#1 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Per Royals Twitter feed...

#Royals acquire INF Danny Valencia from Baltimore in exchange for OF David Lough.

• BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this
@brobey1

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Scrambling to figure out who the hell this guy is...

#3 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Not eligible for arbitration until 2016...under team control through 2019...okay speed...724 ops in 335 PAs last year (95 games).

Big thing is can play all three OF positions and seems like a natural Center Fielder, which is nice to finally have a true back up for Jones.

• BSLChrisStoner and fishteacher like this
@brobey1

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Wow!  The metrics LOVE his defense in the OF.  And he hit pretty well last year.

#5 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Wow!  The metrics LOVE his defense in the OF.  And he hit pretty well last year.

Yeah a 2.7 WAR player last year in only 95 games, which seems like it was that high based on his defense. An option to start in LF?

@brobey1

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'll miss Valencia's bat against LHP, but at first glance I like the move.  A versatile 4th OF with excellent defense is more valuable than the short-half of a DH platoon.  If he can have a 700 OPS, he's got a shot at being there everyday.  Not a ton of sample, but even splits against lefties and righties.

#7 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

I can't believe we got a guy with a heartbeat for the short half of a DH platoon.  Much less one that actually played like an above-average regular.

• SBTarheel and fishteacher like this

#8 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think I actually like this move.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

26 XBH in 335 PA...But only has a 3% walk rate, although he hits for a decent average.(and did so in the minors)

Can steal a base.

Excellent defense.

He also was solid vs lefty pitching as well.

This trade is a win for us.  Valencia is a good hitter vs lefties but so is Pearce....I think its good that they traded out of that trio.

I still would go after Smoak for one of the relievers but this is an excellent trade IMO.

http://www.fangraphs...215&position=OF

• JeffLong likes this

#10 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Looks like a nice get

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

It almost feels like DD lucked into a good acquisition but I'll take it. Love the defense and cost control.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Not eligible for arbitration until 2016...under team control through 2019...okay speed...724 ops in 335 PAs last year (95 games).

Big thing is can play all three OF positions and seems like a natural Center Fielder, which is nice to finally have a true back up for Jones.

When the O's moved Avery for Morse, some argued that finding a backup OF with the ability to play CF would be difficult. This shows what many others argued - that a replacement for Avery is easily obtainable. Peguero also has MiL experience in CF.

Little surprised that Valencia was moved...   but I had mentioned this as a possibility the other day. Now the O's could potentially keep each of Urrutia, Reimold, and Pearce on the active roster - rotating the 3 of them between DH and LF.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Still doesn't help the OBP issue at all....that's the issue.

But you have to like everything else, although you wish he was younger than 28(which he will be in Jan).

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

When the O's moved Avery for Morse, some argued that finding a backup OF with the ability to play CF would be difficult. This shows what many others argued - that a replacement for Avery is easily obtainable. Peguero also has MiL experience in CF.

Little surprised that Valencia was moved...   but I had mentioned this as a possibility the other day. Now the O's could potentially keep each of Urrutia, Reimold, and Pearce on the active roster - rotating the 3 of them between DH and LF.

Send Urritia down, get Smoak and let Reimold and Pearce stay on the roster.

They aren't going to get Ethier, so Lough should start in LF everyday as long as he continues to hit lefties at a respectable level.  He could easily be every bit the "WAR player" Nate was.

And yes, as we told Jon, finding a guy that can play CF isn't that difficult.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard 1m

Duquette said Valencia had same skill set as Rule 5 pick Almanzar (1B and 3B) and #Orioles want to get a good look at hi

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Camden Depot ‏@CamdenDepot 6m

Lough has no options remaining.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Neil Weinberg ‏@NeilWeinberg44 22m

Love this for BAL. RT @ChrisCotillo: According to @masnRoch, #Orioles acquire David Lough from #Royals for Danny Valencia

#18 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

I can't believe we got a guy with a heartbeat for the short half of a DH platoon.  Much less one that actually played like an above-average regular.

Yeah, might very well give us similar production to Mclouth. I'd guess this also opens up an opportunity for our rule 5 guy to make the team. 

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'll allow it.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Completely got max value for Valencia here. Lough is obviously going to make the 25 man roster. Hopefully, as 4th Of but I agree with Rob that he could match Nate's value if given the same role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=