#461 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Somewhat interesting season for him. Actually got his walk rate to a workable level with a still pretty decent K rate and his HR rate doubled over that of the past 4 years. 

#462 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Somewhat interesting season for him. Actually got his walk rate to a workable level with a still pretty decent K rate and his HR rate doubled over that of the past 4 years. 

He got hit hard this year...that doesn't usually happen to him.

#463 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

He got hit hard this year...that doesn't usually happen to him.

Yeah he did. The GB rate declined as well. HR/FB rate also nearly doubling. A 21% HR/FB rate is really incredible. 

#464 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Good grief please don't generate any kind of rationale that DD could use to bring him back. I do not want him anywhere near a mound as an O any more.

#465 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Good grief please don't generate any kind of rationale that DD could use to bring him back. I do not want him anywhere near a mound as an O any more.

I don't think you have anything to worry about Steve. Still, it's amazing how remarkably bad our SP was this year, even it it wasn't very good to begin with.  

#466 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Baseball has a funny way of averaging itself out. Our SP way over performed in 2104. This year was probably more toward reality (which means they sucked) but they sucked even more than expected. So it evened out. The bottom line is its a shitty way to build a rotation.

#467 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

Ive never been happier to be at the end of an Orioles contract. I think we can safely say Jimenez wasnt worth his contract the last two years. Youll get em next time CA and Stoner.

#468 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

8/25   6.0 IP,   90p    5 H, 1 ER     0 BB, 4K     0.833 WHIP

8/30   6.2 IP, 101p    5 H, 3 ER     2 BB, 3K     1.049 WHIP

9/05   9.0 IP, 114p    2 H, 3 ER     1 BB, 6K     0.333 WHIP

9/11   7.0 IP, 106p    4 H, 2 ER     3 BB, 4K     1.000 WHIP

9/16   7.0 IP,   92p    7 H, 4 ER     0 BB, 8K     1.000 WHIP

9/21   5.1 IP, 105p    4 H, 0 ER     4 BB, 8K     1.600 WHIP

9/29   6.2 IP, 116p    1 H, 0 ER     3 BB, 5K     0.600 WHIP

Last 7 GS:   20.4 Outs/GS    ERA 2.45     WHIP 0.860 

Guess what?   I'm leaving my chips on the Ubaldo passline...

Really hope you remembered to pick up your chips sometime this offseason.

#469 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Really hope you remembered to pick up your chips sometime this offseason.

“Seven out”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#470 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

Ive never been happier to be at the end of an Orioles contract. I think we can safely say Jimenez wasnt worth his contract the last two years. Youll get em next time CA and Stoner.

Jimenez is a great example of how the cost of FA pitching has skyrocketed.

He signed a 4 year $50M deal with the O's before '14.

By fWAR, he provided a combined 4.9 in fWAR during that period, equating to $38.3M in contractual value.

Had his '17 been the average of his '15 and '16 seasons; he would have ended '17 having provided $54.7M in contractual value.

As is, as difficult as he was to watch... frankly as poor as he often was.... he provided approximately 77% of the value of the deal he signed for.

The only real lessons anyone should take from the Jimenez contract are:

1) You have to develop pitching internally.
2) The next Jimenez like contract for mid-tier vets is going to be that much more expensive.

• DJ MC likes this

#471 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

But by fWAR a lot of elite players are vastly underpaid. So why should lesser and far worse players be paid their fWAR value when the ones that earn it dont come close?

By that rationale Manny is worth about $42M a year. Even for someone that talented, no thanks to that number. Especially after this year.

If that's what teams and agents are going by, then it's another reason the Orioles need to grow their arms better and invest more internationally. Because paying 50+ M for 1.2 wins a year over 4 years is insane. Save the 50 million and let the replacement pitch, try to make up that game with some timely dingers and catch a couple breaks.

@BSLMikeRandall

#472 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

But by fWAR a lot of elite players are vastly underpaid. So why should lesser and far worse players be paid their fWAR value when the ones that earn it dont come close?

By that rationale Manny is worth about $42M a year. Even for someone that talented, no thanks to that number. Especially after this year.

If that's what teams and agents are going by, then it's another reason the Orioles need to grow their arms better and invest more internationally. Because paying 50+ M for 1.2 wins a year over 4 years is insane. Save the 50 million and let the replacement pitch, try to make up that game with some timely dingers and catch a couple breaks.

The whole key of the game is getting young players (who are ready to produce) under long-term control... where you are getting production from them at little cost, allowing you to fill out the rosters around them.

