#1401 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:57 PM

It's a shame we gave him that huge contract because that's what he'll be remembered for. He had some big moments during our 2012 through 2016; I'll choose to remember those times.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and DuffMan like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1402 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

Wish him the best. He's a quality human. I can only imagine how relieved he must feel honestly.

#1403 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

It's a shame we gave him that huge contract because that's what he'll be remembered for. He had some big moments during our 2012 through 2016; I'll choose to remember those times.

Well said. And yes, by many... but people would be foolish to forget all the great memories. And there were several.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1404 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

Yea, me too.  Also the good he did in the community.  

@mikeghg

#1405 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 August 2021 - 11:13 AM

This is from Roch's current column.  I'm not quoting (ie quote text) it and the link is in other places, if someone wants to add the link, fine, it's Roch's words.

----------------------------

Final word on Chris Davis: I’ll remember the long home runs and long stretches when he couldn’t buy a hit. The epic win in relief on May 6, 2012 at Fenway Park that launched the Orioles into contender status. The muscle and misery, the humor and horror. A strutting contradiction. A player going from superhero to villain as if performing a heel turn in professional wrestling.

Has there been a more complicated legacy in franchise history? A guy who twice led the majors in home runs, had fans chanting his name after the final game in 2015, with his free agency approaching, and suffering a decline so steep and swift that it became historic.

Here’s the moment that may stick with me longer than any other. Davis agreeing to a one-on-one interview with me, as he usually did, in August 2018 at Tropicana Field. Walking up the left field line before batting practice, music blaring over the public address system while a few Rays did some early hitting, and plopping down in a chair in the second row with a fan’s name inscribed on a tiny gold plate.

Davis was deliberate in choosing his spot and quipped that he wanted to become that guy, just for one day or even for a few minutes. An escape from being Chris Davis, the former slugger who couldn’t live up to his franchise-record contract and couldn’t tune out the booing, catcalls and vicious insults.

“It’s tough,” he said that day. “We all want to be loved, there’s no doubt about that. You want to be accepted by your fan base. Nobody wants to be ridiculed or criticized, but that’s not the world we live in, especially in this game. When there’s such emphasis put on winning and being successful and getting a leg up on the competition, people, they want to see results and I understand that. But I always think about this as kind of a way to keep me grounded.”

Theories abound on why Davis stopped hitting. His body broke down and the hip labrum surgery was the final straw. He was stubborn when it came to making changes, at least until it was too late. Defensive shifts stymied him. He trended like so many other power-hitting first basemen in their 30s. He needed glasses, which he disputed by telling me, “Believe it or not, every year in spring training my eyes check out at 20/10, which is two tiers better than what 20/20 is considered perfect. My eyesight is pretty damn good. If I needed to wear glasses I would have opted to rock the Chris Sabo look a long time ago.”

There’s also the theory that the contract suffocated him, which he knew wouldn’t elicit pity because it’s really hard to feel sorry for someone making $161 million.

“I think the first couple of years (the contract) was on my mind more than I really let on,” he said at The Trop. “I don’t try to hide anything. I’m pretty open with what’s going on as far as guys asking me what’s going through my head. I think the first couple of years it was on my mind. Not necessarily a burden but a responsibility that I felt, not only to my teammates, coaching staff, my friends and family, but our fans to uphold my end of the bargain. And it was and still is important to me to honor that commitment to the fullest out of respect for Peter Angelos.

“I didn’t know what free agency was going to look like. I had never been through it before. I knew that I wanted to stay in Baltimore. I didn’t know if it was going to be an option at the end of the season, and when it was all said and done I was so excited and almost relieved that I got to stay here. And looking back now, it’s crazy to think what I assumed it was going to be and what it really is. I mean, it’s been tough.”

It ended as it had to, with Davis retiring but not walking - or limping - away from the money owed to him. The Orioles got some relief in 2022 by deferring money rather than paying the lump sum.

The bad-hip dance is over. No more questions next spring about his health, whether there’s a role for him, how the Orioles will fit him on the roster, whether they want him on the roster. We always knew the answer to the last one. It feels like an amicable and necessary parting of ways.

The new regime inherited the contract and didn’t hide how it was a bad fit in a rebuild, as if that could be hidden. But the Orioles vowed to honor it. Davis came to them, knowing he couldn’t answer the bell when it rang next spring. Tired, we’ll assume, of trying. Happy to focus more on family, which always has been a huge priority in his life. The ultimate girl dad.

