#281 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I was never happy that Edsall was hired three years ago, but the one thing that has seemingly improved has been recruiting. While I, along with the majority of MD fans, want Edsall gone, I believe that Anderson has little choice to retain him and hope that the injuries to star players stop and that the 4-star and 5-star talents choose UMD. We need Gray, Tabor and Price types to come, adding to some healthy talent already on the way and currently here. There's certainly enough talent in the area to produce a consistent Top 25 program. The major key to our success moving forward hinges more on the play of our lines, both offensive and defensive. This next class is crucial, especially on the O-line. While Aniebonam is coming,our D-line gets pushed around far too often, and can't make nearly enough plays. The SEC is rife with great lineman, and the B1G has been traditionally strong there as well... and we need to recruit big time to get to that level. 

It would not surprise me that if everything falls our way next season, we could see a bowl-bound Terps in 2014, even with Edsall at the helm.

BTW-- I thing DC Brian Stewart is a potential Head Coach candidate and a guy I believe will eventually shine, whether here or somewhere else. Locksley, on the other hand, is a 'meh' OC, but a great recruiter. We need to keep him on board in some capacity... I just wish it could be as a recruiter only. :P

#282 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Baltimore Sun: Revisiting the Terps football team's coaching search before Randy Edsall was hired

http://www.baltimore...34.photogallery

Skinny: In a vacuum, Edsall has been the least successful of the six coaches considered for the vacancy he ultimately filled. But mitigating circumstances keep the former Connecticut coach from being the runaway worst hire. In 2011, his first season, the number of transfers was overhwelming and the play of Danny O'Brien underwhelming. In 2012, the Terps needed a linebacker to play quarterback. Only this season did the program take a step forward. As significant as Maryland's inaugural year in the Big Ten Conference next season is for the program, it could be even more important for Edsall's job security.

@levineps

#283 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Didn't realize or remember Rich Roid's name.

@levineps

#284 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Saw that article and was immediately angry. Here goes:

1. James Franklin - Left before the Terps really had a chance to consider him. The whole coach-in-waiting thing was really stupid, and Friedgen didn't want to leave. I always thought Franklin would jump to another job before Fridge left anyway.

2. June Jones - Never wanted this job. He still won't leave SMU.

3. Mike Leach - Character concerns combined with the fact that he didn't really want to be here. In hindsight, I don't know how well his "Air Raid" offense would transfer to a conference like the Big Ten.

4. Gus Malzahn - Was never coming here. Plain and simple.

5. Rich Rodriguez - Again, never really had a chance to come here. This was more about rules violations than anything else.

Extremely unrealistic list of coaches. Despite success, Ralph never succeeded in making Maryland a good job. I think Randy is doing a great job of marketing the "Maryland" brand alongside Kevin Plank and Kevin Anderson. The Maryland flag has become a fashion symbol. Scarves, socks, shorts, shirts, car accessories, etc. You never saw that with Ralph and Debbie Yow. Say what you will about Edsall and Kevin Anderson, but they've grown the Maryland brand nationwide.

@BSLZackKiesel

#285 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Saw that article and was immediately angry. Here goes:

1. James Franklin - Left before the Terps really had a chance to consider him. The whole coach-in-waiting thing was really stupid, and Friedgen didn't want to leave. I always thought Franklin would jump to another job before Fridge left anyway.

2. June Jones - Never wanted this job. He still won't leave SMU.

3. Mike Leach - Character concerns combined with the fact that he didn't really want to be here. In hindsight, I don't know how well his "Air Raid" offense would transfer to a conference like the Big Ten.

4. Gus Malzahn - Was never coming here. Plain and simple.

5. Rich Rodriguez - Again, never really had a chance to come here. This was more about rules violations than anything else.

Didn't Franklin ask KA if he would promote him after Fridge contract expired. And KA said he would be considered but couldn't guarantee it?

June Jones wanted to leave for ASU I believe, but their boosters didn't want him. Doesn't mean he'd have come to MD. ASU is a better job after all.

Leach was cold feet about people higher than KA IMO. I do think he would've come here. He didn't have much choices.

Malzahn- I tend to agree with you was a long shot in the first place. He turned down better or equal jobs other places. He was willing to take a paycut from OC at Auburn to be HC at Arkansas St.

Rich Roid- I do think he would've come here, not like UofA is some traditional powerhouse, plus his roots are closer to here.

Bottomline, lots of hindsight and who really knows. If Malzahn was only here for a year or two, sure you could argue MD would be in better shape, but who knows how much really. It's easier to win at Auburn than here. I would still have preferred Leach to Edsall. I'm not giving up on Edsall by any measure, still want to see what he does next year.

@levineps

#286 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Extremely unrealistic list of coaches. Despite success, Ralph never succeeded in making Maryland a good job. I think Randy is doing a great job of marketing the "Maryland" brand alongside Kevin Plank and Kevin Anderson. The Maryland flag has become a fashion symbol. Scarves, socks, shorts, shirts, car accessories, etc. You never saw that with Ralph and Debbie Yow. Say what you will about Edsall and Kevin Anderson, but they've grown the Maryland brand nationwide.

Take it from someone who lives outside the area, UM does not have a nationwide brand right now.

• BSLChrisStoner, Oriole85, Greg Pappas and 1 other like this

#287 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Take it from someone who lives outside the area, UM does not have a nationwide brand right now.

Lol. Yeah. They don't really have a brand in this state right now.