They make less then they should in those early years, and then they cash out when they hit the FA market.

Totally agree with the last paragraph.  It's exactly why the O's have to grow their arms, and do more Internationally and just insane (and criminal) that they don't.   And that $50M contract Jimenez got, is going to cost nearly $100M this Winter for similar 'value.'  (Meaning if the O's sign a similar mid-tier vet...)

#473 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

I don't think the $/WAR thing works linearly, if at all.

Meaning, teams don't pay $8M/year for a 1.0 WAR FA, $16M for a 2.0 WAR FA, $24M for a 3.0 WAR FA, etc. 

There is a pyramid of talent - lots of borderline players, fewer starting caliber, fewer quality starters, fewer All-stars, fewest MVP-caliber players - teams pay out more for the marginal wins at the top of the pyramid than they do for each win at lower points. 

There is also a time-value discount built in when deals go for multiple years.  Even if teams did seem to reach consensus that a 2.5 WAR guy is worth $15M a year, a 4-year deal wouldn't be for $60M for that player.  You discount the future years by some percentage.

• bnickle likes this

#474 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Stars and scrubs...Thats how you build teams.

#475 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

I think the problem with stats in a case like this is that they are very misleading. Looking at the total numbers isn't productive to me.

And I think Ubaldo is a great example. He has the ability to pitch very very well. And on occasion he does just that. When he is good he is really good. The problem is that when he's not he's incredibly terrible.  So you look at his overall numbers and it says he "earned" some value. But he really didn't. What he did was on occasion earn WAY above his actual salary. But most of the time he earned way less than his actual salary.

Simple put look at it this way. Which pitcher helps his team more.

Pitcher A who consistently goes out and pitches 6 innings with an ERA of 4.8.

or

Pitcher B who goes out once every five starts and pitches 8 innings to an ERA of 2.00 and the other four starts he pitches 4 innings with an ERA of 6.00.

Their overall numbers are very similar but Pitcher A gives you a much better shot to win day in and day out.

#476 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Since that's the same ERA and B pitches over a full extra inning per start, obviously B is more valuable.

There is no need to turn Ubaldo into a case study, IMO.  It's interesting to discuss whether consistent production is more beneficial than the same raw production with more volatility.  Ubaldo doesn't do anything to address that point, though, because it's not like there is a serious counter-point to him.  He had a 7.20 ERA as a SP this year, averaged 5.0 IP/GS.  100 runs in 125 innings.  Doesn't matter how good he was when he was good, the overall numbers are such a dumpster fire that there isn't any insight to be gained to the wider theory.  Doesn't matter whether 22 starts 95 ER in 100 IP plus 3 starts with a 5 ER in 25 IP is better or worse than 25 starts with exactly 4 ER in 5 IP.  Neither is remotely close to acceptable.

#477 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

I primarily argued that UJ's 2015 season was valuable, more valuable than people were giving credit for, better than his ERA+ by WAR and that his WAR  (both fWAR and rWAR) was good that season. It was a few weeks int the 2016 season, UJ had started poorly, and I stated that I was basically indifferent about the contract at that time when pressed by another poster. I made no projections about UJ and am pretty aware about the instability of mid tier SP. Mid tier FA SP is not a viable team building strategy.

Unlike you, I consider Stoner to be a pretty rational, thoughtful and analytic poster. Like some others, I gather he doesn't care much for my style at times (don't really care). We disagree at times, but I am pretty fine being aligned with him for the most part. 

#478 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

I primarily argued that UJ's 2015 season was valuable, more valuable than people were giving credit for, better than his ERA+ by WAR and that his WAR  (both fWAR and rWAR was good that season). It was a few weeks int the 2016 season, UJ had started poorly, and I stated that I was basically indifferent about the contract at that time when pressed by another poster. I made no projections about UJ and am pretty aware about the instability of mid tier SP. Mid tier FA SP is not a viable team building strategy.

Unlike you, I consider Stoner to be a pretty rational, thoughtful and analytic poster. Like some others, I gather he doesn't care much for my style at times (don't really care). We disagree at times, but I am pretty fine being aligned with him for the most part. 

Nickle can rile me up, but I appreciate his insights when he's not ranting or trolling.

I have zero problem with your style. I think you add a lot to the board.  If anything, I'd only want to see more of your thoughts.

#479 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

I know it's a little late guys but I just want to say, "WERE FREE of UBALDO!" 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#480 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'm still legit shocked that he was still on the team after the WC game in Toronto. 

Glad to be free of that...that...crapfest of a contract. LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=