“That’s kind of a saving grace to me each and every day is you’re not always going to be dealt the best hand, but what are you willing to do with the hand that you’re dealt?” Davis said. “For me, it’s always just go out there and give it everything I have. But I’d be lying if I said the frustration and the negativity and just the overall lack of performance wasn’t weighing on me. I think it’s definitely taken a toll on me this year more than ever.”

Many fans will remember the good times with Davis, and there were plenty, including two major league home run titles, the “Crush” nickname, curtain calls, celebratory pies and playoff runs. Many won’t forgive him for the September 2014 suspension for taking Adderall without a therapeutic-use exemption, which he acquired in the past. The timing was especially bad with Manny Machado and Matt Wieters injured.

Davis was diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and received therapeutic-use exemptions to take Adderall while he played for the Rangers, so it perplexed and frustrated the team that his application with the Orioles was turned down - and also that he continued to take it. He switched the following year to Vyvanse, a different form of stimulant medication that lasts longer in the system.

“I understand that was a mistake I may never stop paying for in the eyes of some people, not going through the steps to get reapproved for those couple of years,” he said. “I understand that. But the medication that I take doesn’t make me a great baseball player. The entire reason I started taking this was because life away from baseball was just kind of spiraling out of control and I had never really explored any avenues as far as being diagnosed.

“There was some pretty good certainty in a few of my school teachers when I was younger that I had ADHD, just because, I mean, I’m the poster child for it. But my whole life, I had been able to go out and play baseball with no problem because it was almost like an escape. It was almost a place where I felt so in my skin that I didn’t have to worry about forgetting to do something earlier that day. So, the medication gets, in my opinion, a little too much power in some people’s eyes. And, yeah, it’s the same thing I’ve been taking for years. It’s the same thing, it’s made by the same guy. It’s just under a different name.

“I’ve had success years I didn’t take anything, I’ve had success years I was on medication. That’s an easy fix to me if that was the case. If I thought that was the reason I was struggling, I’d do whatever I could to not have to worry about it. I just think that’s too much of an easy fix.”

We spent a few more minutes in those seats while the music threatened to drown out our conversation, a source of amusement for him. Maybe the most relaxed that he looked in a while. A temporary fix. Which he would have settled for at the plate.

Former Orioles pitcher and current MASN analyst Ben McDonald told Davis that players are paid backward, rewarded in free agency for past performance. Davis’ career is now behind him. View it and his Orioles Hall of Fame candidacy however you choose.

But I’ll argue until I’m blue in the face whenever some says he didn’t care. I know how much it ate away at him. And I’ll keep separating Davis the player from Davis the man.

One final story: I did a phone interview with Davis during the 2018 offseason while my father was in the hospital on the Eastern Shore. He must have heard about my family situation because he ended our conversation, his voice lowering, by expressing sympathy and offering prayers.

My dad passed away on Jan. 20, 2019. The first flowers that arrived at my mom’s house, with a beautiful card attached, came from Chris and Jill Davis. I have no idea how they got the address.

I continued to chronicle every 0-fer, every strikeout, every ball pulled into the shift with the left side of the infield wide open. And I never confused what he did between the lines with his life outside of them, which included a $3 million donation to the University of Maryland Children’s Hospital and his role as ambassador for the Casey Cares Foundation.

He became a bad power hitter. He never turned into a bad person.

• mweb08 and NewMarketSean like this

#1406 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 12:17 PM

Good luck Chris!
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1407 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:30 PM

I'll always look more fondly on the good days than I'll look back critically at the bad ones. The game he pitched and the grand slam at the first home game in 2013 will probably be the things that stick in my memory the most. The contract is probably the worst ever in sports currently, and will forever be a punchline, but I hope he can move past it enough to be appreciated around the stadium in the future. The things he's done for the city are pretty remarkable as well.

#1408 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:54 PM

There's 71 pages so I'm sure it's been discussed before at some point but it's something I've thought about

Even if Chris is slightly above average in 2017, 2018, etc there's no way it makes a meaningful impact on them contending right? Let's say he repeats his 2016 season almost exactly and has a couple more seasons with 20 doubles, 35 homers and a 110 OPS+, that's still not turning the 2017 team into a playoff team and it'd be pretty wasted on the 2018 team.    

#1409 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:02 PM

The 2017 team might have been leading the Wild Card race before imploding in September, I guess.

