#241 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm joking, sort of. I'm glad they are doing things the right way. I can't express that enough.

But being completely hypothetical, they got some real players, and a real QB, they win the conference a few times, maybe a couple trips to the BCS playoffs, a heisman for the school. Then four years after the fact you find out they did it the wrong way, and the joke of a punishment is that they can't go to a bowl game next year, but they're a 7 win team anyway that year, and It means missing out on the "Macaroni and cheese Bowl", would it be worth it?

Again, not condoning cheating. I'd like to see more death penalties to scare schools straight and make college athletics fair. So the best scouts and coaches and programs really win. But if the fine for driving 100MPH was a dollar, I'd probably drive 100MPH.

Yeah I know what you are saying and I know it goes on more than it's reported. Not trying to try to act like the moral police other. I just think this discussion should be restricted to to legitimate ways to win. Sort of like saying the best way to prepare for the test is to sit behind the smartest kid in the class since the teacher doesn't look out for cheating.

And yes that's why we have laws, if the speed limit were higher people would be even taking more risks. You know if you go 50+ over the speed limit, the penalties are much higher than going 20 over. I hate rules, but they're a necessary evil.

@levineps

#242 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Maryland football Coach Randy Edsall refuses to take blame for team’s shortcomings (Washington Post)

Note Feinstein is a long-time Edsall hater.

Let’s see, is there anyone else who might be responsible for those failings?

Could it possibly be the head coach? Could it be the guy who has “one job to do” during the season — to get his players to do all those simple things? Edsall is the king of the “I coached good, they played bad” coaching fraternity. Even when he grudgingly conceded a mistake — like texting his Connecticut players to tell them he was leaving for Maryland — he has to qualify it by saying something like, “Sometimes it’s tough being in a profession where you can’t always do the things you want to.”

Good coaches win more games late in the season, not fewer — or, in Edsall’s case to date, none after Oct. 13 since he arrived in College Park. Good coaches do not throw their players under the bus by referring to them, as “they,” as if he hasn’t even met them, much less failed to coach them well.

Maryland is 1-4 since that day, outscored 157-40 in the losses. Sadly for Maryland, Edsall’s not going anywhere because the school can’t possibly afford to buy him out right now.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#243 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

No matter how Edsall chooses to spin it, he's been around long enough to know that the player's failings will ultimately fall on him. Can't get the players to do what you want them to? Then either you aren't reaching them, or you should have signed players who will. The majority of the guys playing now are players he brought in, so the "no accountability until I got here" spiel doesn't fly anymore.

• Oriole85, Greg Pappas and Baltimore Chop like this

#244 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

No matter how Edsall chooses to spin it, he's been around long enough to know that the player's failings will ultimately fall on him. Can't get the players to do what you want them to? Then either you aren't reaching them, or you should have signed players who will. The majority of the guys playing now are players he brought in, so the "no accountability until I got here" spiel doesn't fly anymore.

I didn't like when he did it his first year trashing Ralph, now it's on him. Have injuries hampered this team sure, but the Wake/Syracuse results were inexcusable.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#245 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

I think his lack of responsibility is what pisses MD fans off the most. He's done that since he stepped foot in the door.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#246 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

I didn't like when he did it his first year trashing Ralph, now it's on him. Have injuries hampered this team sure, but the Wake/Syracuse results were inexcusable.

I agree they're unacceptable... But the reality is we ARE Wake and Syracuse. We all like to pretend we should be better year in and year out... But by and large, we're really no different. That's the reality. And at the end of the day, Edsall won't take us past that tier.

#247 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

I agree they're unacceptable... But the reality is we ARE Wake and Syracuse. We all like to pretend we should be better year in and year out... But by and large, we're really no different. That's the reality. And at the end of the day, Edsall won't take us past that tier.

Maybe I'm a bit myopic, but I think the potential ceiling is just a bit higher for MD than it is for Syracuse and especially for Wake. It just comes down to finding the coach who can take them there.

#248 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Maybe I'm a bit myopic, but I think the ceiling is just a bit higher for MD than it is for Wake and Syracuse.

Oh, it is for sure... but ceiling vs. reality are two different things. As much as it sucks, that's who we are.

#249 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Oh, it is for sure... but ceiling vs. reality are two different things. As much as it sucks, that's who we are.

Gotcha, I probably misread when you said we think MD "should" be better than them. I don't think we're that off base in believing that ought to be the case.

#250 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Gotcha, I probably misread when you said we think MD "should" be better than them. I don't think we're that off base in believing that ought to be the case.

No biggy, didn't word that right. I definitely think we should be better... but given our past, it's kind of foolish to get too pissed about it... we've always been bad/mediocre, with a few exceptions. It is what it is. Maryland football is basically an eternal source of frustration.

#251 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

We shouldn't be losing in the fashion we did to them, that's what I'm saying especially the Syracuse game. Edsall went 4-0 almost exclusively against bottomfeeders, capped by his best win so far against WVU. That probably raised expectations. Anyone still complaining about a lack of respect for not being in the top 25? 

I'm getting there, not quite yet, the Syracuse game was a low mark for me like many others on here.

@levineps

#252 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

Maybe I'm a bit myopic, but I think the potential ceiling is just a bit higher for MD than it is for Syracuse and especially for Wake. It just comes down to finding the coach who can take them there.

