109 replies to this topic

#41 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

Every few years there's a skyride type of transit proposal that pops up in the city.

I'm all for finding cheaper alternatives and being on the cutting edge of new transit technology, but I also don't want to see the city mired in a boondoggle just to be cool and different. Heavy rail and light rail, as well as BRT, is what other cities use and have used for over a hundred years, so I'm still hoping we can get something like that here, on a scale that works.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#42 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

Every few years there's a skyride type of transit proposal that pops up in the city.

I'm all for finding cheaper alternatives and being on the cutting edge of new transit technology, but I also don't want to see the city mired in a boondoggle just to be cool and different. Heavy rail and light rail, as well as BRT, is what other cities use and have used for over a hundred years, so I'm still hoping we can get something like that here, on a scale that works.

Yeah, cool technology is great, but I want something that works and isn't prohibitively expensive. IIRC Maglev tickets would be $100+, which means I'm not taking it to go to DC or NYC for a weekend. I can drive and park for so much less than that. I'd rather bite the bullet and dig out a bunch of well-planned and inter-connected metro lines in the city for main arteries and then do some cable car style-system for secondary routes.

Plus real bike lanes.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, cool technology is great, but I want something that works and isn't prohibitively expensive. IIRC Maglev tickets would be $100+, which means I'm not taking it to go to DC or NYC for a weekend. I can drive and park for so much less than that. I'd rather bite the bullet and dig out a bunch of well-planned and inter-connected metro lines in the city for main arteries and then do some cable car style-system for secondary routes.

Plus real bike lanes.

Even with lower gas prices, you aren't getting to NYC and back, with gas, tolls and parking, for less than $100.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Even with lower gas prices, you aren't getting to NYC and back, with gas, tolls and parking, for less than $100.

Okay fair but I'm still not paying $100+ each way on a MagLev when the Bolt bus exists.

@pjd0014

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

$98 round trip on Amtrak with the low cost fare. If you're going alone it's probably the best deal, if not then it's better to drive.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Okay fair but I'm still not paying $100+ each way on a MagLev when the Bolt bus exists.

You couldn't pay me to ride the Bolt Bus

@bopper33

#47 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

Marge_vs._the_Monorail_(promo_card).png

#48 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

You couldn't pay me to ride the Bolt Bus

Megabus is pretty bad, too.

Used to be DIRT cheap and it outweighed the ghettoness of the bus experience, but not anymore.

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

I had a ticket for a 6 pm bus. At 715 the 5 pm bus showed up.

@bopper33

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Plus I sat next to a baby that I'm pretty sure had SARS.

@bopper33

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

The Chinatown bus laughs at you all calling Bolt or Mega ghetto.

• Matt_P likes this

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Round-trip from my house to the Hoboken PATH station is 330 miles, or a little less than what my car can get on a tank. So at current prices, that's $25. Tolls on the Jersey Turnpike to Exit 14 and back come to $25. Round-trip on the PATH is $5.50, and parking close to the station is around $15 for a full day on the weekend. Finally, the one-way tolls on the Tydings and Delaware Memorial bridges come to $10. That's round-trip to New York for ~$80, and leaves me with cash for seven subway trips without breaking $100.

@DJ_McCann

#53 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

Round-trip from my house to the Hoboken PATH station is 330 miles, or a little less than what my car can get on a tank. So at current prices, that's $25. Tolls on the Jersey Turnpike to Exit 14 and back come to $25. Round-trip on the PATH is $5.50, and parking close to the station is around $15 for a full day on the weekend. Finally, the one-way tolls on the Tydings and Delaware Memorial bridges come to $10. That's round-trip to New York for ~$80, and leaves me with cash for seven subway trips without breaking $100.

Yeah, but you're way understating the cost-per-mile for your car... (unless you're driving a beater until it dies....)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#54 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Plus real bike lanes.

Sure. But if your employer wants you to go to NYC for a meeting then they'll probably spring for the MagLev that gets you there in an hour as opposed to Bolt which will take four.

For a weekend vacation it probably doesn't make sense for some. But for a day long trip it could. And it certainly would kill Amtrak.

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Or it would make Amtrak lower their prices. I can't believe what they charge.

@bopper33

#56 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

Yup. Way expensive for slow service.

#57 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Sure. But if your employer wants you to go to NYC for a meeting then they'll probably spring for the MagLev that gets you there in an hour as opposed to Bolt which will take four.

For a weekend vacation it probably doesn't make sense for some. But for a day long trip it could. And it certainly would kill Amtrak.

Yeah, that was my point. It'd be great for business travel on an expense account, but not for anyone trying to take multiperson transport for personal reasons.

@pjd0014

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

The only way passenger rail service can be cheap is via large subsidies... people don't weigh enough, and they demand that most of the car is filled with nothing but air...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

http://www.baltimore...1107-story.html

Maryland gets $27.8 million to perform a study on a Baltimore-Washington MagLev line.

@DJ_McCann

#60 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

http://www.baltimore...1107-story.html

Maryland gets $27.8 million to perform a study on a Baltimore-Washington MagLev line.

Let's hope the Japanese really, really, really want a successful demonstration of the OMG Goodness of these things, and that they want it to be right where Congress is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=