#288 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

The "brand" only works if they winning. I said the night of Edsall's first game, no one would care about the uniforms and apparel if they didn't sustain success. The "fashion show" worked for a short period of time but at the end of the day, it's about the results on the field and the "Maryland pride" stuff can complement it. How fashionable would the Ducks be if they were sub-500 team for the most part for the past decade?

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@levineps

#289 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

The "brand" only works if they winning. I said the night of Edsall's first game, no one would care about the uniforms and apparel if they didn't sustain success. The "fashion show" worked for a short period of time but at the end of the day, it's about the results on the field and the "Maryland pride" stuff can complement it. How fashionable would the Ducks be if they were sub-500 team for the most part for the past decade?

Sums it up. I will say that going to the Big Ten will provide them a better platform upon which to establish a brand (for football, at least). But if they aren't competing, it won't matter.

#290 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Sums it up. I will say that going to the Big Ten will provide them a better platform upon which to establish a brand (for football, at least). But if they are competing, it won't matter.

Totally agree on the B1G move. There's a good amount of buzz for the move to the conference. We're talking about a potential big football game that is 10 months away after all. And having a program like Ohio State come into Byrd is a big deal; to some extent, regardless of their record at the time (or OSUs for that matter).

But if they are performing like they have on both the hardwood and on the football field in recent years, that buzz will fade away after a few seasons.

@levineps

#291 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

I agree that right now they don't have a nationwide brand. But it's growing a lot faster and a lot better than it did with Friedgen and Yow. Like I said, the Maryland flag is everywhere now. I've had many people come in from out of state who notice it and are surprised. They immediately make the connection between the University and the flag apparel.

I also disagree that they don't have an in-state brand. Maryland is never going to be a college state. We have pro teams that take precedence (as I would always expect). But they are THE state school for athletics, and people realize that. Why else do you think they got so much red at M&T for the WVU game in the rain? Not to mention that, with the added emphasis on in-state recruiting, a lot of high school students and parents are more interested in Terps football (again, I've talked to many and this is definitely the case).

I'm not saying that they don't have large brands right now, but I absolutely believe that the brand is growing both in-state and nationwide, especially with the move to the Big Ten. Like Madison said, the big boost to the brand will come with wins. Texas A&M and Missouri didn't become household names until they started winning. But the move to the SEC certainly helped. All I'm saying is that they're on the right track with the brand. They're years and years away from where they want to be, but they're in such better shape than they were 3 years ago with that.

@BSLZackKiesel

#292 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

I bet if you polled every single citizen living in the state only 50ish % would know who Edsall was. Or even that he was associated with UMD. Maybe less than 50%.

#293 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

I bet if you polled every single citizen living in the state only 50ish % would know who Edsall was. Or even that he was associated with UMD. Maybe less than 50%.

Do you think there's any real difference in the % between Edsall and Turgeon in that regard?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#294 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

I think you're right. Edsall has a long way to go in this regard.

How many CURRENT sports figures in Maryland would be recognized by over 50% of the state's population?

@levineps

#295 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

I think you're right. Edsall has a long way to go in this regard.

How many CURRENT sports figures in Maryland would be recognized by over 50% of the state's population?

By recognize do you mean do they know the name, or would they have to pick the person out of a lineup?

#296 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

By recognize do you mean do they know the name, or would they have to pick the person out of a lineup?

Know the name

@levineps

#297 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Orioles: Peter Angelos, Buck Showalter, Adam Jones, Chris Davis, Manny Machado

Ravens: Steve Bisciotti, Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Torrey Smith (maybe...because of his time at UM too)

Others: Michael Phelps

#298 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

Orioles: Peter Angelos, Buck Showalter, Adam Jones, Chris Davis, Manny Machado

Ravens: Steve Bisciotti, Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Torrey Smith

Others: Michael Phelps

Just to clarify, you go to various places around the state, ask them if they've heard of [person X] and they'd be able to say their affiliation and title? (not as much emphasis on the latter)

I'm kind of surprised you didn't include Michael Oher given The Blind Side fame. 

Do you think with the "picture test," there would be over 50% or more as well with the people you've included?

@levineps

#299 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

Just to clarify, you go to various places around the state, ask them if they've heard of [person X] and they'd be able to say their affiliation and title? (not as much emphasis on the latter)

I'm kind of surprised you didn't include Michael Oher given The Blind Side fame. 

Do you think with the "picture test," there would be over 50% or more as well with the people you've included?

Much less with the photo/lineup thing. Especially for football players, since most of the time they are seen their face is obscured.

I'm fairly confident with my list. I thought about Oher, but it seems like The Blind Side thing ran its course a while ago. Went back and forth on Matt Wieters and Nick Markakis, since both have been prominent Orioles players for a few years now, but both are kind of understated and neither had a great season last year (and I assume we are asking people as of right now). Another thing is if you're just asking a name, Wieters and Markakis aren't names that will often get confused with other people....whereas if I just went up to someone asking "who is Chris Davis or Adam Jones" that could actually make it tougher for someone to identify. It would be an interesting study.

#300 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Do you think there's any real difference in the % between Edsall and Turgeon in that regard?

Yeah. I would say Turgeon is a good 10% better. Two related reasons.

1. The MD basketball program is higher profile than the football program.

2. Turgeon is following a legend at MD. I think some would just recognize the name as being Gary's successor.

Also, a lot of those associated with the Ravens would be recognized. Especially, the players. People might not be able to tell you what position Dennis Pitta or Ledaris Webb play but they know they are Ravens players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=