#1 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Gary Kubiak ....hard to argue with his track record. In eight seasons with the Texans, the offense ranked in the top five three times and in the top half of the NFL seven times.

Brad Childress

Norv Turner He was a bad head coach but he's been a great offensive coordinator. I believe Turner makes the most sense because he can make the biggest impact on Joe Flacco.

Mike Sullivan

Kyle Shanahan

Ben McAdoo

Bill Lazor

Rob Chudzinski he wasn't lauded as an offensive guru in his final season as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator. Cam Newton regressed in his second season under Chudzinski, and running back DeAngelo Williams was highly critical of Chudzinski after he was hired by the Browns.

With some help from ESPN insider
Roll Tide

#2 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Giants hire McAdoo to be their OC
"@RavensInsider: Giants hire Ben McAdoo as offensive coordinator: Packers quarterbacks coach heading to New York bit.ly/K02HOn @FootballPost #NFL"

#3 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well cross him off then .... :)
  • DJ MC likes this
Roll Tide

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

If they let Harbaugh call the plays, does that mean another coach would be in charge of calling time outs and replay challenges? I'd be down with that.

But seriously, as long as the name comes from outside the organization, I'll likely be okay with it as long as it isn't Brad Childress. Plenty of positive things to take away from Chud, Turner, and Kubiak. A young gun from college would be exciting in a way.

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Kubiak or Chud would probably be at the top of my list.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#6 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hands down Norv Turner!

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hands down Norv Turner!

Listen to our interview with FO writer Rivers McCown tonight.

I think he made an excellent point about why you don't go after Turner.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#8 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think Kubiak is my top choice at the moment.

Since Castillo is being kept around, maybe we stick with zone blocking. Kubiak would be a great asset in that case.

#9 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

I have no interest in Kubiak. During their long losing streak, among the talk in Houston was about how their offense was predictable - thus the reason for the pick sixes, week after week after week. Sure, he'll improve the running game, but today's league is built around the passing game. Norv has had plenty of good running teams, but he has shown to be an elite OC from a passing game perspective. I don't feel like watching Joe bootleg every other play under Kubiak, sorry.

#10 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

To get Turner we'd likey have to name him OC and Asst head coach a title currently held by special teams coach Jerry Rossburg.
Roll Tide

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

I think Kubiak is my top choice at the moment.

Since Castillo is being kept around, maybe we stick with zone blocking. Kubiak would be a great asset in that case.

Really good point.

I would prefer we go away from the zone blocking scheme but if we are going to keep Castillo, then get a coordinator fluent in how to use it.

They are a lot of good options out there.

Kubiak, Chud, Turner etc.

I am concerned that Harbs will stay inside with Hostler.

@mikeghg

#12 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hostler did poorly in his one season as OC. I doubt Steve's on board with that with such accomplished options available. We already know that they requested permission to interview McAdoo. So they aren't just settling on an internal candidate without looking around.
Roll Tide

#13 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

According to the twitter, Gary Kubiak and Mike Martz were spotted in town yesterday.  Martz at BWI, and Kubiak https://twitter.com/...307661682413568

@fuzydunlop

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,753 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ugh please no Mike Martz

#15 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

Rounded up some of the usual suspects.

BSL: Who should the Ravens hire to replace Jim Caldwell?

http://baltimorespor...e-jim-caldwell/

I'm hoping they go outside to find Caldwell's replacement.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#16 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Rice and Faulk carry similar skill sets and traits.  If we want to go spread, Martz wouldn't be awful, but seeing someone at BWI or in Baltimore doesn't mean much.

Kubiak or Shanahan are guys I'd be interested in. They can make OL's work with inferior talent.  They get guys to run the ball well.  And they scheme guys open.  Pitta is a perfect fit for the scheme and a big body to go with Smith, would be the perfect personnel for those guys.  They'd bring a game plan in on what they wanted to do and how they wanted to improve the scheme.

I'd be a fan, both are also accomplished and respected, so I can see Harbs being OK going outside the org to bring them in.

#17 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Listen to our interview with FO writer Rivers McCown tonight.

I think he made an excellent point about why you don't go after Turner.

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Rivers about the Air Coryell system. He says that a deep passing game can't hold up in today's NFL and that you pretty much have to adopt a short passing game to succeed.

I agree that it didn't work for the Ravens this year, but I don't believe that it's the system itself that made our offense so bad. Caldwell's play calling and the reads he was giving Flacco were awful. He called the same four or five concepts over and over again. And, as we all know, the line was awful and the running game fell off a cliff.

I am confident, personally, that the system can work with the right play caller. Can it be the exact same system that Turner used with the Cowboys in 1993? No. It needs more creativity and it needs to incorporate some aspects of other, modern passing attacks. The running game needs to be much more consistent and productive. But I think it can work. 

• 1970 and PrimeTime like this

#18 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Just to add to my point above, I decided to look up Emmitt Smith's rushing numbers from 1992 and 1993, the years Norv Turner won back-to-back Super Bowls as the Cowboys offensive coordinator.

In those two years, Emmitt had 3,948 (!!) combined yards from scrimmage and scored 29 total touchdowns. In fact, 1992 was the second best statistical year of his career.

Hard to say what's the chicken and what's the egg here, but two things are clear: the system doesn't work without an effective running game ('13 Ravens) and the system can produce extremely productive backs ('92 and '93 Cowboys). 

With that said, I think a lot hinges on the line play. But if they can get Rice and Pierce going and improve the play calling, I do think we can have a productive offense under Norv.

• 1970 likes this

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Caldwell doesn't have an Air Coryell backround either. So the question is why didn't they let him change the system llast year.

Was it because they felt it was likely he would only be here for 1 year, or again, do they realize this system works best for Flacco??  I think its the combination of both, but mostly they don't believe Flacco can be overly efficient running the popular offenses of today.

What did Harbaugh say at the SOTR and since. The Ravens consider themselves a power, physical offense and want to get back to it. People need to deal with the fact that no matter who we bring in as OC that the basic identity is going to stay the same. We can absolutely find someone to scheme better in the passing game, but the philosophy is going to stay the same.

#20 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Kubiak is a really interesting option. He took a lot of heat for fielding a "predictable" offense this season, but I've also heard him praised for always finding ways to get Andre Johnson wiiiiiide open despite being the fact that he's priority number one for most defenses. I wonder if he would find innovative ways to get Torrey by himself down the field.

Plus, for all the criticism of Kubiak's system from this past year, Flacco is a hell of a lot more physically gifted than Schaub. He's aggressive enough to want to throw the ball deep and talented enough to do it. I wonder if some of the predictability this past season in HOU came from Schaub's limitations and tendency to look for the short option.

And, like others have said, just look at what he's done with Arian Foster over the past five years or so. That has been a really, really consistently good  and balanced offense for a while now.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=