• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#141 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Camden Depot: Can Lough be a cheap version of McLouth?
http://camdendepot.b...version-of.html

#142 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

I've got no doubt that Lough will be at least a moderate upgrade defensively.  Perhaps significant upgrade, depending on just how great Lough's defense really is.

I think it's a 50/50 shot as to whether Lough can be equal to McLouth at the plate.  Not much upside of him being an improvement offensively, but a significant chance that he's a moderate downgrade and perhaps a significant one if Lough can't hit like he did in limited time last season.

I've got no doubt that Lough will be a significant downgrade from McLouth on the bases.

I think he certainly can be a cheap version of McLouth.  The big question is will the bat hold up.  If he can give us an OPS over 700, and perhaps as high as about 725, then he'll be every bit as good as Nate, plus it doesn't appear that he needs to be hidden against LHP like Nate does.  If the bat struggles, and he's down around 650 or so, then I think he'll be a step backwards.

All of those comparisons are compared to what Nate gave us in the last two years, not necessarily compared to what he would have given us had we matched or beaten the deal the Nats gave him.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#143 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

David Lough is a godless defense machine. Holy f'ing f.

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this
@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Lough's 12th inning single gave the O's the 2-1 win.  Got a banana cream pie to the face... said, "I won't eat that poison." lol...

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Re: Lough...  not that the defensive metrics mean anything this early, but the early numbers are again positive...

We know even when he's going great, he's not going to be a big bat... but I don't think we've seen him going well yet. He'll be what we thought he was I think... a guy with the ability to hit with some average... low on-base skills unless he takes more walks... no power... plus speed, with the ability to steal more bases than he did previously... and strong defense.

If his offense doesn't get to his level from last year, he'll stop starting with any regularity and be the late inning defensive replacement, pinch runner,  4th OF type.

I want to see him continue to play, get time... and see his bat get going.  If he produces offensively like he did last year, with his defense and speed.. he's a valuable player.

• PatrickDougherty likes this

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Overall numbers still horrible, but 3 hits last night. Also had some strong running on the base paths (not just his 2 steals... aggressively took 3rd on a fly out to LF).

#147 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Also a nice play on the warning track on the near HR by Bautista. May have misplayed it a bit to start, but nice recovery. Clearly his best game as an Oriole. Would be really nice if he could gain some momentum from this. If he could start hitting a bit at the bottom of the order, have Schoop play 2nd once Manny returns, all of a sudden there aren't really any genuinely weak spots in the order.

@AdamWolff

#148 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Also a nice play on the warning track on the near HR by Bautista. May have misplayed it a bit to start, but nice recovery. Clearly his best game as an Oriole. Would be really nice if he could gain some momentum from this. If he could start hitting a bit at the bottom of the order, have Schoop play 2nd once Manny returns, all of a sudden there aren't really any genuinely weak spots in the order.

I was thinking at the time, he got really bailed out there by Hardy, but nonetheless he got it to the cutoff guy in time.

@levineps

#149 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

http://m.mlb.com/vid...ng-grab-in-left

#150 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

Lough 3 for 5 today, finishes August 4 for 16. 

In July and August combined, 8 for 26.

#151 Baby Birdland

Baby Birdland
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

The search for another left handed hitting outfielder continues for the Baltimore Orioles, but is there an argument that David Lough should see more playing time in 2015?

Most Orioles fans remember Lough's 2014 season because of how it began, but when you look at what he did over the last four months of the season, there are some encouraging signs there.

Click here for article.

#152 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think he was lousy at first because of some combination of (a) having his brain rattled, producing hard-to-pin-down concussion symptoms, and (b ) the O's trying to change the kind of hitter he is by telling him to hit down on the ball to create GB's.  Later, when he was better, I think he had both of those things behind him... although, to be honest, I really don't know if they quit trying to change his swing vs. he finally saw some success from working at changing his swing...

Regardless, I think lotsa folks are way too quick to decide he's nothing but a 4th OF'er and late-inning D replacement... hell, he hasn't even had 600 ML PA's yet...now, there's no way to know what he will do if given the chance to play more, but I think the combination of his nominal skill set and the encouraging signs from what he did in his rookie year and after the 1st 2 months of last season warrants giving him a good shot at it...  

He and Tommy Hunter are my 2 candidates for "pleasant surprise of the year"...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#153 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

MASN: After strong second half, will Lough earn bigger role in 2015?

http://www.masnsport...le-in-2015.html

#154 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

MASN: After strong second half, will Lough earn bigger role in 2015?

http://www.masnsport...le-in-2015.html

He undersold Lough's bounceback by slicing the season at the ASB.  The meaningful place to split it is first 2 mos vs. last 4 mos.  Gives you 2 equal samples, with a performance difference of night and day.  

If it was me, I'd start him a lot vs. RHP and move Pearce to DH when Lough starts.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#155 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

MASN: Lough update

http://www.masnsport...sox-lineup.html

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

David Lough (hamstring) is scheduled to play his first rehab game at High-A Frederick on Sunday.
He'll probably play there again on Monday and could then join the Orioles' active roster. Lough suffered a left hamstring strain at the end of spring training. He'll be a reserve outfielder for Baltimore this year, often entering games as a late defensive sub.

Apr. 11 - 4:32 pm et
Source: Dan Connolly on Twitter

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Activated, Gamboa the move.

#158 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

Lough with the game winner last night.

It's been tough to see where PT was going to come for him, but that was good to see.

Snider's on-base % is helping keep him in the lineup even with the current defensive concerns.... but if that falls  (and the defense doesn't improve)... or if De Aza doesn't warm up (couple of good ab's for him last night)... who knows, maybe Lough could find some more ab's.

If he takes advantage of the ab's he does get, to go along with his defense... who knows, maybe he winds up playing more that we expected.

#159 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Lough with the game winner last night.

It's been tough to see where PT was going to come for him, but that was good to see.

Snider's on-base % is helping keep him in the lineup even with the current defensive concerns.... but if that falls  (and the defense doesn't improve)... or if De Aza doesn't warm up (couple of good ab's for him last night)... who knows, maybe Lough could find some more ab's.

If he takes advantage of the ab's he does get, to go along with his defense... who knows, maybe he winds up playing more that we expected.

That's what I'm hoping for...

Well, actually I'm hoping for the Lough-playing-more part, not the Snider and De Aza being lousy part...

#160 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

I recently watched Lough go get a ball in the gap and turn it into an out, despite the fact that God intended it to be a double...  nobody else we might have in LF would have gotten to it... yet afterwards, Lough was shaking his head, which I interpreted as him being not happy about his jump or his route... so, he made an important play that nobody else could have, but he's upset with himself for not doing it better...

What are the calculations about hits prevented?   For a double prevented and turned into an out, is that worth the same as hitting a double?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=