4263 replies to this topic

#3901 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:08 PM

Talking about Nolan movies, I rewatched Insomnia yesterday. I think it may be his best movie outside of The Dark Knight. No late-Nolan BS like incomprehensible plots or muffled dialog with DEAFENING SOUND EFFECTS AND MUSIC. Great film.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3902 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

Of course I'm interested in the subject. And knowing how the real trial turned out.. we shall see.

BTW - The real Mildred Gillars

AxisSallyMugshot.jpg

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3903 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:02 PM

Interstellar is my favorite movie, but I recognize it has some flaws.

#3904 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:08 AM

The Prestige FTW

• Mackus, Mike in STL and Dupin like this

#3905 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

Prestige is so good.  On the second watch, when the little kid that gets shown the disappearing bird cries and says "but where's his brother?"...wow.  And it's got freaking David Bowie.

"Wolverine enlists the help of Gollum and David Bowie to outshine Batman in his quest to become the best and most famous Victorian-era magician".

• Mashed Potatoes and DuffMan like this

#3906 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:32 AM

Prestige is so good.  On the second watch, when the little kid that gets shown the disappearing bird cries and says "but where's his brother?"...wow.  And it's got freaking David Bowie.

"Wolverine enlists the help of Gollum and David Bowie to outshine Batman in his quest to become the best and most famous Victorian-era magician".

I need to watch The Prestige again. Saw it once shortly after it came out, and that was it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3907 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

Fantastic summary and you forgot to mention that Wolvie and Bats are fighting over Black Widow!

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#3908 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

I need to watch The Prestige again. Saw it once shortly after it came out, and that was it.

Obviously  the big twist can only get you once.  But it's great to go back and look for all the clues along the way.  The acting is top notch.

One of Nolan's lowest budget movies happens to also be one of his best, I would like to see him make another low cost movie and see what he can come up with.

#3909 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:18 AM

Came across this older movie recently, and if you like to be kept guessing and have lots of twists, then this one is one for you.

A wee bit of  female top skin, so not safe for viewing around the kiddies.

#3910 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:48 AM

Obviously  the big twist can only get you once.  But it's great to go back and look for all the clues along the way.  The acting is top notch.

One of Nolan's lowest budget movies happens to also be one of his best, I would like to see him make another low cost movie and see what he can come up with.

I remember there being a twist but I remember so little about the movie maybe it'll get me again. I also remember there being a similar magician movie made around the same time. Edward Norton was in it I believe...

#3911 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

I remember there being a twist but I remember so little about the movie maybe it'll get me again. I also remember there being a similar magician movie made around the same time. Edward Norton was in it I believe...

The Illusionist.  The Prestige is much better.

#3912 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

Knives Out cast keeps growing more powerful https://twitter.com/...904457239896067

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#3913 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:52 AM

This week's episode of "Mackus finally watches a 10-year old movie" is Inside Llewyn Davis.  I'm not sure if I've ever watched a movie before where during the viewing I was in awe of how amazing it is while also being certain that I'm not understanding what the point of it is.

Been a big fan of Oscar Isaac for a while now and he was phenomenal in this.

I wonder if the Coen brothers actually have to pitch or even reveal their movie ideas to the studio or if they just show up and tell them how much money they'll need.

#3914 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:09 AM

This week's episode of "Mackus finally watches a 10-year old movie" is Inside Llewyn Davis.  I'm not sure if I've ever watched a movie before where during the viewing I was in awe of how amazing it is while also being certain that I'm not understanding what the point of it is.

Been a big fan of Oscar Isaac for a while now and he was phenomenal in this.

I wonder if the Coen brothers actually have to pitch or even reveal their movie ideas to the studio or if they just show up and tell them how much money they'll need.

If you want a generic action movie that feels greatly improved by him and Pedro Pascal, I'd give Triple Frontier a try

#3915 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:16 PM

I watched my 4K UHD DVD of Saving Private Ryan last night. Incredible. It’s amazing how good movies can look, even older movies. It makes me drool for a 4K version of pretty much every classic movie out there.
  • DuffMan and Old Man like this

#3916 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:36 AM

I watched my 4K UHD DVD of Saving Private Ryan last night. Incredible. It’s amazing how good movies can look, even older movies. It makes me drool for a 4K version of pretty much every classic movie out there.

I think even old movies not redone, still look great on 4K.

I can be watching the same show and turn it on, in the bedroom, and while that Sony is still sweet, it doesnt pop like the 4k.

#3917 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

I have found a lot of classics hold up, as I try to expand my film knowledge.  A Streetcar Named Desire is not one of those classics, despite Brando's stage presence.  It has the melodrama I'd expect from a soap opera.

#3918 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

Been going back through the 80s and watching critically acclaimed movies lately. Ordinary People was really good, Terms of Endearment less so, but still good. 

St. Elmo’s Fire isn’t critically acclaimed but what a weird movie about massively unlikable people. The Outsiders...what a cast and director but it was also an odd movie with little substance. 

#3919 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

I quite enjoyed Train to Busan.  Best handling of the zombie format I've seen in a while, and they did a decent job giving some compelling emotional stakes to the characters.

• Mashed Potatoes and Mike in STL like this

#3920 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

Been going back through the 80s and watching critically acclaimed movies lately. Ordinary People was really good, Terms of Endearment less so, but still good.

St. Elmo’s Fire isn’t critically acclaimed but what a weird movie about massively unlikable people. The Outsiders...what a cast and director but it was also an odd movie with little substance.

The Outsiders was essentially a regurgitation of Hinton’s book, booked was overrated as was the movie. If it didn’t have the cast it did it wouldn’t be considered so highly. Never liked St Elmo’s, except for the song And really thought Ordinary People and Terms were poor too. Always thought Debra Winger’s best work was in An Officer and a Gentleman...which is still a great movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=