#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

I think I will be good as long as they go outside.

All of the candidates being discussed are guys that we should have some reason to be excited about. 

Brandon is right that the scheme isn't like to change much...but that's ok...But it does need to be tweaked.

Your basic concepts of run the ball, get big chunks of yards in the air, etc...will always be there.

But they have to do more quick, short passing...They don't have to do a lot of it but they need to do it more than they do.  Keep the defense honest, not be so predictable, etc...

You have to change that up. 

#22 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

To me, Joe Flacco is a seven minute QB and the Ravens need to find a guy that can make that work.  He can win games when his back is up against the wall but staying consistent and sharp over the course of a full game or games, hasn't happened.

That essentially means you need to find a guy that's going to do more for your run game.  A guy who is going to be able to get consistency week in and week out with Rice and Pierce and you build your passing game around that.

I don't believe a new OC is going to make the huge impact here that some might think.

I'm sure that person will do a better job than Caldwell, however, he's also likely going to have better personnel to work with.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Miller192

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

To me, Joe Flacco is a seven minute QB and the Ravens need to find a guy that can make that work.  He can win games when his back is up against the wall but staying consistent and sharp over the course of a full game or games, hasn't happened.

That essentially means you need to find a guy that's going to do more for your run game.  A guy who is going to be able to get consistency week in and week out with Rice and Pierce and you build your passing game around that.

I don't believe a new OC is going to make the huge impact here that some might think.

I'm sure that person will do a better job than Caldwell, however, he's also likely going to have better personnel to work with.

And, to me, you are describing Kubiak.

I think he is the best candidate for what we WILL do.

If we were going to go a totally different way and really open things up, then he isn't the right guy.

But he should help with the run game, he should bootleg Joe more, we should see more screens ,etc...

I said for years that there is no reason that our offense can't be what Houston was.

I think we need to use more play action and Kubiak will do that.

He just seems to make the most sense since they won't really change the overall philosophy.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#24 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

We've all seen Flacco at his highest and at his lowest.

In order to be successful he needs protection (about every QB in the league), a running game (not only for play-action but in regards to balance) and a few big and speedy targets. (big to help with RZ and 3rd downs and speed to showcase his strong arm) These shouldn't be seen as knocks on him but rather you knowing your player. You know what you are getting with im now put him in situations to be successful. Show off his strengths, minimize weaknesses.

I agree that some of the issue last season was personnel and execution of Flacco and his teammates part. But Chris mentioned this earlier Caldwell was too predictable and used the same concepts over and over. As I've looked around the league more teams use Air Coryell than you might think. The difference is formations, play calling, players, and situational football.

Teams need different things at different times and the Ravens need a vet OC who would find the best ways to be unpredictable and to let Flacco do what he does best.

• 1970 and jasterps like this

#25 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

And, to me, you are describing Kubiak.

I think he is the best candidate for what we WILL do.

If we were going to go a totally different way and really open things up, then he isn't the right guy.

But he should help with the run game, he should bootleg Joe more, we should see more screens ,etc...

I said for years that there is no reason that our offense can't be what Houston was.

I think we need to use more play action and Kubiak will do that.

He just seems to make the most sense since they won't really change the overall philosophy.

Yeah, Kubiak seems to be that guy.

@Miller192

#26 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

To me, Dean Pees should be a great reference throughout this process. While he is not as aggressive as he should be, I believe he understands offensive schemes as well as anyone. I agree finding a coordinator who is not predictable should be a priority & hopefully Dean provides his take on that.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, Im starting to get on board with Kubiak for the reason listed above. He's known for his ability to get teams to run the ball really well. Joe is excellent with a good running game and play action off of it. Joe has also done a pretty good job with bootlegs, at least when mostly bootlegging to his right. Should be able to help with the screen game as well.

I just think back to those Broncos teams that really became the first group famous for the cutblock, zone blocking back in the late 90s and early 00's. Castillo is staying, so bring in the OC that is probably the most famous for utilizing that style. I really am getting excited at the thought of a terrific running game and what Joe can do off of it. As mentioned, he's immensely more talented than Schaub or Plummer. Really, has a similar toolset to that of Elway. I'm not saying he's Elway, but a similar skillset. Big arm, with underrated legs and scrambling ability.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

BTW, if you do bring in Kubiak, does that make Leach staying more likely?

#29 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

BTW, if you do bring in Kubiak, does that make Leach staying more likely?

