166 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

Is Homeslyce that bar in Fed Hill?  I went there after the Ravens/Steelers playoff game this year -- was pretty solid.

Yeah, there are a few, including one in Canton now where Americana and Clutch used to be.  Maybe they can actually last in that spot.  It was pretty packed last night.

#62 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Anyone been to Pie 5?  I went to the one in Laurel its relatively new and I thought it was great.  Pizza takes like 5 minutes to make while you stand in line almost like a sub joint as you add your toppings or pick your pizza.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#63 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Among the big chains of home delivery pizza, which one has the best (least-bad) pizza?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Among the big chains of home delivery pizza, which one has the best (least-bad) pizza?

I'll take Papa Johns over Pizza Hut or Dominoes.  Can't remember the last time I had Little Caesar's.  Anyone else qualify as a big chain? 

#65 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

I tend to prefer Pizza Hut, but we get Dominoes quite a bit, too. Haven't had Pizza John's or Little Caesars in a long time, even though they are both close by.

I made a homemade deep-dish pizza the other night. It came out pretty great.

@DJ_McCann

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

I tend to prefer Pizza Hut, but we get Dominoes quite a bit, too. Haven't had Pizza John's or Little Caesars in a long time, even though they are both close by.

I usually turn down Dominoes even when it's free (my work usually provides free Dominoes for lunch when they try to get us all together for a large group meeting).  I know they tried to say they've been improving and the pizza is better in recent years, but I still think it's worse than most frozen pizzas.  I think they are clearly the worst of the bunch.

I made a homemade deep-dish pizza the other night. It came out pretty great.

This is something I'd like to try.  What'd you bake it in, cast iron?

#67 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Papa Johns solely for the garlic sauce

#68 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

Papa Johns solely for the garlic sauce

Dominos has a pretty good copy now.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

Dominos has improved itself.

It's hard to make bad pizza imo. There are places that certainly make better pizza than others though.

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

I usually turn down Dominoes even when it's free (my work usually provides free Dominoes for lunch when they try to get us all together for a large group meeting).  I know they tried to say they've been improving and the pizza is better in recent years, but I still think it's worse than most frozen pizzas.  I think they are clearly the worst of the bunch.

They're OK. They definitely have improved, even if it's just to mediocre.

Plus, you have to compare it to price. There may be much better pizza out there, but when you're talking $9-11 for a large pizza versus $14-16, that makes a big difference.

Besides, when my family wants good pizza we'll drive down to Pizza John's :P

This is something I'd like to try.  What'd you bake it in, cast iron?

Actually, just a regular 9" aluminum (non-disposable) pie pan. Cast iron would probably have been better, but like I said it came out great. My only real issue was rushing the crust, so it didn't taste as good as it could've, but that can be fixed.

@DJ_McCann

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

Dominos is worse IMO. Had it a few weeks back and thought it was awful. Of the chains, I prefer pizza hut.

I found a carry out gem on Harford rd called Giovannas. Food was amazing by carry out/delivery standards. Their house sauce for the wings is dynamite. They even sell a real thick Sicilian slice for $2 a piece. I can get 2 slices of those which satisfies me, and prevents me from killing a whole large pizza by myself.

Theres a place called Twisters on Joppa and Loch Raven. Odd location, its in the Days Inn Motel. But pizza was great, and they had a giant beer list. I wasnt feeling froggy enough, but someone ordered a drink from the cocktail menu, they used a kitchen torch to light some wood chips over a glass of bourbon. Then put a glass over it. So the smoke gets into the bourbon.

Looking through this thread...no one mentioned Ginos East in Chicago. Anyone been? Best pizza I've ever had.
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

I've always just assumed that Pizza Hut gives everyone diarrhea, but I guess that's not the case. 😄
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#73 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

I remember seeing a t-shirt many years ago that said:  "Sex is like pizza.  Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good."

• SammyBirdland and DJ MC like this

#74 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:15 PM

There's a place in perry hall called Dominicks(they have a few other locations). Pizza is really good.

Agree with Mike that crispy crust is huge.

Agreed. Dominick's is the bomb. Their Sicilian is magnifigue!

I know I'm gonna get ribbed for this, but I loved the limited time only (unfortunately) pretzel crust pizza at Little Caesar's as well. Sacrilege!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#75 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

7-Eleven

#76 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Dominoes is solid for what it is. I prefer it out of the major chains, but it's been a long time since I had Pizza Hut. Haven't had any of them since moving to Baltimore.

#77 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Of the chains, personal preference is for Little Caesar's.

Pizza Hut would be 2nd.

Dominoes a distant third.

Papa John's comes in dead last.

That all said, can't remember the last time I had LS, let alone PH, D, or PJ.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#78 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

I think this week sometime im going to tackle the deep dish cast iron pizza idea someone mentioned earlier. Gonna try to go all from scratch. Corn meal crust instead of flour like Ginos East. Probably use regular pizza sauce doctored up with fresh herbs. Making your own sauce is pricy. Also pricy is good mozzarella. Especially enough to fill a deep dish pie, and I wouldnt buy that shredded crap Kraft sells in a bag if im making a gourmet pizza. But to make your mozzarella, looks like you need citric acid tablets, and something called rennet? Anyone seen either at the grocery store before? Probably load it up with pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon (aka...ham). No veggies here.
@BSLMikeRandall

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

There's a place in perry hall called Dominicks(they have a few other locations). Pizza is really good.

Agree with Mike that crispy crust is huge.

A few miles up Rt 1 in Kingsville... Margherita Pizza... delicious. One of the best I've had.

#80 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

I love this thread and you guys have inspired me to make my own pie. Any tips for a beginner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=