• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

I've learned a lot about people over the past few weeks. Next time I think I know the truth about a situation that I'm looking at from the outside, I'm going to stop and realize that I really don't know anything.

Very, very embarrassing how much of the general public has reacted, including people in this thread. Using his wife to evoke sympathy? Come on. Have you ever met Nestor? 

EDIT: Apologies... It is hard  for me to talk rationally about Nestor.  But beyond the emotion and my distaste.... there are things I respect. What he accomplished. Some of the things he's done professionally, and some of the charity.

However, the distaste that I have is not unique. At some point, when numerous people have the same interactions with the same person... it's not everyone else.

He's your employer.. you have a good relationship...  that's fine.

#162 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

http://www.pressboxo...ns-1057-the-fan

When they change the channel, they are going to get to hear Jason La Canfora, an actual NFL insider talk about the home team. Not reruns of opinion based radio.

This might be the minority opinion, but I don't like this move for The Fan.  Or at least bringing La Canfora in for 3 days a week.  The Orioles are in the middle of a push for the pennant and they bring in a football guy for 3 days a week, I don't like it.  They talk enough football as it is.  I would have him on one day a week (Wednesday) until the end of October and then bring him in 3 days a week.  I'd also like to mention that I think Scott & Jeremy have a pretty good schtick going lately and I don't want to see that disrupted.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#163 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

http://www.pressboxo...ns-1057-the-fan

This might be the minority opinion, but I don't like this move for The Fan.  Or at least bringing La Canfora in for 3 days a week.  The Orioles are in the middle of a push for the pennant and they bring in a football guy for 3 days a week, I don't like it.  They talk enough football as it is.  I would have him on one day a week (Wednesday) until the end of October and then bring him in 3 days a week.  I'd also like to mention that I think Scott & Jeremy have a pretty good schtick going lately and I don't want to see that disrupted.

I just started re-listening to 1057 on my commute so I've actually had a good dose of Scott, Jeremy and "the Highlandtown kid." They seem to have already developed a good repertoire with La Confora. I agree 3 days is too much but Jason is a Baltimore guy...graduated from Loyola Blakefield, big O's fan, so they are still focusing on the Baseball Birds.

• Mike in STL likes this

#164 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

EDIT: Apologies... It is hard  for me to talk rationally about Nestor.  But beyond the emotion and my distaste.... there are things I respect. What he accomplished. Some of the things he's done professionally, and some of the charity.

However, the distaste that I have is not unique. At some point, when numerous people have the same interactions with the same person... it's not everyone else.

He's your employer.. you have a good relationship...  that's fine.

Wasn't really referring to you Chris. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about him and his opinions work, WNST's reach, etc. I have mine about other outlets as well, some good, some bad.

But that doesn't warrant the personal stuff that, in all honestly, literally no one on here knows an inkling about unless you've had legitimate interaction with the guy.

If I wrote a daily blog about my life and my passion, and my wife had a brush with death, you beat your ass I'd be writing about her all the time and relating it to my work, mission, etc. That's not using her to evoke sympathy...it's being real. It's freaked him out, as I'm sure it would freak anyone out (including many people on here who either have had cancer, or been directly affected by it...it affects nearly 1 in 2 people throughout one's life). I don't think it's a stretch to say that sitting in a cancer ward for 6 months would change your perspective on life, purpose, etc.

Think what you want about reach, audience, Angelos, whatever...people sitting on their butts on a message board in their basement saying that he's using his wife's cancer to evoke sympathy is way out of line and uncalled for. That's me saying that as a human, not as a WNST employee.

WNST has raised 20K in 5 months for leukemia research and we've added over 1000 people to the bone marrow transplant list. The charity that we're working with, There Goes My Hero, isn't very big at all. They've swabbed about 10K people over the past couple years (the founder was diagnosed in '09 and fought for 2 years) and because of they're work, they have afforded 7 people the opportunity to receive a bone marrow transplant to save their respective lives. 7 lives.

That's not something to evoke sympathy...that's adopting a cause and trying to make a change. The same way if I had the platform and I had a wife (HAH!) that was diagnosed with ALS, that I'd probably adopt that as my mission as well. 

Again...everyone is entitled to their opinion about the content/opinion side. Some people hate Skip Bayless. Some people love him. Same for Howard Stern or Larry King or any polarizing figure. But the personal side? Come on. Have some integrity and respect. 

@PeterDiLutis

#165 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

He fired several long-term employees without any kind of notice.  If Peter Angelos did that we'd ALL hear about how EVIL he is.

Then, when he writes his 25,000 word essay about why he did it, he mentions his sick wife more than several times.

"Hi, I'm doing something unpopular, did I mention my wife is sick?"

What a load of crap.  I stand by what I said.  His wife's illness was brought up solely to deflect criticism.

