#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

BTW...This is what happens when you have a club that is proactive as opposed to reactive.

The O's should have done this with Matt Wieters about 18 months ago. Yes, I know his agent is Scott Boras but they should have at least broached the possibility.

Guarantee him more money than he'll ever need in his life, and it would be so tough for him to turn it down.

Now, if he blows up in the next couple years, he'll be as good as gone, or when he hits free agency as a catcher, the O's, if they were to re-sign him, would be playing not only for future performance but for past as well. For a catcher, that is always a scary, risky proposition.

The Rays are paying their guys below-market value for future performance. That's why they are one of the brightest organizations in baseball and the O's are the worst.

I'm not sure how much they could've offered him being a Boras client. The only Boras client to sign an extension at a team-friendly deal was Jered Weaver and that was going against Boras' advice.

It's easy to talk about this stuff and I agree with you, they should attempt to do it, but I don't think it would've happened.

Just another observation, it's a bit easier to do this when you are a winning observation than a losing one. Sure you could give Wieters more than he needs, but how good is that when you are winning 65 games a year.
@levineps

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

MLB Dirt: Top 16 Prospects
http://mlbdirt.com/2...p-16-prospects/

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Inside the Book / Tom Tango: Hellickson will be the guy who will buck the BABIP trend
http://www.insidethe...l_buck_the_bab/

FanGraphs: Hellickson and Re-Defining BABIP
http://www.fangraphs...defining-babip/

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

SI: Matt Moore, already an October hero, preps for Rookie year
http://sportsillustr...html?xid=cnnbin

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

NBC Sports / Hardball Talk: Hellickson taken out on a cart after getting hit in the head during a bp session
http://hardballtalk....g-a-bp-session/

Scary news here. Hope Hellickson is ok.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

DRaysBay: Ben Zobrist and Plate Discipline
http://www.draysbay....late-discipline

#27 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

This is a cool story:

Shifty moves: Rays redefining defense

Pitchers like James Shields can "audible" in an out of shifts depending on their pitches.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

FCP Baseball Report: The importance of Maddon
http://fcpbaseballre...ance-of-maddon/

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Do you think the Rays will keep Davis in their bullpen all year, or look to trade him later this year? Nice knowing that depth is available.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

DRaysBay: What's Ailing Matt Moore?
http://www.draysbay....ling-matt-moore

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

ESPN / Steve Berthiaume: Rays need to get out of Tampa Bay
http://espn.go.com/b...ut-of-tampa-bay

ESPN Sweet Spot / The Ray Area: Response to Steve Berthiaume
http://therayarea.com/steve-berthiaume

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm not saying they won't relocate, but it's very difficult in baseball for many reasons. It's hard to relocate in any sport given relocation fees, wondering whether the city you are moving to truly is a better fit, a temporary/permenant facility must be available, etc. In other sports such as football or basketball, there are usually college venues that can atleast temporarily serve until a new facility is built. In hockey, you'll usually need to add a sheet of ice and some locker rooms. The best possible scenario for baseball is usually a minor league facility that can be expanded since most football stadiums are not being built as multi-purpose venues are they once were since a new stadium will take atleast 2-3 years to build. I don't know if there's a college baseball stadium in America that could accomodate an MLB team even on a temporary basis.

What baseball did wrong in Tampa's case, was they should've required as part of the agreement to having a team, a new stadium would have to be built in Tampa or atleast significantly more renovations to the current one(this probably would not have been enough). Learning their mistake, they did make this a non-negotitable part to the Expos coming to DC.

In the last two rounds of expansion, they only really got Colorado right, both on-and-off-the-field. The three other teams have all been successful on-the-field, but they have all failed to sustain thier success off of it for a significant period of time. It will be really interesting to see how the Marlins do have their "honeymoon" this year in the new park.

So they should've gone to DC instead of Tampa, Orioles were very sucessful in the mid-90s, so it would've hurt them more than it hurts them now. Where should MLB move? It took them over three years from when they threatened to end Montreal's association with MLB. What are are the choices: San Juan, Monterrey(Mex), Charlotte (or other area in NC), Nashville (or Memphis), San Antonio, Portland, Indianapolis, back to Montreal? Yeah, no slam dunk choices as in no major US media market dying for a team. Not an NFL-like situation, where you can just leverage LA. And let's say you put one there, where would they play? I think Portland would have the best chance here as I believe their minor league ballpark was built to be expanded. Memphis would also be a good choice, having been on the outside of that.

