New York Yankees

• Please log in to reply
1813 replies to this topic

#1761 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:46 PM

The Yankees lineup is stacked top to bottom, they will be the team to beat for the AL title, that's a WS team if they stay healthy, and their SP perform decently. 

O's can only hope Bradish and/or Means are healthy, if they aren't, the O's will need to get a Montgomery or Snell, or make a trade for a quality SP.   They will probably role with they have right now though, unless new owners give OK to pursue options. But that prob doesn't happen until sale has been finalized, sigh.  

#1762 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

I think you couldve picked any professional baseball player in any org to take those Davis ABs from '18-'20 and you couldnt have found someone to do worse. Maybe some 16 yr old playing in the DSL wouldve been worse but I wouldn't bet on anyone playing stateside to be worse.

You're gonna make me go find someone with awful stats on Delmarva for two or three years aren't you :)

#1763 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 05:46 PM

You're gonna make me go find someone with awful stats on Delmarva for two or three years aren't you :)

Go for it. Lol. There was very little hyperbole in my my thought there. I genuinely believe he was one of the worst players in all of professional baseball at that time.

#1764 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,590 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:11 PM

The Yankees lineup is stacked top to bottom, they will be the team to beat for the AL title, that's a WS team if they stay healthy, and their SP perform decently.
O's can only hope Bradish and/or Means are healthy, if they aren't, the O's will need to get a Montgomery or Snell, or make a trade for a quality SP. They will probably role with they have right now though, unless new owners give OK to pursue options. But that prob doesn't happen until sale has been finalized, sigh.

Outside of Judge and Soto nobody scares me in their lineup. Granted those are two of the best in the league. They’re also old and/or injury prone.

#1765 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

Outside of Judge and Soto nobody scares me in their lineup. Granted those are two of the best in the league. They’re also old and/or injury prone.

LeMahieu, Rizzo, Stanton, Torres, Volpe, Verdugo, they are all dangerous batters, and w/ Judge and Soto, that's an impressive lineup top to bottom.  Spencer Jones waiting to show.  If their pitching performs as they expect/hope, they are WS potential. 

#1766 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:26 PM

LeMahieu, Rizzo, Stanton, Torres, Volpe, Verdugo, they are all dangerous batters, and w/ Judge and Soto, that's an impressive lineup top to bottom. Spencer Jones waiting to show. If their pitching performs as they expect/hope, they are WS potential.

96, 94, 87, 118, 81, and 100 OPS+ out of that group last year. Not all that dangerous, IMO. Bigger names than ability at this point. Reason to expect better performance from some, but they stunk last year for the most part.
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#1767 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:09 PM

Games are won between April-Oct, not Nov-Feb. Yankees don’t scare me at all.

Padres had Soto, Manny and Tatis last year, to go along with Cy Snell. What did they do?
  • BobPhelan, BaltBird 24 and DuffMan like this

#1768 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,590 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:51 PM

LeMahieu, Rizzo, Stanton, Torres, Volpe, Verdugo, they are all dangerous batters, and w/ Judge and Soto, that's an impressive lineup top to bottom. Spencer Jones waiting to show. If their pitching performs as they expect/hope, they are WS potential.

Not one name you just listed is intimidating in the least… Spencer Jones could be good but will also get the Yankee hype machine behind him and he’s a year away.

If their pitching stays healthy and Rodon pitches like it’s 2021-2022 they will be dangerous. Hope Judge doesn’t stub his toe.

#1769 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:01 PM

I've already seen Yankee fans calling Jones the LH Judge. I guess there are some who will be predicting multiple 50+ HR seasons.

#1770 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 06:07 AM

I've already seen Yankee fans calling Jones the LH Judge. I guess there are some who will be predicting multiple 50+ HR seasons.

They'll be booing him after his first slump.

#1771 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:30 AM

Yankees lineup was terrible last year. I know Judge was out for a while and Stanton is always hurt and they added Soto but they'll have their usual injuries. Should be better than last year but I don't know about it "being stacked from top to bottom".

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1772 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:57 AM

Jones is an impressive prospect but it hasn't completely translated to games yet.  He was 22 at A+ for nearly all of last year, under 800 OPS and only 16 HRs and struck out 29% of the time.  Guys can pop at any time, and he's got the tools and frame to tap to do more power, but he doesn't concern me at all in terms of the Yankees outlook for 2024.

#1773 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:00 AM

Go for it. Lol. There was very little hyperbole in my my thought there. I genuinely believe he was one of the worst players in all of professional baseball at that time.

Couple examples from our system, these may be debatable which supports your point about Davis (550 OPS from '18-'20).  There are no minor league stats in 2020, by the way, so I'm just gonna look at '18-'19.  I imagine that most guys that hit badly enough in 2018 and 2019 to be considered for this honor wouldn't get much if any run in 2020 anyways even if it were a normal year.

Stuart Levy had a 540 OPS over 294 PA in Delmarva and Frederick

Ian Evans had a 570 OPS over 350 PA in GCL and Aberdeen

Jean Carillo had a 585 OPS over 490 PA in Delmarva and Frederick

Ben Breazeale had a 620 OPS over 600 PA in Delmarva and Frederick

Robbie Thorburn had a 640 OPS over 600 PA in Delmarva and Frederick

Needless to say, Stanton ain't anywhere close to as bad as Davis got. At least not yet :)

#1774 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:03 AM

You do also have to consider the pinstripe magic. It's a thing. Guys go there and just perform. Or at least get hot for periods of time. 

Franchy Cordero. Luke Voit. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1775 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:25 AM

You do also have to consider the pinstripe magic. It's a thing. Guys go there and just perform. Or at least get hot for periods of time. 

That happens everywhere.  Tony Bautista.  David Newhan.  Melvin Mora.  Nate McLouth.  Steve Pearce.  Ryan O'Hearn.  Its not magic.  Well, its baseball, so I suppose it is magic, but its certainly not unique pinstripe magic.

• makoman likes this

#1776 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:27 AM

I'll give you Voit, but Franchy didn't perform, I wouldn't even call one week as being hot really. McKenna was far better.

O's magic is a thing too. Ryan O'Hearn, Jonathan Villar, Jose Iglesias, Renato Nunez... 

• Mackus likes this

#1777 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:28 AM

Aaron Hicks!

#1778 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:27 PM

Pooh pooh them all you want. The oddsmakers have them favorites to win the ALE. 

#1779 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:31 PM

Pooh pooh them all you want. The oddsmakers have them favorites to win the ALE. 

The safe bet.  The Yankmees are loaded on offense and will score a lot of runs.  If their pitching performs well, and if they add Snell or Montgomery, they should reach the WS.  Will Judge last the season w/o an IR stint, that's the ?.

#1780 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:33 PM

The oddsmakers know lots of people will bet on the Yankees because they are the Yankees, not necessarily due to merit.
  • BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=