770 replies to this topic

#41 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Dude just made Carson Palmer look like a solid QB again. Let that sink in.

He looked alright in some individual games, but his week to week performance was not consistent. Arians doesn't commit to running the ball and doesn't believe in short passing at all. It puts tremendous pressure on his OLs, which is partly why they've always sucked, and his QB, which is why they're always sacked a lot. Without the talent on defense and at receiver, Arizona would've been horrible.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Ari went from 32nd to 12th in offense.

Ben had his best years with Arians.

Ind was 10th last year under Arians but dropped to 17th this year.

He is easily a Top 5 OC/ offensive mind in the NFL.
  • PD24 likes this

#43 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

I would love Alex Mack browns fa.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#44 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Bruce Arians is an amazing offensive coach and pretty damn good coach in general. He was pretty much coach of the year 2 years in a row with 2 different teams that sucked the year before. 

@PeterDiLutis

#45 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

Ari went from 32nd to 12th in offense.

Ben had his best years with Arians.

Ind was 10th last year under Arians but dropped to 17th this year.

He is easily a Top 5 OC/ offensive mind in the NFL.

They also went from John Skelton/Kevin Kolb/Ryan Lindley/Brian Hoyer to Carson Palmer.  Palmer is no prize, but he doesn't suck as horribly as that quartet of crap.

I disagree, I think the Steelers offense has looked better as they've adapted to Haley's scheme.  You saw the same issues I brought up about Arians' offense every week while he was the Steelers' OC.  Ben just scrambled around, freelanced, and wound up getting killed every season.  That's not a viable approach to sustainable success.

Indy's interior offensive line was even worse than ours was, and that's an impressively bad feat.  In addition, their new OC didn't understand that no matter how much he wanted to be, they were not a power running team.  And Reggie Wayne went down.

I completely disagree.  There's a reason the Steelers essentially fired him.

#46 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

In regards to OL performance, I can understand why one might be critical of Arians. He is cut from the same mold as Cam Cameron in that he likes to push the ball vertically down the field requiring a lot of time for routes to develop. QBs that have been in his system tend to get sacked a lot because of this, so it might not like great for  OL in terms of pressures/sacks given up.

Winston was a really good RT in Houston in Kubiak's offense, so Baltimore seems like a perfect landing spot for him. While it is possible his skill has eroded a bit over the past couple of seasons I think he would be a good inexpensive addition.

@gabefergy

#47 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

In regards to OL performance, I can understand why one might be critical of Arians. He is cut from the same mold as Cam Cameron in that he likes to push the ball vertically down the field requiring a lot of time for routes to develop. QBs that have been in his system tend to get sacked a lot because of this, so it might not like great for  OL in terms of pressures/sacks given up.

Winston was a really good RT in Houston in Kubiak's offense, so Baltimore seems like a perfect landing spot for him. While it is possible his skill has eroded a bit over the past couple of seasons I think he would be a good inexpensive addition.

Winston may be a fit in the Ravens offense as a veteran Kubiak guy.  He can still move laterally but I don't think his body will hold up.  I also don't think he can be useful in pass protection either.  If the Ravens manage to sign Winston and commit a low value to him, he may serve as a grooming transition for a drafted right tackle or Ricky Wagner.

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Baltimore Beatdown: FA Preview
http://www.baltimore...-agency-preview

Safety
http://www.baltimore...fety/in/5174487

OT
http://www.baltimore...ckle/in/5174487

TE
http://www.baltimore...ends/in/5174487

#49 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

From the above OT piece:

"Wagner’s only extended playing time, however, did not go so well. When Oher was knocked out of the season opener versus the Broncos, Wagner was called in to play in his first ever NFL game and got burned by veteran Shaun Phillips for 3 sacks."

This is standard box-score scouting.  I'm writing a piece on Wagner's performance against Denver and it's fairly positive.  As fans, please don't disregard Wagner because of the above stat-line.  And keep in mind the situation he was in: a rookie Guard who filled in at Tackle in the second Quarter.  He primarily blocked Shaun Phillips and Derek Wolfe who had the luxury of rushing the passer from wide-angles with little regard for the run-game.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this
Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

At what point did Castillo come on board last year???

I assume it was before the draft. You have to remember that we've drafted for a certain system and blocking philosophy. Granted, Im sure there are some players that can do a lot of different things but you have to imagine we're now looking at prospects that fit the Kubiak schemes and philosophy.

#51 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I assume it was before the draft. You have to remember that we've drafted for a certain system and blocking philosophy. Granted, Im sure there are some players that can do a lot of different things but you have to imagine we're now looking at prospects that fit the Kubiak schemes and philosophy.

I think it was the start of the playoffs.

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

The news articles around his hire came out on Jan. 21. 2013. So just before the AFC title game I guess. Definitely need to draft guys that fit the ZBS scheme. Kubiak has a great hold on that where as Castillo didn't fully commit to it, so it was kind of doomed from the start. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

CSN Baltimore: LB Smith important piece of Ravens puzzle
http://www.csnbaltim...ffseason-puzzle

#54 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

CSN Baltimore: LB Smith important piece of Ravens puzzlehttp://www.csnbaltim...ffseason-puzzle

I think the Ravens should take Mobley if he's there at 16/17...time to replace Ray via the draft.
Roll Tide

#55 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

I think the Ravens should take Mobley if he's there at 16/17...time to replace Ray via the draft.

Mosely is next up on my list of 1st rounders. Not a bad idea.

#56 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Torrey approached the Ravens about an extension but was told that the timing isn't right.

Broncos are expected to go after Daryl Smith.

@Miller192

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I have to think Smith is likely gone. There will be interest from other teams and he isn't ahead of Pitta or Monroe as a priority for us.

Besides, he's heading into his 32 yr old year. Like the guy and all, but he'll get more than we can afford to give him, or probably should give him.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Agree that Daryl Smith is likely gone.

I'm surprised the Ravens didn't want to talk extension with Torrey.  Any indication on what Torrey was seeking?  I understand the Ravens not wanting to talk if he's asking for Mike Wallace money of $12-13M a year or more, but if he's being more reasonable an asking for $10-11M AAV, and likely willing to settle in the $9-10M range, I think the Ravens should strongly consider it.

I don't see any scenario where I wouldn't want Torrey back after this season for a contract based on his market value right now.  I do see a scenario where Torrey explodes this year and prices himself out of what the Ravens would like to pay.

Or is the timing thing meaning just not in the early stages of free agency?  I could see the Ravens instead wanting to see how their plan unfolds.  If they get everything they want done, and don't have a ton of 2014 cap space left, they ink a deal with Torrey that keeps his 2014 number low.  If things go another way and they have lots of cap space left, then sign a deal with Torrey that pays him a big number in 2014 but lower numbers throughout the remainder of the deal.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I do see a scenario where Torrey explodes this year and prices himself out of what the Ravens would lik to pay.

This has been Ozzie's main blind spot, for whatever reason. I mean, I guess I get it... but it's hurt us a couple times, most notably, Flacco.

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

For whatever reason, Ozzie likes the players to play out their rookie contracts in full.

Edit: I thought Torrey was signed through 2015. It is surprising that they don't want to talk extension right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=