I think Nestor is doing a great thing raising awareness and all that stuff, and he's been noble standing by his wife's side, but in this instance he's using her illness to evoke sympathy, plain and simple.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#166 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Here's the other part of it. He's a business owner. He can do whatever he wants. Just like Rob can do whatever the hell he wants to do at Diamond Wholesalers. He owns the business. If he does something that one of his past customers doesn't like, then they're welcome to go to Radcliffe or Smyth to buy their next piece of jewelry. 

People that constantly listen everyday just to complain really boggle my mind. If I turn on 100.7 The Bay and I hear Satisfaction, I keep it on. If I turn it on and I hear Taylor Swift, I turn it off. Bottom line. And I'll check back later in my drive or next time I'm in the car to see if I like what they're playing then. I don't turn it on and then go to the general manager's page and bitch that he's not playing a song that I like. People are obsessed with criticism and tearing people down. 

If I open up a restaurant and you don't like the food, go down the street. It's that simple. And if you don't like the food, you're not gonna go in 5x a week, order a cheeseburger, and then complain that it isn't any good.

@PeterDiLutis

#167 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Here's the other part of it. He's a business owner. He can do whatever he wants. Just like Rob can do whatever the hell he wants to do at Diamond Wholesalers. He owns the business. If he does something that one of his past customers doesn't like, then they're welcome to go to Radcliffe or Smyth to buy their next piece of jewelry. 

People that constantly listen everyday just to complain really boggle my mind. If I turn on 100.7 The Bay and I hear Satisfaction, I keep it on. If I turn it on and I hear Taylor Swift, I turn it off. Bottom line. And I'll check back later in my drive or next time I'm in the car to see if I like what they're playing then. I don't turn it on and then go to the general manager's page and bitch that he's not playing a song that I like. People are obsessed with criticism and tearing people down. 

If I open up a restaurant and you don't like the food, go down the street. It's that simple. And if you don't like the food, you're not gonna go in 5x a week, order a cheeseburger, and then complain that it isn't any good.

The irony of these statements as they relate to your boss is exceptionally delicious.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#168 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

He fired several long-term employees without any kind of notice.  If Peter Angelos did that we'd ALL hear about how EVIL he is.

Then, when he writes his 25,000 word essay about why he did it, he mentions his sick wife more than several times.

"Hi, I'm doing something unpopular, did I mention my wife is sick?"

What a load of crap.  I stand by what I said.  His wife's illness was brought up solely to deflect criticism.

I think Nestor is doing a great thing raising awareness and all that stuff, and he's been noble standing by his wife's side, but in this instance he's using her illness to evoke sympathy, plain and simple.

Okay...I don't even know how to respond to something like that. Like you already have your mind made up, so there's nothing I can say I guess. You're entitled to believe what you wanna believe I guess. He's been married to his wife for 11 years. She owns the company too. She is present at every event that we've done over the past 11 years. She's the one that runs all the road trips. 

My grandmom, who raised me everyday from the time I was born until I was old enough to stay home by myself, died of cancer in 2009. There's no 8 page essay about my life that would ever, ever, ever not include her and that I experienced in those 3 months. Ever. She'll be a part of my life forever and I'll never forget how utterly horrific those 3 months were from the time she got sick until she passed away. 

You guys are thinking that he's writing a blog with an ulterior motive. He's not. He's writing about his life, and Jenn's a huge part of it. I've never seen anyone who loves their wife more than he loves her. They are inseparable.

I've probably said too much at this point but I'll leave it at that. Again, feel free to take your shots at our content. Frankly, I don't like some of the content on BSL even though I don't publicly flog Chris or the authors on a daily basis and attack their integrity. But the personal side? Uncalled for and you're being extremely, extremely ignorant, naive, and insensitive.

I've said my peace and any reasonable adult should be able to comprehend what I've said. 

@PeterDiLutis

#169 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Seems like just about everybody has done just that.

@DJ_McCann

#170 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Seems like just about everybody has done just that.

Yeah, yet everyone hears what's going on somehow. Someone complained on his FB that we keep running the same thing over and over. Yet he keeps tuning in to her that same thing over and over. Funny how that works. 

Here's what people aren't getting. He's not writing blogs begging people to stay. He's not writing blogs trying to justify something that he did. He's writing blogs telling you why he did what he did, and what the future is going to hold. If you disagree or don't like it, that's fine. 

I don't get where the vitriol comes from. He doesn't beg people to follow him on FB. He doesn't beg people to follow him on Twitter. He doesn't beg people to listen to WNST. WNST is his biz...he does what he wants and what he enjoys. If someone doesn't like it, move on. He's collected people over the years because people like something about the product. 

I don't get on the front page of BSL, read a piece from Jeff Long, and then leave a comment on his FB telling him what a piece of trash he is. If I like what I'm reading, I continue reading. If I don't like it, I'll click over to ESPN or WNST or wherever.

Anyone who doesn't want to listen to WNST can tune into another radio station or can click onto another website. End of story. But why be obsessed with what he does on a daily basis? He's not obsessed with what you do. 

@PeterDiLutis

#171 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

How can you possibly not get where the vitriol comes from?

