#2461 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:01 PM

Anybody watching La Brea.

Cant say, its like the run-of-the-mill other tv shows.

#2462 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:01 PM

http://www.baltimore...tv-talk/page-85

Apparently the Wheel of Time is being adapted into a TV series.  I read all of these books, and enjoyed them for the most part, so I'll be following this a bit.   There's definitely the potential there for another great series.

So this comes out in a couple weeks.  Here's the trailer:

Anyone interested?  I really hope its good.  A couple other trailers out there, certainly looks like they sunk a ton of money into it.  Excited to watch in 4K on my big screen!

• Mark Carver likes this

#2463 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,629 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:11 PM

Another book series worth reading? I can add it to my queue behind Dune, Mistborn, and King Killer.

#2464 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:18 PM

It's worth it, but it's a huge commitment.  14 books and they are all pretty long.  I wouldn't call it a must-read.  But it is good and one of the trailblazers for modern fantasy novels.  I think lots of what came after is better (including Ice & Fire and Stormlight Archive), but this was first and a major influence.  Robert Jordan definitely takes to heart Tolkien's "first rule is you must have a map" edict. Huge world and they explore almost all of it.

I like it better than Kingkiller Chronicles.  Haven't read Dune and only now reading the first Mistborn.  Sanderson (Stormlight, Mistborn, many others) wrote the last few books in the series after the original author died.  

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#2465 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:28 PM

One thing I really like is that part of the magic of the series tries to explain why so many interesting things keep happening to the same few key characters.  It's like the author was always personally annoyed with how unbelievable it is in all literature that all the interesting and amazing things keep occurring to the same characters that the book happens to be about, so he made up a rationale for it.  Plot armor is a fundamental part of the series.

• BobPhelan likes this

#2466 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

It's worth it, but it's a huge commitment.  14 books and they are all pretty long.  I wouldn't call it a must-read.  But it is good and one of the trailblazers for modern fantasy novels.  I think lots of what came after is better (including Ice & Fire and Stormlight Archive), but this was first and a major influence.  Robert Jordan definitely takes to heart Tolkien's "first rule is you must have a map" edict. Huge world and they explore almost all of it.

I like it better than Kingkiller Chronicles.  Haven't read Dune and only now reading the first Mistborn.  Sanderson (Stormlight, Mistborn, many others) wrote the last few books in the series after the original author died.  

This is pretty spot on.   I remember starting this series as something to tide me over while waiting on Winds.  It took me about a year to get through and for the most part I was happy with it(I don't plan on rereading it though). I definitely agree with the sentiment that some of the middle books can be a bit slower, but it rebounds nicely in the last several books.  I also thought Sanderson did a nice job of finishing it up, personally I couldn't tell much difference in Jordan's style to Brandons and I think that's a huge testament to Brandon's ability as a writer. 

I believe the show, if everything goes as planned is only set to run for 5 or 6 seasons.  Obviously this means much will be cut from the show, but I think this can help keep the story streamlined and easier to follow.

Just took a quick peak at the wiki and it reminded me of some great moments and characters from the series.  The Forsaken are a great set of villains and any chapters involving them were always some of my favorite.

• BobPhelan likes this

#2467 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,629 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:54 AM

I’ll probably watch the first season of the show and decide what I want to do from there.

#2468 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

Season 2 of Wu Tang: An American Saga is sooooo good.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2469 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:01 PM

December 29th on Disney+

I'm still ticked off it was Luke that saved the day at the end of Mandalorian, S2.  

#2470 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

Currently on Book 4, so I'll be watching.  I think Rosamund is going to be a fantastic Moiraine.  The audiobooks are well narrated.

Highly recommend the first two Mistborn books.  3 is very meh.

• BobPhelan likes this

#2471 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:09 PM

Netflix's Cowboy Bebop isn't that bad, actually.  It's a cover band, but a decent one.  Really like the guy they got to play Jet.

Still better off watching the original anime instead.

#2472 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 05:41 PM

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2473 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

Disney+ November 25th

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2474 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:25 PM

Recently rewatched the first 3 episodes. #1 was as terrible as I remembered. #2 held up better than anticipated, outside of Annakin/Padme love scenes which were painful, and #3 was legitimately good except for how quick and extreme Skywalker's transformation into heartless Vader was.

Looking forward to this

@DaKittenz

#2475 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

Currently on Book 4, so I'll be watching.  I think Rosamund is going to be a fantastic Moiraine.  The audiobooks are well narrated.

I've enjoyed the first 3 episodes.  First two were more action-heavy, third slowed down.  Been a few years and many more books since I've read the first book, but they've already gone through or on the way to doing much of what I remember as the main plot of Book 1.

Production value is pretty high.  The creeping darkness in Shadar Logoth was pretty bad but the city itself looked great.  The trollocs and the Myrdraal also look great (I imagine the show sticks with only calling them "Fades").  I think it was a good decision to make the trollocs more similar-looking rather than have a large variety.  If the show is a hit, I imagine that it'll only start looking better and better in future seasons.

Casting seems pretty good.  I'll complain that Lan isn't as big and hulking and intimidating as he should be.  The guy that played The Hound in GoT would've been perfect (though maybe too old now).  Rosamund Pike is great as Moraine.  Thom should be older and a better singer.  Egwene and Nynaeve are good.  Mat was my favorite character from the books and so far is clearly the best written and acted of the main characters with the most personality.  Can't decide if Rand is just badly written or if the actor is bad, but he sticks out in a negative way.  Perrin is surlier than he should be, but they've given him this tragic start so he can't be jolly.

Excited to watch the rest of the season.

• DuffMan likes this

#2476 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

Is there an extra charge to watch WoT? I pull up Amazon on the TV and log in with my prime membership, but when I attempt to play an episode it asks about signing up for something else.

#2477 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,629 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:07 PM

Is there an extra charge to watch WoT? I pull up Amazon on the TV and log in with my prime membership, but when I attempt to play an episode it asks about signing up for something else.

No I watched the first episode last night with no issues from the Amazon Prime app. That is odd.

#2478 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:39 PM

Finally got around to Squid Game.  That was an excellent show, and I was not expecting how it ended.

Netflix's Cowboy Bebop is alright.  It's like a decent tribute band.  Yeah, the original is better, but they're having some fun.  The dude playing Jet Black is excellent, I didn't even recognize him as Bushmaster from Luke Cage.

#2479 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:42 AM

4th episode of Wheel of Time was the best one yet.

#2480 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,087 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:47 AM

Read an article that Amazon said the debut episodes of Wheel of Time was one of their best ever.  Which is good news both for getting more and for seeing more fantasy series get big investments.  

Seems like right about now would be a good time to start developing a Stormlight series!  And since Sanderson is a producer on Wheel of Time, he's gotta be at least talking about it with the Amazon people.  Get it locked in before Lord of the Rings comes out, don't wanna have a series with no source material be predictably aimless and then people get scared off of fantasy in general.

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=