#61 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

Great outing tonight, I'm kind of curious when they'll let him loose again and give him another shot in the majors.
@levineps

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Great outing tonight, I'm kind of curious when they'll let him loose again and give him another shot in the majors.

It'll be long after he has more than just one solid start. He's been bordering on terrible all season at AAA. This is encouraging and re-affirms what we already knew he can do when he is on. The problem for Tillman is that when he isn't at his absolute best, he's been worse than mediocre. He needs to get way more consistent if he ever wants another shot at starting in the majors.

He's almost out of time before needing to be tried in the bullpen. Hopefully he knows that and last night's start is the first step towards re-establishing himself as someone who is worthy of remaining a starter and getting a shot at the MLB level.

#63 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

This is obviously Tillman's best start of the year, but I'd say it's his 4th solid start in his last 6 games. 4 times he's gone at least 6 innings and given up 2 runs or less. Now, in 3 of them, it was exactly 6 innings and 2 runs, but that's still a big improvement over some of his earlier starts.

I think a couple more solid starts and he could be back on everyone's radar. Of course, a couple terrible starts and he could find himself in the pen. Seems like a bit of a crossroads for Tillman.

@AdamWolff

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

It'll be long after he has more than just one solid start. He's been bordering on terrible all season at AAA. This is encouraging and re-affirms what we already knew he can do when he is on. The problem for Tillman is that when he isn't at his absolute best, he's been worse than mediocre. He needs to get way more consistent if he ever wants another shot at starting in the majors.

He's almost out of time before needing to be tried in the bullpen. Hopefully he knows that and last night's start is the first step towards re-establishing himself as someone who is worthy of remaining a starter and getting a shot at the MLB level.

I disagree he has been terrible. The bb rate is the troubling thing. But the k and hr rates are excellent. He is getting more gbs as well.

#65 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Tillman had a horrible April but he was pretty solid in May.

I wrote up something on Norfolk starters earlier today and here's what I had to say about Tillman:

Earlier in the minor league season Chris Tillman wasn’t looking like much of anything to write home about, but he’s been on a pretty good tear recently (1 hit over 8 shutout innings in his last start). He posted a 5.30 ERA in April but has rebounded nicely in May, posting a 3.64 ERA and striking out 38 batters in 42 innings of work. Now, all of a sudden Tillman is looking like someone who may be deserving of a mid to late-season call-up if he continues to post numbers like he did in May.

Here's the piece I wrote up in it's entirety if anyone is interested:http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=2580

Tillman is starting to come around and if he has an equally strong June then I think we could see him up in July if another starter gets hurt or becomes dispensible through bad performance.

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Really would be nice to see Tillman for 10 or so ML starts this year.

#67 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Really would be nice to see Tillman for 10 or so ML starts this year.

We just may get to see that if we go to a 6 man rotation to spread Chen's starts out some once July/August get here.

Or if someone goes down, he'll be on the short list if he has another strong month.

#68 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't wanna jinx him, but...

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Chris Tillman with 4 perfect innings so far with AAA Norfolk. In his last start, allowed 1 hit and fanned 9 in 8 scoreless innings #orioles

#69 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

RT @NorfolkTides Final line on Tillman: 6.2-IP, 1-H, 2-R, 2-ER, 1-BB. 7-K. 107 pitches, 64 strikes.

#70 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

RT @NorfolkTides Final line on Tillman: 6.2-IP, 1-H, 2-R, 2-ER, 1-BB. 7-K. 107 pitches, 64 strikes.

Trade value??
@JeremyMStrain

#71 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Trade value??

Honestly, if he has another good outing or 2, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the bigs again. Maybe Peterson's fixes helped him out.

#72 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

I go back and forth on that too. On the one hand I'd love to see him figure it out and become a solid #3. On the other, if he comes up and gets rocked AGAIN, he'll cement himself as a 4A pitcher and he'll have NO value. With that question about what he might be I think he's got more trade value in a package deal.
@JeremyMStrain

#73 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Great progress but still not pleased with his pitch counts. In the majors that would have been a 6.0 inning start at best.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I go back and forth on that too. On the one hand I'd love to see him figure it out and become a solid #3. On the other, if he comes up and gets rocked AGAIN, he'll cement himself as a 4A pitcher and he'll have NO value. With that question about what he might be I think he's got more trade value in a package deal.

I am fine with either. He certainly could be someone in a trade for a guy like Headley.

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

The bullpen let in the second run.

#76 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

If he got rocked again in the rotation, wouldn't the bullpen be a legit last resort?

I'm guessing his trade value is low enough where I'd prefer to just ride it out with him and hope he can produce.

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

If he got rocked again in the rotation, wouldn't the bullpen be a legit last resort?

I'm guessing his trade value is low enough where I'd prefer to just ride it out with him and hope he can produce.

I would have to think Tillman is still a legit 2nd piece in a deal for a player the caliber of Headley.

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

I would have to think Tillman is still a legit 2nd piece in a deal for a player the caliber of Headley.

Well my quarrel with that would likely be more with giving up the first piece to get a guy like Headley because that guy would have to be quite a bit more valuable than Tillman imo.

#79 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

If he stays in the minors and continues to pitch like this, maybe, but I don't think anyone will be too impressed with a ERA of 4 in Harbor Park. I've always been a big Tillman fan, so there's a little bit of bias in this statement, but I'd much rather see him flame out in the bigs than trade him. As others have said, unless he's used as a piece in a Headley-esque trade (which as I said, I'm skeptical about,) I think it behooves the Orioles to ride or die with Tillman. There's enough upside there to intrigue me--even more so considering our SP woes.
  • mweb08 likes this

#80 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Well said. Ditto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=