HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Yea..I like Ledos a lot too.

Dough Roller is good!

Best franchise pizza? Sbarros for me I think.

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Not a fan of Ledos pizza... but their cheese steak is delicious.

#43 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Tomatoes in Fells Point is pretty good.

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Haha. But just like with the garlic sauce or any dipping sauce for crust, while the stuffed crust may make it pretty tasty, it's only a move made with mediocre or worse crust IMO.

I know. I just like the idea of cheese in the crust. But a really good crust certainly doesn't need it.

@DJ_McCann

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

So City Paper did a bracket for pizza back in March and Homeslyce won. Never been...is it any good?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

I made some dough with Caputo 00 flour last night and added more yeast than the recipe called for. Going to have the pizza tonight instead of waiting 2-3 nights. I hope it doesn't blow the lid off of the container before I get home. It was rising pretty quickly when I checked this morning.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Cooked the Caputo 00 dough last night. Came out nicely...study crust...but the dough I am aiming for isn't sturdy. I just wish it had more fluffiness inside. I didn't mix and knead the dough all that much when I made it so the next batch I make tonight will get mixed and kneaded more and hopefully that will make the dough a little more puffy inside.

Still, the dough was much easier to work with than when I was using King Arthur Flour. Absorbed water much better/faster.

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

This all sounds like a "juice ain't worth the squeeze" type deal.

No offense.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

This all sounds like a "juice ain't worth the squeeze" type deal.

No offense.

Not exactly.

I'll never be able to make dough like you can get an traditional Neapolitan restaurants, which is my favorite style of pizza -- soft, airy dough with a crackling outside layer of crust. But the ingredients I use are way better than any regular pizza shop and I can make whatever kind of pizza I want.

Making dough can be a PITA but it's still fun to watch your dough rise in the fridge over the course of a day or two and anticipate using it.

Making your own sushi -- now that's juice that's not worth the squeeze.

• Russ likes this

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Making your own sushi -- now that's juice that's not worth the squeeze.

Done that. And your right.

Another thing, making your own pasta. That stuff is about $1.50 a box vs. the time and all the bs that goes into It.
  • Russ likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Fresh dough, pasta, and bread are all definitely worth the squeeze, IMO.

Also, the squeezing can be fun.  If you enjoy doing it, it basically becomes a hobby that's edible at the end!

As with anything in life, you can get it quicker and probably cheaper and somewhat close to as good by buying off the shelf, but there is definitely a certain satisfaction in having done something yourself.  Whether it's making pizza dough, DIY stuff around the house, mowing your lawn, taking photos, working on a car, or whatever you enjoy.  To someone who doesn't enjoy whatever it is, taking the time seems stupid (people who obsessively wash, clean, and detail their car are aliens to me, mines constantly a disaster and it doesn't bother me at all, except when I can't find something on the floor or trunk that I know is in there).  To someone who doe enjoy that that thing, not doing it the right way yourself seems unthinkable.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#52 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

So City Paper did a bracket for pizza back in March and Homeslyce won. Never been...is it any good?

It's good, but they won because of a well organized voting campaign. I wouldn't put them in the top 10.

• KWebz likes this
@DaKittenz

#53 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Fresh dough, pasta, and bread are all definitely worth the squeeze, IMO.

Also, the squeezing can be fun.  If you enjoy doing it, it basically becomes a hobby that's edible at the end!

As with anything in life, you can get it quicker and probably cheaper and somewhat close to as good by buying off the shelf, but there is definitely a certain satisfaction in having done something yourself.  Whether it's making pizza dough, DIY stuff around the house, mowing your lawn, taking photos, working on a car, or whatever you enjoy.  To someone who doesn't enjoy whatever it is, taking the time seems stupid (people who obsessively wash, clean, and detail their car are aliens to me, mines constantly a disaster and it doesn't bother me at all, except when I can't find something on the floor or trunk that I know is in there).  To someone who doe enjoy that that thing, not doing it the right way yourself seems unthinkable.

Great post, I would add homebrewing (beer) to that list as well.

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

This is one of the ones I made last night...pecorino cheese, mozzarella, basil, capicola, San Marzano tomatoes.

photo.jpg

• ChaosLex likes this

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Went to Bagby's today. Not impressed, but maybe we'll try a different pie sometime.

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

Verde is the best pizza I've had in the city so far. Pretty expensive, though.

Rankings:

Verde

Homeslyce

Isabella's

Johnny Rad's

Iggies (But the Nutella is amazing!)

Matthew's

Bagby's

#57 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Yeah Verde is tops. Pricey but worth it.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Had Homeslyce for the first time last night, thought it was really good.  I think I like Bagby better, but they were better than Johnny Rad's (which I do like as well). 

Their crust was great at the edges of the pizza, maybe the best of any of the other places, but was kind of soggy near the middle.  If it was crispy all the way through, then they may be my favorite.  That may have been due to the pizzas we ordered - chicken pesto and meat lovers - but they didn't seem to have too many toppings where you'd think it would be the reason for the sogginess.  It seemed more like it was tossed too thin at the center.

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Milt's in Brooklyn Park makes some quality Za.  

#60 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

Is Homeslyce that bar in Fed Hill?  I went there after the Ravens/Steelers playoff game this year -- was pretty solid.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=