and expected to start the year in the majors or expected to at be up shortly should be drafted in the auction. It's not an exact rule as judgment is needed, but again, it's pretty obvious IMO which players should be in the minor league draft, which shouldn't be, and which we wouldn't even have to bother discussing.

I'm not even going to bother. With the range of IFA and MiL players "It's pretty obvious" is no sort of criteria to work with or accommodate.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#158 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

I'm not even going to bother. With the range of IFA and MiL players "It's pretty obvious" is no sort of criteria to work with or accommodate.
I really don't get your problem here. And of course I wrote more than that, but sure go ahead and ignore it. Tanaka and Abreu are pretty obvious right? There's very few guys each year that would have to be discussed each year and we could all have that discussion.

#159 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I really don't get your problem here. And of course I wrote more than that, but sure go ahead and ignore it. Tanaka and Abreu are pretty obvious right? There's very few guys each year that would have to be discussed each year and we could all have that discussion.

My problem was that you responded to my direct and innocuous question with snark (I know, crazy, right?) without actually answering it, then suggested I took advantage of some underhanded loop-hole.

Now it seems you have answered my question by suggesting there could be a panel to discuss each candidacy. It still doesn't answer my question of criteria, but its more productive than how you started off.

#160 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

My problem was that you responded to my direct and innocuous question with snark (I know, crazy, right?) without actually answering it, then suggested I took advantage of some underhanded loop-hole.

Now if seems you have answered my question by suggesting there could be a panel to discuss each candidacy. It still doesn't answer my question of criteria, but its more productive than how you started off.

That wasn't intended to be snark. I did lay out rough criteria and said it wasn't going to be exact. And then you replied that you weren't even going to bother. This year would have been incredibly easy to make the minor league draft only for the types players that are meant to be in one. Do you disagree?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=