Best solution is probably staying in Tampa and working with what you have. In hindsight, MLB should stayed at 28 teams, expanded to Arizona instead of Florida for the '93 season and still moved to Montreal to DC(the latter two you could argue vice versa)
@levineps

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Best solution is probably staying in Tampa..

Best solution is actually moving to Tampa. The Rays do not succeed because they are in St. Pete. They need a stadium in downtown Tampa, preferably around Raymond James. Would be great if they could just but out the Yankees training facility and build there.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Best solution is probably staying in Tampa..

Best solution is actually moving to Tampa. The Rays do not succeed because they are in St. Pete. They need a stadium in downtown Tampa, preferably around Raymond James. Would be great if they could just but out the Yankees training facility and build there.

If they wanted to move there and could get out of their lease, I'm sure they could like when the Ravens forced the CFL team out of Memorial Stadium. I don't think a minor league team or spring training even the Yankees is going to take precedence over an MLB team and if that is the case, it's a reason to get out of Tampa.

I'm still hesistant to say even if they had a SOTA stadium in a "better part" of town it would work, but probably your best case scenario.

I'm not sure what the ratings are this year, but if you ask me the decline of them is even worse than the attendance. You can make the case about people not wanting to use their dispoable income and how inconvienient it is. Much harder to say people can't watch games generally after the workday when nearly everyone owns a TV.
@levineps

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

If they wanted to move there and could get out of their lease, I'm sure they could like when the Ravens forced the CFL team out of Memorial Stadium. I don't think a minor league team or spring training even the Yankees is going to take precedence over an MLB team and if that is the case, it's a reason to get out of Tampa.

I'm still hesistant to say even if they had a SOTA stadium in a "better part" of town it would work, but probably your best case scenario.

I'm not sure what the ratings are this year, but if you ask me the decline of them is even worse than the attendance. You can make the case about people not wanting to use their disposable income and how inconvenient it is. Much harder to say people can't watch games generally after the workday when nearly everyone owns a TV.

The TV ratings are down, it was part of the linked articles. It is a great point about why they are in real trouble. That said, if they are going to try and make things work in that market, they have to get out of St. Pete to have any viable chance of success.

#36 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Chris, these were written last June, right?

Interesting stuff. I found the Berthiaume article to be more convincing... the response seemed to blow off many of his points with anecdotal and unsupported evidence. He even went so far as to offer the Bucs and Lightening as counter-examples when the original argument used them as evidence that Tampa doesn't support their sports teams well! Odd.

I find it difficult to believe that there are no other viable major league markets the Rays could move to. Especially when you consider that cities like Nashville/Memphis, Indianapolis, Charlotte, and New Orleans all support multiple major sports franchises, not to mention the other cities that support at least one (Salt Lake, Ok. City, Buffalo, Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio, etc. etc.). Statistically, I agree that Tampa/St.Pete/Orlando probably looks like the ripest market from a population perspective, but it just isn't working. And they have zero chance of getting a new stadium there.
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm not sure what the ratings are this year, but if you ask me the decline of them is even worse than the attendance. You can make the case about people not wanting to use their disposable income and how inconvenient it is. Much harder to say people can't watch games generally after the workday when nearly everyone owns a TV.

The TV ratings are down, it was part of the linked articles. It is a great point about why they are in real trouble. That said, if they are going to try and make things work in that market, they have to get out of St. Pete to have any viable chance of success.

Those articles are nearly a year old. I meant what are they this year?
@levineps

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Ha! My fault Madison, I saw them linked high on The Ray Area today - never actually saw the dates.
I'll ask some of the Rays contacts I have if they know.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ha! My fault Madison, I saw them linked high on The Ray Area today - never actually saw the dates.
I'll ask some of the Rays contacts I have if they know.

No worries, I track attendance casually, always have been interested for some reason. And I've noticed the Rays besides the Yankees haven't had good attendance for the most part, so those articles are very much still relevant.
@levineps

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

Rays and Sox had the benches clear in the Rays win 7-4. Rays player got hit, Red Sox threw behind a Rays player, then Luke Scott gets pegged in the leg and the benches clear.

Joe Maddon seemed furious after the game during the press conference, calling the actions by the Red Sox "absurd" and "idiotic." Valentine responded by saying "boys will be boys."

Seems like the Red Sox sure like to clear their benches a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=