HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

ESPN: Art Rooney II favors full-time refs

http://espn.go.com/n...ees-more-replay

"We ask a lot of our officials," [Art Rooney II] said. "They've got a lot more that they're looking at nowadays than ever before, and I think they do a good job on the whole. It's up to us league-wide to make sure we put them in a position to do the best job that they can do."

@levineps

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Long overdue.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

While I fully support this idea, I do love the fact that, other than about 20 weekends a year, Ed Hoculi is a plain ol' lawyer.

@DJ_McCann

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

While I fully support this idea, I do love the fact that, other than about 20 weekends a year, Ed Hoculi is a plain ol' lawyer.

And they are full of accountants, school principals, and other white collar professions, whose primary income doesn't constitute calling football games.

@levineps

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

And they are full of accountants, school principals, and other white collar professions, whose primary income doesn't constitute calling football games.

I know. It's just the image of Gun Show in the courtroom. Or Mike Carey (who owns a ski-accessory company) doing a presentation (or anything where he has to point at things).

@DJ_McCann

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

One of my coworkers is a line judge.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Here's the SI series, Peter King did in the life of a ref

http://mmqb.si.com/2...-with-nfl-refs/

http://mmqb.si.com/2...-refs-part-two/

http://mmqb.si.com/2...w-part-three/5/

@levineps

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

CBS Sports: Report: 21 officials in developmental program could work games in 2014

http://www.cbssports...ld-work-in-2014

"In an effort to improve officiating next season, the league has spent this past year grooming 21 officials in its newly created developmental program with the idea that these officials will be better prepared to step into NFL games as early as next season," Schefter said on NFL Countdown.

"The 21 officials in training have spent time with current officiating crews, watching how work weekends and games unfold to get a better idea of the atmosphere they can be thrust into next season. And the belief is that many of these officials can step in and provide immediate results. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made no secret of the fact that he'd like to upgrade the league's officiating, and the league hopes that this could be just the way to do it."

@levineps

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

SportsBusiness Journal: NFL Teams Saw Local Market Ratings Gains In '13; Chiefs, Seahawks Up Big

http://www.sportsbus.../NFL-local.aspx

@levineps

#10 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Not sure how many this will surprise....

http://msn.foxsports...nkruptcy-012214

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

There are some crazy stories out there about Vince Young.  Like how he bought like 75% of a Southwest Plane once so he wouldn't need to sit close to anyone.  Or how he'd drop $5k tabs and pay for everyone at the TGIF's near his house.  Crazy dude.

It's too bad, I always like him as a football player and wanted him at least be as good as he was capable of.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

CBS Sports: Goodell: NFL would consider medical marijuana if it helps concussions

http://www.cbssports...eat-concussions

"I'm not a medical expert," the commissioner said, via USAToday.com. "We will obviously follow signs. We will follow medicine and if they determine this could be a proper usage in any context, we will consider that. Our medical experts are not saying that right now."

But the commissioner remains open-minded about future possibilities.

"I don't know what's going to develop as far as the next opportunity for medicine to evolve and to help either deal with pain or help deal with injuries, but we will continue to support the evolution of medicine," he said.

@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Poll: 49 percent are pro football fans (ESPN)

Last year, 56 percent of people polled said they were NFL fans, and that number dropped slightly to 49 percent this year. Even among those who said they were NFL fans, 31 percent said they had no interest in attending a Super Bowl, even if they could afford it.

Fans were about evenly split on expansion of the playoffs. Twenty-six percent favor allowing more teams into the playoffs, an idea being considered by the NFL. Twenty-eight percent oppose it and 45 percent are neither in favor nor opposed.

@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

NFL most popular for 30th year in row (ESPN)

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).

A bit surprised how low the NBA is here. And how the NHL is higher than college basketball, but that doesn't mean more people watch the NHL than college basketball. I don't really consider auto racing a sport, but that's a separate discussion.

Nine percent fewer fans call baseball their favorite sport over the 30-year span, the biggest drop of any sport. The polling numbers suggest that the sport hasn't been able to recover from a popularity standpoint from 1994, when a strike forced the cancellation of the World Series.

@levineps

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

NFL most popular for 30th year in row (ESPN)

A bit surprised how low the NBA is here. And how the NHL is higher than college basketball, but that doesn't mean more people watch the NHL than college basketball. I don't really consider auto racing a sport, but that's a separate discussion.

I think both the NHL and college basketball are highly regional in nature. So if you asked about the NHL in the Northeast, or college basketball in particular states, you would get significantly higher numbers.

Auto racing also encompasses both Indycar and NASCAR (and the Formula One fans out there) so that probably accounts for it being higher than some others.

@DJ_McCann

#16 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Interesting stuff. I'm surprised NASCAR was more popular than all of the Hoops.

I'd have Baseball first, NBA, College Hoops, NFL 4th.

@beginthebegin71

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Interesting stuff. I'm surprised NASCAR was more popular than all of the Hoops.

I'd have Baseball first, NBA, College Hoops, NFL 4th.

To go further into what I said above, I think that the NFL is so dominant in these polls because it is the one most likely to have fans of the sport beyond individual teams. NFL fans are more likely to watch other games or programming about the sport, whereas a fan of an MLB or NBA or college team is much more likely to care about that team alone.

• 1970 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

I wonder if the slight drop had anything to do with League of Denial.  I know I struggled with being a football fan for a few weeks after I watched that.

#19 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I certainly wouldn't consider 57% to 49% over a year to be a "slight drop".  I'd consider it a pretty monumental drop, assuming the polling was done accurately. 

• 1970 likes this

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

College basketball sliding in Harris Poll of sport popularity (CBS Sports)

College basketball finished with 5 percent of the vote in 2011 and 2012, but this year's poll shows a slight dip in sport favoritism to 3 percent.

Such a slight variation is not overly concerning, but it does oppose some of the recent statistics regarding the college hoops' crown jewel, the NCAA tournament. The 2013 NCAA tournament averaged 10.7 million total viewers, up 11 percent from 2012 and the highest average for the tournament in 19 years.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=