794 replies to this topic

#781 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:55 AM

I agree that both are probably non-tendered, unless something drastic changes. 10M+ for each next year doesn't seem likely. So getting something instead of nothing is appealing. 

So the real question is, on a team with real WS aspirations, is losing whatever they give you in 2024 worth whatever you get in a trade? Depends on what they give you in a trade I guess. What market is there for "guys with a track record as major leaguers who suddenly look terrible as they get to 29-30 years old." I am with Mackus that I think these guys are still potentially pretty useful to this team, so I need a good bit more than "better than getting nothing later."

I'm curious to know what "something of a drug deal" with Fabian means but maybe I'll regret asking I don't know. 

#782 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 May 2024 - 03:29 PM

I'm curious to know what "something of a drug deal" with Fabian means but maybe I'll regret asking I don't know. 

Not sure it's a big deal. I think we understood the O's had interest in 2021.  Very early in the (too-early) mocks many people had him as a top 10-15 prospect (2021).  Boston wound up taking him at #40 (slot 1.85M) and didn't sign him.  I don't think we know why he didn't sign, but he goes back to the Gators for his senior year.  

He enters the 2022 draft with no leverage.  If he put out he'd sign for a million (or slot where ever), I have to believe he's going earlier than #67 to the Orioles....so my guess is he's using a larger price tag (that someone has agreed to, ie "drug deal") and it's scaring everyone else away.  My assumption is that's the Orioles, because they drafted him. 

We see a similar thing with Brock Porter in that draft to the Rangers.  

For whatever reasons, it seems like Fabian wanted to get to Baltimore.  Great.  My point is that when players make some kind of interest/concession to work with you, you want to create opportunity where/when you can.  That's all I'm suggesting here.

• makoman likes this

#783 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:39 PM

I have no idea who those players are, but I'm not dumping Hays and Mullins right now. We only have one young guy who can play LF or CF (Cowser).

Two A ball pitchers, 19 and 20 yo. Baseball America rates Baumann #20 and Keller is un ranked. I don’t get the part of Duvall (3M) going in the deal and Hays going back. Why wouldn’t the Braves just keep Duvall? Also, Mullins is probably not playing CF for the Braves.

#784 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:48 PM

Two A ball pitchers, 19 and 20 yo. Baseball America rates Baumann #20 and Keller is un ranked. I don’t get the part of Duvall (3M) going in the deal and Hays going back. Why wouldn’t the Braves just keep Duvall? Also, Mullins is probably not playing CF for the Braves.

Sounds like it wasnt very well thought out by the OP. Shocking, I know.

For me, Im not "dumping" Ced. He might end up being a non tender next year but he's our best CF defensively. He brings baserunning value. He has pop from the left side. Too much value. I could be talked into dumping Hays. I still think hes solid insurance but you could rather easily upgrade him at the deadline. Someone like Tommy Pham will be traded before the deadline so if you did that youd be dumping Hays anyway.

#785 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like it wasnt very well thought out by the OP. Shocking, I know.
For me, Im not "dumping" Ced. He might end up being a non tender next year but he's our best CF defensively. He brings baserunning value. He has pop from the left side. Too much value. I could be talked into dumping Hays. I still think hes solid insurance but you could rather easily upgrade him at the deadline. Someone like Tommy Pham will be traded before the deadline so if you did that youd be dumping Hays anyway.

Haha. I’m sure Dude put some time into it. No way he knew those two pitchers off the top of his head. Elias loves depth. No way they’re giving up on either yet, but especially Cedric, because we’re thin in CF. What if Cowser gets hurt? Now, going into next season it’s likely that Hays is non-tendered or traded. Cedric? Let’s see how he finishes.

Pham sounds like something the Braves would do.

#786 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 May 2024 - 10:01 PM

I don't get the impression you guys actually wanted to discuss previous.

Pham sounds like something the Braves would do.

They're going to do something.  There's probably a dozen places they can go for different opportunity.

It's a little comical to me how the notion of them being part of a future gets mocked, now they aren't part of even their ARB3 season and 48 hours ago many didn't want them on the team because of their performance struggles, but when an opportunity pops up to (maybe) do something, somehow leaving these guys in minor roles on the bench (where they aren't happy) is somehow critical.  Cool. 

#787 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 10:11 PM

I don't get the impression you guys actually wanted to discuss previous.

They're going to do something.  There's probably a dozen places they can go for different opportunity.

It's a little comical to me how the notion of them being part of a future gets mocked, now they aren't part of even their ARB3 season and 48 hours ago many didn't want them on the team because of their performance struggles, but when an opportunity pops up to (maybe) do something, somehow leaving these guys in minor roles on the bench (where they aren't happy) is somehow critical.  Cool. 

I can only speak for myself. Hays and Mullins weren’t part of the future beyond 2025 coming into this season. Talks of extending them didn’t make any sense to me. That’s a lot different than getting rid of them mid season in 2024. Maybe you can find and address the posters you’re talking about if they actually exist.

Mullins is still getting a fair amount of playing time in order to get his bat going. Are you close friends with Cedric? I’d like to know if he’s unhappy about his playing time or just the fact that he forgot how to hit for a month.

As for Hays, you told me what a great leader he was so I’m sure he won’t let his unhappiness affect his play or the team.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#788 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:16 PM

My lord do we jump to conclusions and mistate things. No one can say Mullins isn't in their '25 plans. He could easily still be their '25 CF. Nor is he in a minor role on the bench. THis flat out nonsense is beyond infuriating.  

#789 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:27 AM

My lord do we jump to conclusions and mistate things. No one can say Mullins isn't in their '25 plans. He could easily still be their '25 CF. Nor is he in a minor role on the bench. THis flat out nonsense is beyond infuriating.  

He has a .605 OPS in his last 365 days, 406 PAs. Some of that is last year's injury, but this year is close to half of those PAs and is even worse. We aren't at a SSS. If he goes back to averageish MLB hitter then sure he could easily be the starting CF next year. But if he continues what he's been doing for the rest of the year are they going to tender him and pay him over 10M to hope he finds the fountain of youth? I don't think it's flat out nonsense at all.

If you're saying it would be crazy to DFA or trade him for scraps before July, I agree that's not happening.

#790 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:49 AM

He has a .605 OPS in his last 365 days, 406 PAs. Some of that is last year's injury, but this year is close to half of those PAs and is even worse. We aren't at a SSS. If he goes back to averageish MLB hitter then sure he could easily be the starting CF next year. But if he continues what he's been doing for the rest of the year are they going to tender him and pay him over 10M to hope he finds the fountain of youth? I don't think it's flat out nonsense at all.

If you're saying it would be crazy to DFA or trade him for scraps before July, I agree that's not happening.

Hes not a minor bench player. They also havent come close to deciding if he is a non tender in '25. It wouldnt take some huge upswing by him to get tendered. If he can get to a 90 OPS+ and is still playing a great CF with baserunning value he is an easy tender.

#791 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 09 June 2024 - 08:46 AM

#792 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 12:21 PM

CBS Sports: The Braves are scuffling, but Atlanta shouldn't panic with 99 games remaining

https://www.cbssport...ames-remaining/

#793 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 08:10 AM

#794 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 09:04 AM

CBS Sports: Braves hold players meeting as wild-card race tightens: Three reasons why losing streak may have team worried

https://www.cbssport...e-team-worried/

#795 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 05:35 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=