• Please log in to reply
597 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

MASN was not showing the velocity, but there seemed to be some life to Tillman's fastball today.
Mechanically looked better. Interesting story from Palmer about what Tillman's HS Coaches incorrectly told him.

#22 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

https://twitter.com/... ... 2870033408
@JeffLongBP

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

In a CSN Baltimore piece on Chen yesterday, Showalter was noted as being particularly impressed with Tillman who struck out the side in the eighth. His fastball reached 96 mph. several times, according to Showalter.

#24 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

That's really encouraging if that's the kind of velocity he's back to. With all the focus on Britton, Matusz, and Arrieta, a lot of people have really overlooked the possibility of Tillman still turning into a Major League pitcher. He's still super young (turns 24 in a few weeks) and you never know. Great to see the velocity is back, though.

@AdamWolff

#25 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Agreed Adam... you never know. I will say that due to his inabilty -thus far- to last long into games, that the O's may eventually unleash him in the pen, and allow him more freedom to let it loose for shorter stints. It may wind up being his long-term role if (keyword=if) the starter gig falls short.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

On the mound tonight vs. Charlotte.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Tillman gone after 4.1ip, allowing 7 hits, 1 hr, 4 er, 2 bb's, with 2 k's.

Adams had 2 errors. The HR was to Conor Jackson. Not the way you wanted to see Tillman begin his season. Pressure will be on to deliver better results the next time out.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sadly, typical Tillman. Like I said before, give him til sometime in June to see if he's really made huge strides. If not, start grooming him as a RP.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

5.2 innings, 3 hits, 0 er, 2 bb's, with 8's tonight for Tillman.

He threw 100 pitches, 64 for strikes. He got 8 Charlotte Knights to ground out.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Another disappointing outing for Tillman last night.

4/17: 3.1 ip, 3 hits, 3 er, 5 bb's, 3 k's

#31 FeartheNoodle

FeartheNoodle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

There is certainly no harm in giving him the full season at AAA as a starter, but it's becoming more and more clear to me that if he has a future in the majors, it is going to be as a reliever.
@FeartheNoodle

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

I would give him until the mid-way point of this season to find some consistency as a SP.

After that, I would make him a RP. How long are we going to give a guy who has shown no progress over, what, 5 years now?

It's time to do something with Tillman or risk losing him forever.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Horrible outing but I still want him starting and working with Peterson until Peterson believes that going to the pen is what is best for him long term.

#34 FeartheNoodle

FeartheNoodle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

There is no reason to be quick to move him out of the rotation. Next year, he is out of options. Theoretically, they can wait until next spring before converting him to a short-relief role. Let him have a full, uninterrupted year at AAA as a starter and see if he can find some consistency.
@FeartheNoodle

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I would give him until the mid-way point of this season to find some consistency as a SP.

After that, I would make him a RP. How long are we going to give a guy who has shown no progress over, what, 5 years now?

I agree with this approach. Give him 2-3 months to try and show he can still be a starter, and then if that doesn't work out, transition him to the bullpen. Hopefully his velocity can get into the mid-90s as a short-inning reliever, and he can get by only needing 2 pitchers.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Since is out of options (OOO) next year, you need to find him a role on the 2013 team at some point or else we're going to lose him for nothing. Now, maybe losing him doesn't mean much since he just can't put it together, but if he can't hack it as a SP, I want to see what he can do as a RP.

Right now, he's probably the 7th or 8th best SP on the 40 man and you don't have the time to let him have another Tillman-esque season as a SP in AAA.

If he is still doing this crap in June or July, it's time to convert him to the bullpen so he can have a shot to make the team in 2013.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 FeartheNoodle

FeartheNoodle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I don't think you necessarily have to transition him to the bullpen during the season. That can be accomplished during ST. I think he showed signs in ST this year that he could potentially be an asset in the bullpen.
@FeartheNoodle

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I don't think you necessarily have to transition him to the bullpen during the season. That can be accomplished during ST. I think he showed signs in ST this year that he could potentially be an asset in the bullpen.

Why wait, though?

Tillman has years of evidence saying that he can't put it together. Aside from working with Peterson, I don't see what can be gained by giving him another 2 months, even. But I don't think you can enter 2013 with Tillman making the change to RP. You're only giving him 1.5 months to make the change, in practice games, and hoping that he is able to make the team. If he doesn't, you lose him.

So IMO, you have to start the transition sooner than later and hope that he's further along by 2013.

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I agree with those who want to give him until about mid-season, and then if he's still struggling, move him to the pen.

I also think that if he can put together a few good starts in a row, that he would be in line for a promotion if Matusz doesn't turn it around and if Wada turns into what many expect, which is a reliever.

#40 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Anyone hear anything about where Tillman was sitting with his fastball?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=