Leach looked done to me this year. If he's brought back, it won't be at his current salary, IMO.

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

The key of course, if they do bring in Kubiak, will be getting the right OL personal to run the zone blocking scheme. I think we found out that it isn't as easy as just coaching players up.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,024 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Leach looked done to me this year. If he's brought back, it won't be at his current salary, IMO.

Maybe they can convince him to take a paycut, but I'd be real surprised if they cut him again and then resign him like they did last year.

I think he's likely just cut as well.  We'd save $1.75M (Leach's base) for cutting him, and we have Juice on the roster.  I think Juice compares pretty well with someone like James Casey, who the Texans have used as a general purpose FB/TE/RB in recent years.

• jasterps likes this

#32 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

On Kubiak....this guy milked 2 good years out of JAKE FRIGGIN PLUMMER......enough said.

Plus, it was his zone concepts that Leach brought with him from Kubiak and the Texans that helped Ray Rice to back to back really good seasons in 2011-2012.

On Norv Turner, I've made this very well known on this board; big time pass on him. I think his reputation was built on the back of a HOF QB, HOF RB, HOF WR, Pro Bowl FB and very good TE; along with the greatest offensive line ever assembled. His offenses since the Dallas dynasty have been scattershot at best. He's a had a few top 5s but a lot of mediocrity regarding yards and points.

Lastly, on coaches in general. The ego and arrogance of coaches is unbelievable. Last year, Caldwell takes over and just tweeks the playbook, changes some personnel groupings, formations and sequences of play calling; plus he picked up the pace a bit. The success spoke for itself....but that's not good enough. Let's take a group of players that have been doing things the same way for 5 years and change the playbook, change the philosophy and change the verbage. And those results spoke for themselves. Why not just leave well enough alone?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#33 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

On Kubiak....this guy milked 2 good years out of JAKE FRIGGIN PLUMMER......enough said.

Plus, it was his zone concepts that Leach brought with him from Kubiak and the Texans that helped Ray Rice to back to back really good seasons in 2011-2012.

On Norv Turner, I've made this very well known on this board; big time pass on him. I think his reputation was built on the back of a HOF QB, HOF RB, HOF WR, Pro Bowl FB and very good TE; along with the greatest offensive line ever assembled. His offenses since the Dallas dynasty have been scattershot at best. He's a had a few top 5s but a lot of mediocrity regarding yards and points.

Lastly, on coaches in general. The ego and arrogance of coaches is unbelievable. Last year, Caldwell takes over and just tweeks the playbook, changes some personnel groupings, formations and sequences of play calling; plus he picked up the pace a bit. The success spoke for itself....but that's not good enough. Let's take a group of players that have been doing things the same way for 5 years and change the playbook, change the philosophy and change the verbage. And those results spoke for themselves. Why not just leave well enough alone?

Anyone who can have Cleveland's O with Brandon Weeden & Willis McGahee starting most of the season at 18th overall is a miracle worker. If we were 18th on O, we would have went 12-4, with a possible playoff bye. Instead, we were just pathetic.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

1. Kubiak

2. Kyle Shanahan

The are cut from the same cloth. Im buying that their styles are the perfect fit for Flacco.

Turner is a distant 3rd at this point for me.

#35 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Jack Cust.

• BobPhelan, McNulty and Miller192 like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#36 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Drew from WNST is tweeting Chud & Norv are their top candidates per what he's gathered. I assume his source is Kevin Byrne (it usually is).

These are my 2 top choices as well. But I don't see Lombardi granting Norv permission to interview with us. So if we want him, it may take a while.

#37 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

1. Kubiak

2. Kyle Shanahan

The are cut from the same cloth. Im buying that their styles are the perfect fit for Flacco.

Turner is a distant 3rd at this point for me.

This makes the most sense to me as well.  I love these kind of guys as a fit for this offense.

It's got to make sense if me and Bnickle agree :).

#38 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Just a brief update here.  It's very tight lipped as to what directions the Ravens are headed.

They did some background work on Chudzinski but it didn't come back too favorable.  They spoke to a couple of his players and staff. How much the Ravens weigh that is unknown.

One potential candidate told the Ravens he wanted time to prepare.

• You Play to Win the Game, Greg Pappas, BobPhelan and 1 other like this
@Miller192

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

IMO, good on Chud. Not a huge fan there.

#40 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

If the Ravens want Joe to be more of a leader, I wonder how much he might be consulted and/or talked to about this.

• SammyBirdland likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=