• Please log in to reply
1579 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Listening to Valentine's radio interview from yesterday. He was asked pretty easy questions about Schilling (who had said he was a fan of Valentine, but did not think Valentine was a good match in Boston.)

These were very fair, not overly aggressive questions. Valentine being unable to deflect, and address those softballs was not a good sign. If you can't handle the stress of being 1-5, what happens when you face real adversity in that media market?

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Tough injury for Boston, with Ellsbury being lost for the next 6? weeks to a separated shoulder. I don't root for any players to get injured, even direct divisional opponents. After Ellsbury's impressive 2011, this is going to obviously impact his chances of replicating that season.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Valentine's quote yesterday on Youkilis is a perfect example of why Valentine quickly wears out his welcome. I wonder if he had similar issues in Japan?

#24 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Valentine's quote yesterday on Youkilis is a perfect example of why Valentine quickly wears out his welcome. I wonder if he had similar issues in Japan?

Pedroia didn't take too kindly to those comments.

"I really don't know what Bobby is trying to do," Pedroia said Monday. "That's not the way we go about our stuff around here. He'll figure that out. The whole team is behind Youk. We have each other's backs here."

, later adding a "maybe that works in Japan"

#25 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Anyone want to guess how long Valentine lasts in Boston? Watch out if the Sox happen to hit a 7-8 game losing streak!
@Tpjs1

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Anyone want to guess how long Valentine lasts in Boston? Watch out if the Sox happen to hit a 7-8 game losing streak!

Certainly hard to imagine him being there beyond 2-3 years. You are right, should they go on an early losing streak this year, you wonder how much pressure there would be for a change.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

FanGraphs: Bard in the rotation, so far, so good
http://www.fangraphs...so-far-so-good/

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Still think they made a poor decision in firing Francona.

@AdamWolff

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Still think they made a poor decision in firing Francona.

I don't think made such a bad decision in firing Francona. It's not that he was a bad manager, look at his record in Philly though as much as the shelf life of a manager is pretty short and in Boston it's even shorter. Clearly with Epstein out, the team is heading in a new direction, albeit maybe just slightly.

I don't know if Valentine is the answer, maybe not. I don't expect him to be there in 5 years, but 2-3 years sounds about right.
@levineps

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Boston goes from winning 9-1 to being down 15-9 in 2 innings.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Boston goes from winning 9-1 to being down 15-9 in 2 innings.

Wow. I saw the game at 9-0. Can't believe NY came back to put 15 runs on the board. The Press Conference with Valentine afterwards had to be fun.

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

This has been the kind of week that could make a manager start popping Vicodin.

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

http://hardballtalk.... ... e-to-talk/

Reports are that a man matching Larry Lucchino's description was seen getting out of a cab at the offices of the Boston Globe after the game...

#34 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

This one was hard to believe. I saw it was 9-0 when I shut off the computer and went to walk the dog. By the time I got back, locked up, and got ready for bed, my cellphone told me it was 9-8 with runners on 1st and 2nd and still no one out.

By the time I woke up in the morning, it was a serious massacre.

Back-to-back 7-run innings?! Are you kidding me?

In his mailbag over the weekend, Bill Simmons jokingly suggested that the Red Sox might be destined for a 72-90 season. I wonder whether he thinks that's much of a joke any more after this one?

Maybe this will finally get their fans to stop being so smug, but I doubt it.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

This one was hard to believe. I saw it was 9-0 when I shut off the computer and went to walk the dog. By the time I got back, locked up, and got ready for bed, my cellphone told me it was 9-8 with runners on 1st and 2nd and still no one out.

By the time I woke up in the morning, it was a serious massacre.

Back-to-back 7-run innings?! Are you kidding me?

In his mailbag over the weekend, Bill Simmons jokingly suggested that the Red Sox might be destined for a 72-90 season. I wonder whether he thinks that's much of a joke any more after this one?

Maybe this will finally get their fans to stop being so smug, but I doubt it.

These Red Sox-Yankees games are never truly over. What can I say?
@levineps

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I gotta say, I'm thoroughly enjoying the continued collapse of the Boston Red Sox.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I gotta say, I'm thoroughly enjoying the continued collapse of the Boston Red Sox.

I'm enjoying it as well, but realistically I don't expect it to continue. They had a bad beginning last year, great middle and bad September. Another horrible at the bookends, but best team in baseball besides that. It's a marathon not a sprint, wouldn't be as concerned as some are making it.
@levineps

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

They have more problems this year than they did last year though. Injuries, a questionable manager and a new front office.

I do expect the talent to prevail and for them to come close to, or make, the postseason, but it's definitely not a sure thing like it was in the past.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

To be fair, they've already played Detroit, Tampa Bay, Texas, and New York..Arugably the 4 best teams in the league.

They'll bounce back.
@beginthebegin71

#40 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

To be fair, they've already played Detroit, Tampa Bay, Texas, and New York..Arugably the 4 best teams in the league.

They'll bounce back.

Last year gainst those teams they were:

5-1 vs DET
6-12 vs TB
4-6 vs TEX
12-6 vs NYY

27-25 overall.

I do agree they will bounce back but they have some problems.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=