#172 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

How can you possibly not get where the vitriol comes from?

Then don't listen! Why listen or tune into something that brings out such hate?

That is something that I will never, ever understand. Every time the man posts a FB status, 25 people comment positively, 25 people negatively. Sometime it's 50/50, sometimes 80/20 one way, sometimes the other.

What I don't understand is, if you hate him and/or the content so much, stay away. Don't follow him on FB or Twitter, take it off of your radio dial, and don't visit the website.

If you and I were friends on FB, and I shit on every single thing that you posted...wouldn't you tell me to get a life and stop being "friends" with someone who I despise? 

We do our best to create awesome content that you'll love. We want to appeal to intelligent sports fans, frankly, like the ones on here. If you tune in the radio and you hear good content, we hope you'll stay. If you don't, that doesn't make us happy but we're not going to beg or force you to listen. 

@PeterDiLutis

#173 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

Then don't listen! Why listen or tune into something that brings out such hate?

That is something that I will never, ever understand. Every time the man posts a FB status, 25 people comment positively, 25 people negatively. Sometime it's 50/50, sometimes 80/20 one way, sometimes the other.

What I don't understand is, if you hate him and/or the content so much, stay away. Don't follow him on FB or Twitter, take it off of your radio dial, and don't visit the website.

If you and I were friends on FB, and I shit on every single thing that you posted...wouldn't you tell me to get a life and stop being "friends" with someone who I despise? 

We do our best to create awesome content that you'll love. We want to appeal to intelligent sports fans, frankly, like the ones on here. If you tune in the radio and you hear good content, we hope you'll stay. If you don't, that doesn't make us happy but we're not going to beg or force you to listen. 

And I personally agree with that, which is why you never see me on those fronts making any fuss. However, the difference in you and I having a spat on FB, and folks and Nestor is that he's a public figure. It comes with the territory.

#174 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

You do realize that one person pointing out something they saw and 25 people commenting on it doesn't mean that 26 people are looking at or listening to it, right?

Then again, that sounds like the entire business model that outlet has built.

@DJ_McCann

#175 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

And I personally agree with that, which is why you never see me on those fronts making any fuss. However, the difference in you and I having a spat on FB, and folks and Nestor is that he's a public figure. It comes with the territory.

Oh no doubt. Public figures need thick skin. Totally agree with that. I'm not saying he should be playing the victim or that we should feel bad for him. I'm more talking about the people that do the complaining and bitching.

Why are they still engaged? If you hate someone, why engage them?

Mick Jagger is a public figure. If he goes out and plays a shitty concert, he's going to get shit on from all angles publicly. That's part of his gig and what he signed up for. But when that concert-goer continues to go to the next 10 Rolling Stones concerts and then talks about how awful they are on the way out...that's when I, frankly, start to question that person's sanity.

@PeterDiLutis

#176 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

You do realize that one person pointing out something they saw and 25 people commenting on it doesn't mean that 26 people are looking at or listening to it, right?

Then again, that sounds like the entire business model that outlet has built.

What? 

@PeterDiLutis

#177 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

It's almost like those friends you know that are still with their girl even though they complain about them every night they get home. Dude...if you're so miserable, go away. 

@PeterDiLutis

#178 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Oh no doubt. Public figures need thick skin. Totally agree with that. I'm not saying he should be playing the victim or that we should feel bad for him. I'm more talking about the people that do the complaining and bitching.

Mick Jagger is a public figure. If he goes out and plays a shitty concert, he's going to get shit on from all angles publicly. That's part of his gig and what he signed up for. But when that concert-goer continues to go to the next 10 Rolling Stones concerts and then talks about how awful they are on the way out...that's when I, frankly, start to question that person's sanity.

It's a fair analogy - I get where you're coming from. Again, the devil's in the details... and I just think that Nestor's religious trolling and hypocrisy about the O's, even in the face of the current run of success, breeds a lot of this.

#179 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

The utter lack of self-awareness here is amazing.

If you have such an issue with people here on this issue, why engage us? You aren't helping anyone by coming in and, on the one hand, trying to make a legitimate point (Nestor's wife), while on the other making sweeping generalizations about both your customers and others simply commenting on what they see.

Just in my case, all it does is make me see that I don't have to go back and try listening again, because nothing at WNST has changed. I think you'll find more than a few who feel that way, and when you are talking about the minuscule numbers that outlet receives pushing away anyone is a bad idea.

All we see here, the stuff about his wife aside, is a media outlet in its death throes, lashing out at anyone and anything it views as responsible without taking any blame on its own. You are simply adding to that image.

@DJ_McCann

#180 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

It's a fair analogy

No it's not. It's like someone hearing secondhand that something weird happened at a concert, and going around to talk about it and how it fit with their past experience. Then a roadie overhears the conversation in a bar and starts talking shit.

Not everyone who reports on things has to be a hater. Not everyone who comments has to be paying attention. And bringing attention to what is going on by officially acknowledging and attacking negative comments is bad business.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=