Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

BSL: Free Agent Free Safeties
http://baltimorespor...-free-safeties/

Ozzie mentioned wanting a "play maker" to play free safety on this team next year during today's "State of the Ravens" address. 

Who are the household names that could be on the market this off season?

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus and 1970 like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

http://baltimorespor...-free-safeties/

Ozzie mentioned wanting a "play maker" to play free safety on this team next year during today's "State of the Ravens" address. 

Who are the household names that could be on the market this off season?

Nice piece Mike! I'd be Clemmons or Byrd ...no interest in Clark. The Ravens need to be concerned about another showdown with Manning in Denver. Why put yourself in a position to play that game down a player?
Roll Tide

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Nice piece Mike! I'd be Clemmons or Byrd ...no interest in Clark. The Ravens need to be concerned about another showdown with Manning in Denver. Why put yourself in a position to play that game down a player?

Thank you. I agree. No interest in Clark, just a name.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Zero chance the Ravens sign a high-priced safety in free agency, IMO.

The most I could see them signing is a veteran for a relatively small, 2/$6M type deal or something like that.  Like Pollard's deal or something.  They certainly won't be anywhere near signing the top FS available.

Maybe they could sign Clemmons if he doesn't have a big market (I don't know much about him).  Or Jenkins if they like him as a reclamation project.  No chance at Byrd.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Clinton- Dix could be a target in the draft.

#6 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Clinton- Dix could be a target in the draft.

The press conference gave me the impression that they'd like to have a veteran. No one specifically said that though.
Roll Tide

#7 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Harbaugh must hate letting rookies get playing time. Which is funny because it's what he relied on at first with Flacco in his first year. Elam wasn't even a starter until Huff showed lack of effort. They had to bring back Vonta Leach instead of letting Juszczyk play a meaningless position in Caldwell's offense. 

EDIT: Even in Flacco's case, if Boller doesn't get hurt and Troy Smith doesn't get tonsillitis, Flacco doesn't even start year one.

In some cases I like it, in others it's just annoying. Like Juszczyk. Cadwell only put leach in to throw FB screen and flat plays or for 3rd/4th and shorts. Juszczyk is the better catcher, and runner. So why pay a guy that much when you have a better option on the bench at what you wanna do?
  • Mike in STL likes this

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

In some cases I like it, in others it's just annoying. Like Juszczyk. Cadwell only put leach in to throw FB screen and flat plays or for 3rd/4th and shorts. Juszczyk is the better catcher, and runner. So why pay a guy that much when you have a better option on the bench at what you wanna do?

Sure. Plus, some teams don't even carry one FB. Here we are with two. Ill never understand his resigning and I won't understand if they dont cut him this year.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Baltimore Ravens.com: Free Agency and the Comp Pick Game
http://m.baltimorera...23&media-type=N

#10 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

If we added 3 guys that were the equivalent of Dumervil, Canty and Smith again in FA this year I'd be happy.

The only problem is that we've got to deal with Monroe, Smith and Pitta.  I do worry that those three guys become the additions of the offseason.  Especially the way the Ravens are talking about being "active" I wonder how much of that is their own guys.

I'd love to see one or two of these guys get locked up before the free for all begins.  But I'm guessing we need to settle the OC spot first.

#11 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

That has more to do with the comp pick game than retaining our own

Players the Ravens likely will resign Monroe, Pitta, and Smith (if you can't draft his replacement)

Players who won't be back that should rate good contracts with other teams

1) Arthur Jones
2) James Ihedibgo
3) Michael Oher. (Somebody will give him another shot at LT IMO)
4) Jacoby Jones

On the fence guys tha could merits picks
1) Corey Graham
2) Ed Dickson

So we could sign a guy or row and still end up with the max comp picks.
Roll Tide

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

BSL: Weak field of FA WR's
http://baltimorespor...wide-receivers/

Should the Ravens go this route to fill the holes at WR, pickings are slim.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well, I think we can forget any UFAs.

#14 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Still think the Ravens might have some kind of trade in mind when it comes to WR...but we'll see how the Ravens keep talking about what they want to do at WR as the offseason progresses.

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Would you release Suggs to sign Decker? Figure his cap number would be less in 2014 then the savings from Suggs. Rather move forward with Decker as a #1 than Torrey. Torrey is a great guy, but not a #1
@BSLMikeRandall

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Would you release Suggs to sign Decker? Figure his cap number would be less in 2014 then the savings from Suggs. Rather move forward with Decker as a #1 than Torrey. Torrey is a great guy, but not a #1

I don't think those two decisions need to be related.  I would release Suggs without question (releasing him includes extending him, as that is no different than releasing him and then re-signing him), and there is no doubt that the Ravens will not allow Suggs to return in 2014 unless he is at a different cap figure. 

I do think using the saved cap money from releasing Suggs on Decker is a defensible option, though I'd probably prefer to just resign Suggs. If I can only choose one of Suggs or Decker, I'm taking Suggs.

I like Decker, but I'm not wild about him.  I think Torrey is better, so if we can only pay one of those two, I'd much rather it be Torrey.  If we can sign both, I think Decker's strengths do complement Torrey's quite well and they'd make a good tandem, but I wouldn't throw a $9-10M AAV deal at Decker.  I think Torrey is worth more, so he's my big signing.  If Decker ends up settling for a deal in the $7M AAV range, I'd go after him and hope to also sign Torrey to a deal in the $9M AAV range.

• Mike in STL likes this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

http://baltimorespor...wide-receivers/

Should the Ravens go this route to fill the holes at WR, pickings are slim.

Great write up Mike.

i would prefer the Ravens do something they almost never do and bring back Q on a 2 to 3 year deal.  Besides bringing that 50/50 ball ability, Q brings that attitude that was sorely lacking in this years offense.  Boldin plays better when he is pissed and I think the chip on the shoulder attitude Boldin played with this year fueled those numbers.

Harbaugh and the Ravens did Jim Harbaugh a favor last off season giving Q away for the late round pick (and cap room), now do the fans a favor and bring Anquan back.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

I really don't know what to think of Suggs.  For the first half of the year, he was a monster and the second half he was non existant.  I hate the thought of cutting him, but if we do, maybe spend the money fixing the Oline and signing Boldin than going all in on Decker.

Your right Torrey is not a #1.but if we can not keep our QB on his feet and we can not run the ball, setting up play action, I am not sure Decker would be a #1 here either.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Im not a fan of paying Decker what he'll get in FA. I disagree with essentialy choosing Decker over Torrey as well

I'd bring back Boldin at the right price, with the idea of still drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds.

I'd also take a flyer on Maclin if he's only going to get a short term contract.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#20 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

It's not a very impressive group. Decker is probably the best, but I don't see him as a true #1 WR. He benefits a lot from having a guy like Thomas lined up across from him. It's dangerous to pay someone who comes from a high octane offense like Denver's that is stacked with talent and then expect him to the man (Greg Jennings anyone?).

I doubt the Ravens spend too much on a FA WR to be honest, especially with a draft class that is incredibly deep at WR. I could see bringing in a cheap vet to help supplement the WR corps though.

• Mike in STL likes this
@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=