#101 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, and US 40 was used by horses before we put cars on it coast-to-coast....

The only way it's gonna happen is to use that right-of-way for most of it... might have to widen the right-of-way...

I swear, if we listened to you, we'd never do anything, ever... except have more smelly buses....

Ok.  This made me actually crack up.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#102 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

It'll be interesting to see what these quarter-of-a-billion-dollar studies turn up.

And speaking of finishing dates, is there a target date for the results found from the studies? THAT could take 5-10 years.

Perhaps the biggest positive is that Hogan is on board with it...but he could also very well be a one-term Gov. and the studies may not even be completed by then.

I agree that could take way more time than it should...

This Exhibit A of why we need a president who wants to commit to doing amazing things and doesn't have the other party trying to cut his throat at every turn... this is the kind of thing that will rise or fall based on the moron-factor of our political system....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#103 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

I'm all for MagLev. And I agree we should pioneer building cool shit again.

However the political climate and the divide that comes along with that isn't conducive to projects like this....especially projects where NIMBY's will be running wild.

These latest developments are very positive, though. Here's hoping for the best.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#104 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm all for MagLev. And I agree we should pioneer building cool shit again.

However the political climate and the divide that comes along with that isn't conducive to projects like this....especially projects where NIMBY's will be running wild.

These latest developments are very positive, though. Here's hoping for the best.

The problem isn't political disagreement... the problem is the total lack of concern for doing cool shit... people can disagree about all manner of political crap and still get behind doing cool stuff...  what we need is political leaders from both parties who can recognize cool shit and agree to make it happen... it's a leadership problem more than a purely political problem...

If the leadership problem got solved, then we could handle the NIMBY's... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#105 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

The problem isn't political disagreement... the problem is the total lack of concern for doing cool shit... people can disagree about all manner of political crap and still get behind doing cool stuff...  what we need is political leaders from both parties who can recognize cool shit and agree to make it happen... it's a leadership problem more than a purely political problem...

We build cool shit...for the military.  ;)

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#106 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

We build cool shit...for the military.  ;)

Whether they want it or not  ;-)

#107 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

The development group I run had The Northeast Maglev speak at our meeting Tuesday night.

Definitely interesting.

#108 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

The development group I run had The Northeast Maglev speak at our meeting Tuesday night.

Definitely interesting.

While I'm sure the speaker(s) was probably confident about its prospects, how much of a pipe dream is/isn't it, in your opinion?

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

While I'm sure the speaker(s) was probably confident about its prospects, how much of a pipe dream is/isn't it, in your opinion?

Has political support both aisles behind closed doors...  but going to require public funding, so will see how much support is maintained then. Best case scenario was shovel to ground in 3 years, with 7-8 years of build.  Baltimore to DC needing to happen first for the rest of the Northeast to happen.

#110 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

They've narrowed the potential MagLev route down to two possibilities, both of which parallel I-295.  Sounds like it's still going to be an uphill battle, though.

https://www.washingt...m=.a35e291b2b53

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=