#1410 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:08 PM

There's 71 pages so I'm sure it's been discussed before at some point but it's something I've thought about

Even if Chris is slightly above average in 2017, 2018, etc there's no way it makes a meaningful impact on them contending right? Let's say he repeats his 2016 season almost exactly and has a couple more seasons with 20 doubles, 35 homers and a 110 OPS+, that's still not turning the 2017 team into a playoff team and it'd be pretty wasted on the 2018 team.

Other than with those stats he could be traded for prospects who maybe are helping the Os by now.
  • weird-O likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1411 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:46 PM

I’ll remember the long home runs and long stretches when he couldn’t buy a hit.

This will be my memory of Chris Davis. It was the basis for my whole objection to giving him that contract. That type of contract should be reserved for a player who who can carry his team. Davis wasn't that player. He absolutely had hot streaks. But his disappearing acts were more frequent, and far longer lasting.

In time, I may come to reflect more on those O'mazing moments than his last 4.5 seasons (and 2 more that he was paid to be at home). But not right now. His 4.5 quality seasons don't outweigh those epically terrible 6     

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1412 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:26 AM

This will be my memory of Chris Davis. It was the basis for my whole objection to giving him that contract. That type of contract should be reserved for a player who who can carry his team. Davis wasn't that player. He absolutely had hot streaks. But his disappearing acts were more frequent, and far longer lasting.

In time, I may come to reflect more on those O'mazing moments than his last 4.5 seasons (and 2 more that he was paid to be at home). But not right now. His 4.5 quality seasons don't outweigh those epically terrible 6     

I'm glad it's not just me. To be real about it , I think he's a stand up guy and wish him well in whatever his next endeavour is. I don't even blame him for taking all that money that O's gave him bidding against themselves(that's how pro atheletes roll). I simply can't forgot these last five or six seasons where he was an expensive waste of a roster spot. Maybe I can think differently after whatever year that dreaded contract runs out, but definitely not before then.

#1413 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:27 AM

Not to pile on, but what upset me is that those first few terrible years he was in the lineup night after night despite being the worst hitter in baseball.  And that was solely because of what he was being paid.  Not that they would have made the playoffs, but it was a signal to the fanbase that they weren't really interested in putting the best lineup on the field.  Obviously Davis doesn't set the lineup or manage the roster, but from what's been said it doesn't seem like he went all in on trying to improve.

But to be fair, that game where he pitched against the Red Sox was pretty awesome.

#1414 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:18 AM

I think its more than fair to wonder how much he mailed it in after the new deal.

#1415 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:55 AM

Not to pile on, but what upset me is that those first few terrible years he was in the lineup night after night despite being the worst hitter in baseball.  And that was solely because of what he was being paid.  Not that they would have made the playoffs, but it was a signal to the fanbase that they weren't really interested in putting the best lineup on the field.  Obviously Davis doesn't set the lineup or manage the roster, but from what's been said it doesn't seem like he went all in on trying to improve.

His first few terrible years were 2017-2019, and he played 128, 128, and 105 games those years. I don't know if that qualifies as 'night after night'.

#1416 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:56 AM

His first few terrible years were 2017 to 2019, and he played 128, 128, and 105 games those years. I don't know if that qualifies as night after night.

How much of that was injuries?  128 games at .168 is pretty bad.

#1417 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:00 AM

How much of that was injuries?  128 games at .168 is pretty bad.

Oh, it's way more than he should have been playing, no argument there.  But you made it sound like he was playing every night, which just wasn't the case.

Also, his lousy 2018 contributed to the O's being able to draft Adley, so there's that.

#1418 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:01 AM

I think its more than fair to wonder how much he mailed it in after the new deal.

I view it more as stubbornness and pride rather than laziness or apathy.  Either way the end result is the same.  Absolutely fair to criticize him for not trying new things as the historically bad stretch got worse and worse.

#1419 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:16 AM

I still find it fascinating just how bad he got at the end.  It wasn't until the end of 2017 that things really took a bad turn.  He had a 790 OPS in 2016 and then was still at 760 entering September of 2017.  From that point forward he had over 1000 PA with a 553 OPS.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1420 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:21 AM

I still find it fascinating just how bad he got at the end.  It wasn't until the end of 2017 that things really took a bad turn.  He had a 790 OPS in 2016 and then was still at 760 entering September of 2017.  From that point forward he had over 1000 PA with a 553 OPS.

Interesting that September 2017 is also when the team fell apart for good.  They went something like 4-21 to finish 2017, and it was all downhill from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=