Syracuse has a decent football history, not quite what it is for basketball. I'm not sure how much higher Maryland's ceiling is if at all. In terms of Wake, sure I agree.

@levineps

#253 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

We shouldn't be losing in the fashion we did to them, that's what I'm saying especially the Syracuse game. Edsall went 4-0 almost exclusively against bottomfeeders, capped by his best win so far against WVU. That probably raised expectations. Anyone still complaining about a lack of respect for not being in the top 25? 

I'm getting there, not quite yet, the Syracuse game was a low mark for me like many others on here.

I agree, to be clear. 

I guess what I'm saying, and my whole point in even going there, was that when you take a second and take a few steps back and look at the situation, MD Football is who we thought they were, as the great Denny Green would put it. 

#254 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

I agree, to be clear. 

I guess what I'm saying, and my whole point in even going there, was that when you take a second and take a few steps back and look at the situation, MD Football is who we thought they were, as the great Denny Green would put it. 

(Channeling my Bill Maher here) New rule for MD sports fan: temper expectations after a watered down out-of-conference schedule?

We saw the same thing in basketball last year. They lose to only UK, beat VT at home and everyone is like "why aren't we ranked." 

@levineps

#255 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:07 AM

(Channeling my Bill Maher here) New rule for MD sports fan: temper expectations after a watered down out-of-conference schedule?

We saw the same thing in basketball last year. They lose to only UK, beat VT at home and everyone is like "why aren't we ranked." 

Yeah, and the UK loss was very close, just like this year's UConn loss. 

I was leading the "Why aren't we ranked" bitch fest on here, and it's embarrassing in hindsight. These pollsters are generally pretty good, as much as people like to whine about them. 

I also predicted a 14-4 ACC record last year for the Terps... so I was all-in on the Turge kool-aid. If we could never talk about my pre-season MD predictions last year again, that'd be swell. :lol:

#256 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Yeah, and the UK loss was very close, just like this year's UConn loss. 

I was leading the "Why aren't we ranked" bitch fest on here, and it's embarrassing in hindsight. These pollsters are generally pretty good, as much as people like to whine about them. 

I also predicted a 14-4 ACC record last year for the Terps... so I was all-in on the Turge kool-aid. If we could never talk about my pre-season MD predictions last year again, that'd be swell. :lol:

Or just keep the same preseason predictions and don't adjust them before conference play begins.

@levineps

#257 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

I had them just making a bowl game, but naturally I thought that was too low coming off the 4-0 start.

@levineps

#258 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Syracuse has a decent football history, not quite what it is for basketball. I'm not sure how much higher Maryland's ceiling is if at all. In terms of Wake, sure I agree.

If you go back, Syracuse does have a great football history, but they haven't been relevant nationally since early in the Paul Pasqualoni era in the 90's. End of the day, UM has been better overall since the turn of the century, has been and will be in a more prestigious football conference, and is certainly in a location that produces more D-1 players nearby. They should be better than Syracuse more often than not. 

#259 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

If you go back, Syracuse does have a great football history, but they haven't been relevant nationally since early in the Paul Pasqualoni era in the 90's. End of the day, UM has been better overall since the turn of the century, has been and will be in a more prestigious football conference, and is certainly in a location that produces more D-1 players nearby. They should be better than Syracuse more often than not. 

Yeah, they've have been more relevant if your arbitrary starting point is when Ralph took over. Depending on your definition of relevance (finishing in the top 25?). The early 2000s, Friedgen's last year? That's four years. Syracuse only once. Syracuse was last relevant in 2001, finishing 14th. Syracuse has been in bowls in two of the past three years.

Not sure if being in a more prestigious football conference is all that's made out to be, it means they'll have to do better as well to remain relevant. They'll be relevant after they get in the conference, but it will wear down if they are a 3-9, 4-8 team.

In terms of the recruiting base, sure. I'm guessing they recruit more nationally however. (sorry not too familiar with Syracuse recruiting)

I'm just not so convinced they should be better than Syracuse. I think they can be, but it's not a slam dunk.

Like Ricker was saying we look down on Syracuse/Wake, but they probably do the same thing with us.

@levineps

#260 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

It's not as bad as you are trying to make it out to be now. I remember it as well. 

http://maryland.247s...rs-Ago-661252/4

You don't remember well enough. This was originally a thread on the most active MD sports board there is out there. The original post was made right around the day Edsall was hired. The email itself was from a TC member bashing the hire. The following responses were the heavy majority of fans/alumni praising the letter and discussing it.

Again, before Edsll even coached a single game. Before he had a MD press conference. There were many more threads like this. I hope more are bumped so I can post them as well

Also, I don't care if Cerrano says fans/alumini aren't good enough. The fans/alumni are ultimately the ones that matter. They're the ones who are going to invest time and money in the program. The bottom line is 75-80% of the fans were not excited about the Edsll hire. Some were angrier than others.  Some were willing to give him a shot but admitted he didn't move the needle. There was literally 1 or 2 out of every 10 people who showed excitement over the Edsall hire.

I know Stoner visits that board, or at least used too. Either way, I'm sure he generally remembers the pulse of MD fans/alumni when Edsall was hired. He also should be able to tell it that it was "that bad". Again, if not complete angry about the Edsall hire, at least the apathy.  I'm sure Mackus could too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=